Strange cursor behaviour. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Site > Forum Problems

Forum Problems If there is a forum related problem please leave a message here so an Admin will see it.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2003, 03:58 PM   #1
Bobken is offline Bobken  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Strange cursor behaviour.

Hi,

I have noticed when correcting text prior to any posting that, whilst working in the 'posting box', my cursor behaves erratically.

In other applications like Wordpad, when traversing the screen, my cursor moves steadily along, and that 99% of the time, I can judge the correct time to release the key for the cursor to end up in precisely the right place to make the desired correction.

However, on the Forum page, the cursor moves along quite jerkily in fits and starts, and most of the time I end up either overshooting, or stopping short of the mark.

Its no big deal, of course, but there must be a reason for this minor irritation which has been prevalent for at least three weeks now.

I didn't mention it before, as I know that several maintenance issues have caused some unexpected problems, and I didn't wish to add to the workload of the Administators who do an excellent job in my view.

However, from my POV, all these other temporary 'teething' problems have been eradicated, and thanks are due to those responsible.

Is this strange situation unique to me, or has anyone else noticed anything similar, and does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the cause?

My OS is Windows 98SE, and I am on I.E. version 6, with the 6.1 'update', and my graphics card is an ATI 'All in Wonder' 128 Pro.

Any help and/or suggestions will be most welcome.

Regards,
Old 23rd February 2003, 06:01 PM   #2
fezz is offline fezz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

this is quite strange, and the only reason i can think of this is the fact that these web pages are quite large so might require more ram then your system has.

if you have more then one page up at a time, try only on and see if the problem reduces or stops, if so it is definatly your ram and you should look at getting more
Old 23rd February 2003, 06:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fezz
this is quite strange, and the only reason i can think of this is the fact that these web pages are quite large so might require more ram then your system has.

if you have more then one page up at a time, try only on and see if the problem reduces or stops, if so it is definatly your ram and you should look at getting more
Hi Fezz,

Thanks for this thought, but I don't think it can be the Ram, somehow, as I have 512Mb installed in my system.

I generally only have the current page (or maybe one other) open at the time of posting, but I will try shutting everything else down next time, and see if it has any effect.

Regards,
Old 23rd February 2003, 09:02 PM   #4
fezz is offline fezz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i would be quite interested if this keep on happening, as i wouldn't mind a challenge

but... are you sure it is just this web page - if it isn't, chances are the mouse needs cleaning

i also doubt it is your graphics card - however try running more graphics intensive tasks - like playing a game that you know runs fine for a while. as an overheating graphics card or cpu could cause this.
Old 23rd February 2003, 09:08 PM   #5
Helix is offline Helix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

try some 'Altmann' Tube-o-lator on the keyboard UART, not too much tho.. or otherwise you will find it overly smooth and laidback

TED
Old 23rd February 2003, 09:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Try hitting IE's STOP button.

Tim
Old 23rd February 2003, 11:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Helix
try some 'Altmann' Tube-o-lator on the keyboard UART, not too much tho.. or otherwise you will find it overly smooth and laidback

TED
Hi Ted,

Thanks a lot for such a valuable and incredibly witty addition to this thread.

You must be feeling very pleased with yourself!

Regards,
Old 24th February 2003, 01:49 AM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I have Win98SE. I have a slightly different, but related problem that occurs when I am posting in the Reply box.

As you know, the quote command is written in square brackets, [ ]. Well, when I want to highlight the last word of the quote before the bracket prior to deleting, the blue highlighting won't stop at the last character. I either have to erase the bracket or leave the last character unhighlighted. The highligting will not be able to stop at the space between the last character and the bracket.

What I frequently do is place the cursor between the last character in the quote and the bracket, then hit the spacebar. When there is a space between the last character and the bracket, the cursor can highlight properly. However, I do not have to do that extra step anywhere else but in this forum's Reply box.

Not that big a deal, for sure. But as long as the subject is brought up....

Could it be something about this board's software that makes highlighting slightly imprecise? I do not have the problem to the extent that Bobken does-everything else about the cursor seems normal. But there is that one glitch that might possibly be a lesser version of Bobken's problem.
Old 25th February 2003, 11:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for the responses which make interesting reading.

I have manged to reduce these erratic cursor effects by making some changes to the cursor 'blink rate', 'repeat rate', and 'repeat delay', but it still isn't as good as in Wordpad etc.

I am beginning to wonder if I have some kind of worm or something, as today the typeface on all of the Forum pages is only half the size it has been for the past few weeks.

I have done all the usual virus checks, but nothing comes up, and I have run 'System File Checker' to see if anything unwanted has changed behind my back, but there were no apparent/reported problems.

I might try an 'overlay' re-install of Windows to see if this helps, but, other than this, I cannot think of anything else to do.

Regards,
Old 25th February 2003, 12:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Default WIN 98.

Hi,

Quote:
and my graphics card is an ATI 'All in Wonder' 128 Pro.
Just a wild guess...could it be that somehow the drivers for the card are damaged?

Other than that it could be a damaged font as well...thing is I would know which one.
If IE is missing a font it automatically resorts to the closest compatible one.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!