Strange cursor behaviour.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have noticed when correcting text prior to any posting that, whilst working in the 'posting box', my cursor behaves erratically.:bigeyes:

In other applications like Wordpad, when traversing the screen, my cursor moves steadily along, and that 99% of the time, I can judge the correct time to release the key for the cursor to end up in precisely the right place to make the desired correction. :nod:

However, on the Forum page, the cursor moves along quite jerkily in fits and starts, and most of the time I end up either overshooting, or stopping short of the mark. :bawling:

Its no big deal, of course, but there must be a reason for this minor irritation which has been prevalent for at least three weeks now.

I didn't mention it before, as I know that several maintenance issues have caused some unexpected problems, and I didn't wish to add to the workload of the Administators who do an excellent job in my view.:cool:

However, from my POV, all these other temporary 'teething' problems have been eradicated, and thanks are due to those responsible.

Is this strange situation unique to me, or has anyone else noticed anything similar, and does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the cause?

My OS is Windows 98SE, and I am on I.E. version 6, with the 6.1 'update', and my graphics card is an ATI 'All in Wonder' 128 Pro.

Any help and/or suggestions will be most welcome.

Regards,:)

this is quite strange, and the only reason i can think of this is the fact that these web pages are quite large so might require more ram then your system has.

if you have more then one page up at a time, try only on and see if the problem reduces or stops, if so it is definatly your ram and you should look at getting more

fezz said:
this is quite strange, and the only reason i can think of this is the fact that these web pages are quite large so might require more ram then your system has.

if you have more then one page up at a time, try only on and see if the problem reduces or stops, if so it is definatly your ram and you should look at getting more

Hi Fezz,

Thanks for this thought, but I don't think it can be the Ram, somehow, as I have 512Mb installed in my system.

I generally only have the current page (or maybe one other) open at the time of posting, but I will try shutting everything else down next time, and see if it has any effect. :cool:

i would be quite interested if this keep on happening, as i wouldn't mind a challenge :)

but... are you sure it is just this web page - if it isn't, chances are the mouse needs cleaning

i also doubt it is your graphics card - however try running more graphics intensive tasks - like playing a game that you know runs fine for a while. as an overheating graphics card or cpu could cause this.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I have Win98SE. I have a slightly different, but related problem that occurs when I am posting in the Reply box.

As you know, the quote command is written in square brackets, [ ]. Well, when I want to highlight the last word of the quote before the bracket prior to deleting, the blue highlighting won't stop at the last character. I either have to erase the bracket or leave the last character unhighlighted. The highligting will not be able to stop at the space between the last character and the bracket.

What I frequently do is place the cursor between the last character in the quote and the bracket, then hit the spacebar. When there is a space between the last character and the bracket, the cursor can highlight properly. However, I do not have to do that extra step anywhere else but in this forum's Reply box.

Not that big a deal, for sure. But as long as the subject is brought up....

Could it be something about this board's software that makes highlighting slightly imprecise? I do not have the problem to the extent that Bobken does-everything else about the cursor seems normal. But there is that one glitch that might possibly be a lesser version of Bobken's problem.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses which make interesting reading.

I have manged to reduce these erratic cursor effects by making some changes to the cursor 'blink rate', 'repeat rate', and 'repeat delay', but it still isn't as good as in Wordpad etc.

I am beginning to wonder if I have some kind of worm or something, as today the typeface on all of the Forum pages is only half the size it has been for the past few weeks.

I have done all the usual virus checks, but nothing comes up, and I have run 'System File Checker' to see if anything unwanted has changed behind my back, but there were no apparent/reported problems.

I might try an 'overlay' re-install of Windows to see if this helps, but, other than this, I cannot think of anything else to do. :bawling:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
WIN 98.

Hi,

and my graphics card is an ATI 'All in Wonder' 128 Pro.

Just a wild guess...could it be that somehow the drivers for the card are damaged?

Other than that it could be a damaged font as well...thing is I would know which one.:(
If IE is missing a font it automatically resorts to the closest compatible one.

Cheers,;)

Bobken said:
Hi,

Thanks for the responses which make interesting reading.

I have manged to reduce these erratic cursor effects by making some changes to the cursor 'blink rate', 'repeat rate', and 'repeat delay', but it still isn't as good as in Wordpad etc.

I am beginning to wonder if I have some kind of worm or something, as today the typeface on all of the Forum pages is only half the size it has been for the past few weeks.

I have done all the usual virus checks, but nothing comes up, and I have run 'System File Checker' to see if anything unwanted has changed behind my back, but there were no apparent/reported problems.

I might try an 'overlay' re-install of Windows to see if this helps, but, other than this, I cannot think of anything else to do. :bawling:

Have you tried to delete all cookies and the internet history?
I think it is good to delete cookies once in a while, even though
it may cause a bit of nuisance having to retype passowrds to
sites etc. Come to think of it, it has been a long time since I
last did it myself.

ok, this is starting to sound more like a currupt internet explorer file. try running stan disk, and after that, defragment the hard disk - this picks up anything that may have been missed by skan disk and also re arranges the files on your computer so they start quicker and reduce the risk of errors.

if that dosn't work try re-installing explorer

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Similar to Christer, I had problems on another board once and cured them by cleaning out Temporary Internet Files. The difference was absolutely remarkable.

There seem to be a lot of cookies in Temporary Internet Files. I don't know if these are the same cookies that are in the Cookie folder or not. I might be telling you the same thing as Christer, I don't know.

At any rate, the Temporary Internet Files clean-out worked for me.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your continuing interest and further helpful suggestions.

I do regularly delete cookies, history, Temp Internet, and all these similar files, as I have a bit of software, Internet Cleanup, which does it automatically.

I have also defragged, used Norton SpeedDisk (like defragging, only supposedly better?) run all Norton SystemWorks progs like One Button Checkup, WinDoctor, DiskDoctor, Optimisation Wizard, etc., but no problems are being reported.

I am very familiar with my system, since I built it myself a couple of years ago, but it still escapes me as to what is causing these problems.

Using logic, which I find sometimes (not always!) helps, it seems more like some kind of interfacing problem with this Forum's software, as in every other application, or on any other sites, I have no difficulties at all!:goodbad:

Oh well, maybe the overlay installation of Windows might do something good, but I will let you know if there is any change, together what the culprit was, if I ever discover it.

If any of you has a ruler to hand, would you be kind enough to simply check the height of normal text (approximately) on these pages as it is displayed on your screen.

My screen is a 15" flat screen set at 1024 x 768 resolution, and the height of the visible part of the Forum screen showing now is 180mm. (i.e. from the lower edge of the 'Address bar' down to the upper edge of the 'Taskbar').

The full height of upper case lettering is now shown as about 3mm, on this screen, and I realise it will vary with different screens and configurations, but if I know the height of your text compared with the overall height of your Forum screen, I should get a good idea of whether mine is 'normal' or not.

I only joined this Forum at Xmas, but until this morning, I would guess that the height of the text was at least 5mm.

Thank you all very much. :nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.