Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 19th June 2008, 08:49 PM   #891
The one and only

Ah yes, I see the First Watt on the bottom of the sign.

Old 19th June 2008, 10:08 PM   #892
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwitmer
As long as I'm pinching pics from the president's blog, I may as well grab one of Clark adjusting to the difficulties of life as a Feastrex apprentice speaker builder:
Click the image to open in full size.

(The cowboy hat is no doubt part of a futile attempt to retain a sense of identity, but the rigors of making and drinking espresso day in and day out will surely destroy what's left of his psyche . . .

-- Chris
Yes, indeed... I figured I would conviniently leave out the secret feastrex construction processes from my notes. especially the stripping threads part... When its bad enough to get sent to the local extractor, hopefully some lessons you only need to learn once.

Actually, that -IS- the way I dress. Living in Walla Walla for long enough, you kinda realize that you -are- living in the wild west. Also the clothes work really well with that climate, and the cowboy hat helps keep the sun out of your eyes during those long squinty stares across the horizon, watching tumbleweed roll by.

It is pretty humid here though, I might switch it up a bit after a while.

Off to make Mr. Teramoto some more coffee...

-Clark
Old 19th June 2008, 10:26 PM   #893
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blumenco

Yes, indeed... I figured I would conviniently leave out the secret feastrex construction processes from my notes. especially the stripping threads part... When its bad enough to get sent to the local extractor, hopefully some lessons you only need to learn once.

Actually, that -IS- the way I dress. Living in Walla Walla for long enough, you kinda realize that you -are- living in the wild west. Also the clothes work really well with that climate, and the cowboy hat helps keep the sun out of your eyes during those long squinty stares across the horizon, watching tumbleweed roll by.

It is pretty humid here though, I might switch it up a bit after a while.

Off to make Mr. Teramoto some more coffee...

-Clark
Hey, the "local thread extractor" is a genius. That guy can do anything in metal. (His company's name is "Meister" but that's also his personal nickname because, well, that's what he is.) I bet that box comes back with the threads repaired and you wondering "Now how on earth did he do *that*?" It's good to have friends like that. He volunteered to save my backside when I had to fix the cast iron plate in my piano, and I don't even have a business relationship with him!

Here's how you need to dress for the Japanese summer:

A hand-held fan and straw hat are permissible as well. And these make a fine accessory:

You won't mind the heat a bit . . .

-- Chris
Old 24th June 2008, 12:51 AM   #894
diyAudio Member

Interesting news:
http://www.thehindu.com/2008/06/24/s...2450450200.htm

It is not uncommon for things to get a bit confused in transmission . . . I highly doubt that the drivers themselves will be assembled locally in India, although provision of parts might be conceivable. Enclosures, power supplies, amplifiers, etc. are definitely doable.

-- Chris
Old 25th June 2008, 05:19 PM   #895
diyAudio Member

Chris,

Can you please ask Teramoto-san what he thought of the Indian cabinets for the D9e-III and the D5e? Intersted to know if those cabinets are better than Teramoto's recommended cabinets.

Regards
Old 26th June 2008, 09:23 PM   #896
diyAudio Member

Mr. Teramoto told me that he was extremely impressed with Audire's ability to produce loudspeaker enclosures. He said that when it comes to actually developing and building loudspeaker enclosures, the folks at Audire are in a different league from the folks at Feastrex. (After all, the designing and building of fullrange drivers and the designing and building of fullrange driver enclosures are two very different sets of skills.)

However, he added that the enclosures shown in the photograph housing the bronze frame D9e-III drivers were not based on any precise advance knowledge of the drivers' characteristics, but rather were built completely by guesswork. They did this 1) in order to have something into which to put the drivers immediately upon delivery, and 2) in order to experiment with a few ideas they had come up with. The fact that Audire made those enclosures look so nice can perhaps give the impression that they were very carefully and precisely matched to the drivers, but that is not the case.

Mr. Teramoto said that before long he expects to see a different set of enclosures designed specifically to match the drivers.

-- Chris
Old 26th June 2008, 09:40 PM   #897
diyAudio Member

No offense intended here at all (I stress this because some might put that interpretation on it, and I'm too tired tonight to figure out a way to avoid such things other than repeating that is not the intent), but would Mr Teramoto actually be happy with a box that's designed & optimised specifically to match these or any of the Feastrex drivers?
Old 26th June 2008, 09:47 PM   #898
diyAudio Member

I should think so, yes.

-- Chris
Old 26th June 2008, 10:04 PM   #899
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

That would be cool if you did an enclosure that Mr.T could check out (Not the North American Mr.T btw ).

Scott guess what is assembling in our harbour? Now would be a good time to come check out Victoria... http://tallshipsvictoria.ca/content/view/25/50/

Dave
Old 26th June 2008, 10:15 PM   #900
diyAudio Member

Didn't Scottmoose already do at least two designs for the D5nf? Freddy Chang and Maiko (w/Planet10)? Someone in Japan should build 'em!

Hide this!Advertise here!