• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nicoch46 said:
beringer is pro hardware not hiend psu -dac-clock-output stage are ......

Yes, but play an mp3 through my Weiss Medea DAC (~ EUR 12000) and it sounds like an mp3.... the output stage is only as good as the signal it is given....

For sure, the pro hardware PSU will add jitter and therefore degrade the signal further but the problem lies with the DSP and loss of resolution prior to the DAC / analogue stages

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bvan said:
Would you also consider DEQX for mid-fi applications only?

It is limited, i understand to 24/96. It really needs to have 4x the sampling rate before there will be little or no dispute that it gets as good as analog (and inw hopes internal processing is at least 80 bits),

Now if one's source is CD, as long as the internal processing is on the order of 80 bits (or they take incredible care to avoid round off errors) then it is a no care. But some would argue that 16/44 can only ever be mid-fi.

dave

nicoch46 said:
beringer is pro hardware not hiend psu -dac-clock-output stage are ......

As I said, would be used in the digital domain, so dacs and passive components not an issue, basically only the DSP. So on the face of it, for this application, I think DEQ2496 deserves the recognition that TACT, DEQX et al are afforded, and not dismissed as 'pro audio'.

By my understanding, when redbook is upsampled to 24bit, you can then attenuate the signal to some degree before suffering any loss of resolution. Agree that eq needs to be done judiciously, would never consider anything as drastic as a 12db boost. But then if the Feastrex drivers needed a 12db boost, they themselves could not be cosidered 'hi fi' in the first place.

cheers
B

bvan said:

As I said, would be used in the digital domain, so dacs and passive components not an issue, basically only the DSP. So on the face of it, for this application, I think DEQ2496 deserves the recognition that TACT, DEQX et al are afforded, and not dismissed as 'pro audio'.

... But then if the Feastrex drivers needed a 12db boost, they themselves could not be cosidered 'hi fi' in the first place.

cheers
B

I'm not sure that those components are afforded such high praise. I have seen in numerous reviews comments about the music seeming sterile and uninvolving.. Granted, the theory is wonderful but in practice I'd hang on to every digital bit possible - the earth is flat after all....

The DEQX2496 in my opinion should be used as a development tool only - identify potential problems and then design them out.

The DEQX power supplies are well documented as being inferior to the other units mentioned - poor power suply regulation / clocks / implementations lead to jitter - our arch enemy in the digital world.

The only thing I can suggest is try one - if you're happy with it in your system then who's to say it's wrong? I borrowed one for a week and sent it back - it simply wasn't for me.

As for the Feastrex, simply don't use it across the part of the spectrum where the boost is needed... hi-fi, however, it most certainly is....

I have D9nf's attached to a spare pine shelf OB style whilst I'm waiting for some cabinet inspirations - As an extended midrange driver they do some special things even in such humble surroundings....

I can be wrong my friends
but here we spoke about Urushi lacquer , the cone paper, field coils,bronze , the nuance of feastrex !

Is a non sense digital manipulation and so on...

For me FR live in analog , put in a good TT and enjoy
forward in the past :D

the audio industry sell fast food audio ,the essence of diyaudio is to buld real stuff ,example amp must is class A ie min 10kg

Well, I'd love to "go back to the future" but most of my music is only available in digital format :bawling: . . .

Such as the recently discovered books of music by Bach's contemporary, the great baroque lutenist and lute composer Sylvius Leopold Weiss . . .

Or Masaaki Suzuki's complete recordings of Bach's vocal works on the BIS label . . .

No, sadly, almost all of my music is digital.

However, I do have a certain fondness for Roy Orbison in vinyl

Here is a little excerpt

Unfortunately the original website has disappeared because of a dispute with the hosting company, but the self-published novel is developing a bit of a cult following.

There is a review of the book here

When he is not wrapping Roy Orbison in plastic film, here's another example of his humor

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread . . . "

-- Chris

OB and the Feastrex

9Dnf and the Tone Tubby

Attachments

• dsc_0009.jpg
    dsc_0009.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,007
Congratulations Phil, beautifully finished.

May I ask... have you equilised the response of the D9nf? I remember Nelson Pass suggested a notch filter around 4Khz if my memory serves me correctly

How do you find the top end performance? Will you be looking to suppliment above 10Khz - again, Nelsons responds graphs suggested quite an early roll off

Many thanks

Shamless Knockoff from Jon...

The boys at RMAF (Nelson and Jon) built an OB with Lowthers and the Tone Tubby... To my poor ears it sounded great. So what was good for a Lowther might be good for a Feastrex..
Sooo....

Well, it plays music
And it does so quite well.
Only have an hour or so on them...
Seems the tone tubby will be happier with some time.
So far so good!

Plenty of vol. with my 45 amp.

Now... Off to build the same OB with the Lowther and Tone Tubby... It's gonna be a shootout folks, East vs West...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.