Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 7th March 2008, 01:52 AM   #521
diyAudio Member

Brian, can you pls give a brief comparison on how the Feastrex compare with your old Fertin in OB?
Thanks
Old 7th March 2008, 04:44 AM   #522
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Default D5nf compared to Fertin

That is a long time ago!
Also the Fertin I had is not the current version.
The only thing I can be sure about is the treble of the Feastrex is better. It has more energy, more like a compression horn driver.

The rest would be difficult to identify as being from the driver or the enclosure as I haven't heard the Feastrex in an open baffle and never played the Fertin in a box. Bass is stronger in the Feastrex, but it's in a tuned box, so not fair. The Fertin was very open, very detailed and threw a big soundstage but it was on the long wall of our old office.

They are both very good.

Sorry that's the best I can do.

Brian
Old 7th March 2008, 10:36 AM   #523
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I too have continued to be impressed with the D5nf drivers in the BVR enclosure. However, I'd still like to get some meaningful specifications for the Feastrex enclosure that is referenced... I've yet to see anything that would allow one to build a usable replica with any confidence (unless I've missed it somewhere). Is there a CAD drawing I could get? Brian, any details and/or pics of the 13L enclosures you did?

I'd also like to get more info on the updates to Freddie.... maybe a taller Freddie? I will be trying some other enclosures out over time, but I'm itching to do a more powerful SET amplifier first..... the D5nf never seems to break a sweat with 2-watts. Yes, the can get plenty loud but 2-watts has it's limits and additional headroom certainly can't hurt, especially with material like Sheffield's Drum Record, which is very impressive... much more so than the combined track/drum record CD version. Time to buy a pair of WE-300B I guess and get started.

In any case, make no mistake... these drivers are truly special... I'm still a very happy camper but I want more detail... so it's time to start designing a new phono preamp too..... if I only had more time... and at home (currently in Singapore) so I've got a bit of withdrawl from audio.

Regards, KM
Old 7th March 2008, 11:09 AM   #524
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Quote:
Brian, any details and/or pics of the 13L enclosures you did?
Here's a pic.

I'll get the internal dimensions when I return to the shop on Monday.

Actually in Singapore there is quite an active Feastrex community. I'm sure they would be happy to share their cabinet experiences with you. You could contact them through the Singapore Feastrex dealer - William. He posts here sometimes.

I'm also interested to find out what the big boxes have to offer.
Yes extra power won't hurt. Make sure to get 16ohms taps. I find the 300B to be very good together with the D5nf.

regards
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feastrex2.jpg (48.4 KB, 531 views)
Old 7th March 2008, 11:39 AM   #525
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Brian, thanks for the very fast reply... the dimensions seem to show a pretty shallow depth, is there a particular reason?

I'd be interested to hear your findings on a 20-ohm output tranny.... who are you using to make them? What output tube(s) are you using with them?

I'm very impressed with the Hashimoto transformer line and have a fairly large collection of power, choke and SET outputs which include their 7-watt, 20-watt and 30-watt single-ended outputs. I also have MQ iron and am currently having Mike build me a custom set of RH-40s with endbells, flying leads sans UL taps.

The 45 amp I'm running now uses the little H-507S (5/7K with 4-8-,16-ohm output and 7-watt rating). To date, these are probably the best shielded trannies/chokes I've used. Their power units are dead quiet, absolutely noiseless.

Thanks for the tip on the SGP community... maybe I'll have a chance to visit the dealer over the weekend. Thanks!

Regards, KM
Old 7th March 2008, 11:55 AM   #526
diyAudio Member

Oh yes, there are some real certifiable maniacs in Singapore. A Feastrex fan can have some good times there.

Just be sure to specify an extra-large dose of "poison" . . . they'll have to carry you out of there on a stretcher.

-- Chris
Old 7th March 2008, 02:21 PM   #527
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwitmer
Oh yes, there are some real certifiable maniacs in Singapore. A Feastrex fan can have some good times there.

Just be sure to specify an extra-large dose of "poison" . . . they'll have to carry you out of there on a stretcher.

-- Chris
Yes, I'm one of those maniacs.... for those of you passing thru sunny Singapore .. drop me an email if you want to hear the Feastrex spks... me and my fellow maniacs will be more than happy to "poison" you...

Back to the D5nf, drivers... IMO the simple bass reflex box works very well for Feastrex drivers... my observations are based on the D5nf and the D9e. So for the D5nf , do try the latest floor standing version from Mr Teramoto.. Joe actually has put the drawings on his website, I'll just copy the link below..

http://www.lotusgroupusa.com/Cabi%20D5_5e.pdf
Old 7th March 2008, 07:39 PM   #528
diyAudio Member

It is my understanding that in the strict technical sense the 50 liter Feastrex enclosure is not of the bass reflex type so much as of the ML-TL type. Scottmoose and others described the differences for me previously in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...78#post1378878

I don't know how accurate are their various simulations of those Feastrex enclosures, but anyway it might be worth going back and reviewing a few of the posts before and after the one linked above.

The funky 50-liter enclosure that Joe Cohen was so positive about a few days ago (it's just a minor variant of the "official" Feastrex 50-liter enclosure in the PDF on Joe's site) is proving to be quite popular here in Japan -- the low cost and ease of construction coupled with the fine sound make it a good choice where looks are not a primary concern (i.e., due to the visible screw heads, etc.

Also, FWIW, Mr. Teramoto did tell me the other day that he thought it might be a good idea to experiment with lower placement of the port in that enclosure . . .

-- Chris
Old 7th March 2008, 08:46 PM   #529
diyAudio Member

They're accurate insofar as that is the technical performance of the resulting system.
Old 9th March 2008, 04:22 AM   #530
diyAudio Member

"Help!" . . . I need to come up with a DIYable enclosure that would allow the use of the Feastrex D5e 5-inch field coil driver under the following installation constraints:

1) Although the D5e has frequency response characteristics that are basically like those of the D5nf, the D5e is far more highly damped. (D5e Qts is probably below 0.3, versus around 0.6 for the D5nf.)

2) There are a pair of high quality powered subwoofers (Rythmik 12-inch servo subs, sealed enclosures) to handle the lowest of the bass. They will be placed in close proximity to the main speakers. The crossover frequency can be set anywhere from 40Hz to 160Hz. That doesn't mean these subs MUST be used, but they are available . . .

3) The height of the enclosures is fixed at 795mm. The maximum width of the enclosures is 295mm and the maximum depth is 420mm. They can of course be narrower or shallower than that; however, the height cannot be easily changed.

4) The above are external dimensions; the wood on hand is mostly 24mm thick and I calculate that if a simple sealed enclosure was built to the maximum available dimensions, after bracing with the available bracing materials, the internal volume of the cabinet (BEFORE deducting for the driver itself) would be about 60 liters.

5) The internal volume of the current "standard" Feastrex enclosure for the 5-inch drivers is 50 liters; however, I suspect that given the taller and skinnier dimensions of the Feastrex enclosure, the sound has as much to do with the dimensions as it does with the volume, and it might be hard to predict what would happen if something like that was tried within the dimensional constraints faced here . . .

6) There is no insistence on any particular enclosure type. Whatever can sound best in the above setting is what is desired.

Thoughts? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

-- Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!