diyaudio.com - An unsafe site??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hrmm. I got stuck with one of the fake "YOU MAY HAVE A VIRUS!" jobbies the other day. I think Thursday (9/10), around 4:45 pm local time. At the time I was on this website and gmail.

I assume that it was something crawling around via another method, but since this came up I thought I'd mention it.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
This isn't a complaint, just a report in case it has meaning for the admin., when coming in this time, my machine asked to connect to

1) number number blah blah yahoodns . . . . .
2) bid.openx.net

openx was the one I couldn't remember that tried to connect the time I mentioned in post above.

Oh yeah, this IS using Firefox, on Mac

Thanks

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
This isn't a complaint, just a report in case it has meaning for the admin., when coming in this time, my machine asked to connect to

1) number number blah blah yahoodns . . . . .
2) bid.openx.net

openx was the one I couldn't remember that tried to connect the time I mentioned in post above.

Oh yeah, this IS using Firefox, on Mac

Thanks

Thanks for the report. OpenX is our ad serving program. At the moment we're trialling something that connects to the main OpenX servers to work out what ads to serve. Not sure about the yahoo DNS stuff, probably something to do with the google ads.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks for the report. OpenX is our ad serving program. At the moment we're trialling something that connects to the main OpenX servers to work out what ads to serve. Not sure about the yahoo DNS stuff, probably something to do with the google ads.

Roger that Jason.
It's actually neat to hear back the other way (from you) as it gives me a little more feel for what's actually going on when my computer is telling me that apparently unrelated sites are trying to connect. I was starting to find them all suspicious, which isn't much fun. You get a thanks!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Interesting. Coming in with Firefox on the Mac, I actually denied access to all the Yahoo addresses that were requesting permissions but it didn't seem to make any difference to navigating through the site.
When I enter using Safari I don't even get the requests. . . . .

Thanks Jason

Far out, hasn't anyone dumped FF in favour of Chrome?
I love Chrome - Google FTW!

yes , I have . chrome will run circles around either FF or IE -X . where a REAL malicious site will "nuke IE" or crash FF , chrome will just throw up a red sandboxed warning window asking , " do you really want to?? " :cloud9:

As far as being an "unsafe site" , from the client side .. I do not see this.
8 cookies (attachment 1) .. seems normal , they do disappear after the session.

.. I "hid behind my proxy" (attachment 2) , and logged what requests the page (DIYA) made. Nothing out of the ordinary ... the yahoo scripts , google- analytics , and 3 open X ad- server requests. nothing happens "behind the scenes".
OS

Attachments

• cookie.gif
    cookie.gif
    19.7 KB · Views: 248
  • requests.gif
    requests.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 244
Still too bare bones. No official mouse gestures yet? So 1998.

On my "retro " chrome , I have found out how to ferret an individual cookie out for inspection ( all cookies are in a unified .DB format with chrome) and compared this to an identical IE cookie after logon with DIYA. I could see no personally identifiable info , but I could see the hash change after login. that must be how just DIYA knows ME !!

PS If my chrome goes the way of the bloated, slow IE8 or FF , I will search again for a lean ,mean 200 millisecond surfin' machine. I can do without "gestures" , but this seems to be a plugin anyways.
(attachment is IE7 cookie - identical to chrome cookie content)
OS

Attachments

• cookie_internal.gif
    cookie_internal.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.