Edit Time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
edit post

Hi all,
I'd like to edit a message posted yesterday because it may lead reader to do damage his system :( The correction is 10 posts later, but we all know that people not always read full topic before taking action.

How can I edit my post or have a moderator edit it for me ?
Thanks

ps: On many forums, edit option is available with no time limit. I understand its a choice, eventhough i dont get the rationale for it. I see more negative effect than positive to it.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Is it possible to make no limit on self-editing? Is it the whole board or can it be done on a per-member basis?

I love making detailed, well-illustrated tutorials and threads, but the inability to go correct mistakes makes it much harder, as well as keeping known errors in the text. That's rather silly, no? There is a typo in my B1 thread that, although not horribly wrong, it's a resistor value, and it's not correct...

It is my intention to make a very detailed, step-by-step tutorial/log of my F5 build. In a perfect world it's all in the top post, much like these tutorials I made for a table-top wargaming/modeling site -- Librarium Online - Warhammer 40k & Warhammer Fantasy Forums and, a better example -- Librarium Online - Warhammer 40k & Warhammer Fantasy Forums

But I need to be able to edit my posts!

:)

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I appreciate that, I truly do, but the catch (for me, anyway...) in making the long posts is photos... Because I prefer to remote host it's prettymuch impossible to assemble a big post with photos and captions without using the box, and having access to the preview button - I'm just not good enough at html to do everything by eyeballing it...

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That's not a bad idea, but it still has the problem of no 'preview' function to make sure the photos are correct and with proper captions...

I also realize that in a thread like we have on this forum, there are LOTS of part numbers to be looked up and linked. That takes time. Without the ability to edit my own, how much fun is it going to be for the mods to make a bunch of changes? Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Why hasn't this been asked yet?

Why can you not edit your posts forever? Why is there a time limit?

A recent forum feature is the ability to allow the person who started a thread to have a permanent edit option. That way any important changes or info to a thread can be added at the start.

To allow any post to be edited would result in major problems. The time line of threads and their content would be in chaos. Circuits and info would constantly change and yet other folks comments relating to the original would still stand. No one would know what and why things had changed.

If there is a genuine need to have a post edited then contact a moderator using the report post button.

Edit time has been extended to 30 minutes as of September 8, 2009

Hi Cal another frenchman here i don't understand the reason for time limit at all when ever you lose your photos in photobucket you cannot correct the problem then your posts look like s _ _ t in most forums it is possible to edit your own posts anytime if that is not possible could whe have it on request just to give us time for clean up. please help us keep the forum clean. thank you

A recent forum feature is the ability to allow the person who started a thread to have a permanent edit option. That way any important changes or info to a thread can be added at the start.

To allow any post to be edited would result in major problems. The time line of threads and their content would be in chaos. Circuits and info would constantly change and yet other folks comments relating to the original would still stand. No one would know what and why things had changed.

If there is a genuine need to have a post edited then contact a moderator using the report post button.

If you look at scientific journals they allow corrections, errata etc. but it's helpful to NOT edit an original post/idea so that you can see the thought process as it wends its way to a correct conclusion.

A parenthetical: about scientific journals -- the number of papers which have to be retracted due to bad science and outright fraud has increased exponentially over the last 10 years. What should concern folks in the US is the amount of NIH money which has gone into retracted papers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.