Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 3rd March 2008, 02:47 AM   #511
The one and only

Default Re: consistency

Quote:
Originally posted by bcherry
Maybe we can't consciously hear many kinds of distortions, but when they are absent the body knows and relaxes. I also noticed this effect when after long term listening to digital sources and then changing to a good quality analog source the ears relax and there is just less tension.
This is a pretty consistent experience and I think it's an
accurate indicator. We know that your brain is very busy filling
in gaps and making a coherent picture out of every audio
performance, and perhaps this relaxation is simply the brain
not having to work so hard.

Old 3rd March 2008, 04:48 AM   #512
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: consistency

Quote:

Maybe we can't consciously hear many kinds of distortions, but when they are absent the body knows and relaxes.

Much the description of what happens when you listen to an EnABLed driver...

dave
Old 3rd March 2008, 05:17 AM   #513
diyAudio Member

I want to know what an EnABled $10,000 Feastrex DN5e type III sounds like.

Then I can go back to my Philips mono cassette player/clock radio and dry out for a couple of years.
Old 3rd March 2008, 01:17 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

Default Thunder from down under . . .

It seems that the Wizards of Oz are up to their (new) old tricks again . . .

http://www.stereo.net.au/forum/index...opic=5925&st=0

. . . gotta stay tuned . . .
Old 5th March 2008, 08:56 AM   #515
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Just a couple of points to add to this section of the blog on Feastrex projects before I take a pause.

I prefer energetic treble so all the speakers here are either compression horn tweeter, Jordan 2" or ribbon.
I didn't have high expections for a whizzer but the Feastrex whizzer gives away nothing. It is smooth, energetic and very extended. It is among the best treble I've heard.

It must have something to do with the paper. I have some samples of the Feastrex paper here. It is not pulp based. Whereas you can easily poke a hole in pulp paper or tear it, this long fibre mulberry paper is VERY strong. Try to tear it and it is like tearing cloth. I can't imagine that you could poke a hole in these cones. I think pulp paper compared to washi paper is like mdf compared to real wood. Resonance, breakup and strength characteristics are totally different. I don't think any of those parameters are covered by TSP, are they? AFAIK they are more concerned with air piston behaviour.
I can imagine what a guitar made of mdf would sound like. I'm getting amazing full-bodied sounds on a cello recording (Yo Yo Ma Appalachian something).

My little box: a 13L ported box isn't very creative, i know, but as mentioned I wanted to see if this driver will work as someone might want to use these drivers but not have space for big boxes. Well they work very well. Maybe with a smaller box we hear less box and more driver. Yesterday a Feastex user came by and observed that the small boxes don't sound deficient at all compared to the usual size box this driver is used with.

Anyone in Hong Kong is welcome to come by my workshop and have a listen.

OK I've ordered some 22ohm output transformers just to test whether there might be any more benefit to be gained. I should have them in 10 days and will install and take some more measurements..

Regards
brian
Old 5th March 2008, 11:41 AM   #516
Secips is offline Secips  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: consistency

Quote:

This is my subjective impression as well. Maybe we can't consciously hear many kinds of distortions, but when they are absent the body knows and relaxes. I also noticed this effect when after long term listening to digital sources and then changing to a good quality analog source the ears relax and there is just less tension.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass

This is a pretty consistent experience and I think it's an
accurate indicator. We know that your brain is very busy filling
in gaps and making a coherent picture out of every audio
performance, and perhaps this relaxation is simply the brain
not having to work so hard.

Pretty much the same experience here. The time, phase and point source info with FR does the trick, You don't get the music in pieces which tends to make you focus on/listen to details. Digesting the "whole" takes effort like a musician who is so focused on technique (usually "young-uns") or should I say technician. However, there are those who are able to blend everything into a "whole" captivates you from the first note to the last, leaving you with a performance you won't soon forget.

I guess, I'll have to find out how deep this rabbit hole goes. Besides, I like the company, you guys talk in terms I could understand. I wish I had as much "faith" as you guys, but I'm just a beginner unsure of what is "right" from "wrong." I'm getting stronger everyday, hopefully for the wiser.
Old 5th March 2008, 11:42 AM   #517
diyAudio Member

Default Paper used in the drivers

Just in case people were not aware, the whizzer cones and the main cones are made from two different papers. Both are handmade Japanese papers of the highest quality, but the main cone is made from the sub-bark of a member of the mulberry family (the Japanese term for it is variously transliterated as kouzo/kohzo/kozo) and the whizzer cone is made from Diplomorpha sikokiana ("ganpi" in Japanese).

I know the main cone paper is not an "off the shelf" paper (even for its maker Mr. Iwano), and I'm not sure but I think the whizzer cone paper is also order made to Feastrex's specs.

And then a huge factor in the sound of the drivers is the choice of varnishes used on them, and the way they are applied. This is an immense "dark art" in itself and several lifetimes could easily be spent researching this one area alone. Mr. Teramoto has no pretensions of being an authority on varnishes and finishing materials but he does devote a LOT of time and effort to research in this area. Really small changes in what you do and the way you do it can end up having a huge effect on the sound.

The higher temperatures of the field coil drivers tends to make their glues cure to full hardness relatively quickly, but Mr. Teramoto thinks that with the permanent magnet drivers, the treble is the part that improves the most as the glue cures to full hardness, so it will be interesting to hear from you whether you (Brian Cherry) continue to hear an improvement in the treble over time.

-- Chris
Old 5th March 2008, 12:05 PM   #518
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Thanks Chris for describing the difference between the cone and whizzer paper and the treatments.
Actually the word 'paper' doesn't seem to tell the right story. Maybe we need another word for this 'stuff'. Teramoto was describing how it is crumpled up and used to wipe a sword blade. I also scrunched and kneaded a ball of it and notice it becomes soft like linen.

I look forward to more improvements in the sound.

BTW, I think your TSP are reasonably accurate. But they don't really convey the important things here.

Regards
Brian
Old 5th March 2008, 05:03 PM   #519
The one and only

Default Re: Re: Re: consistency

Quote:
Originally posted by Secips
I wish I had as much "faith" as you guys, but I'm just a beginner unsure of what is "right" from "wrong.
This is DIY. Faith is for consumers who believe what they're
told by governments and other salesmen.
Old 7th March 2008, 01:31 AM   #520
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Just a note for anyone thinking about building Freddy. Scott & i are working on Freddie Mk II. We are incorporating some of the feedback from the work being done on Maiko (which includes some of Mr Teramoto's feedback from the Freddies he built)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!