Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 2nd February 2006, 12:48 AM   #31
Jrook is offline Jrook  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Feastrex drivers

CdWitmer,

After looking over the feastrex web site I was puzzeled by what appears to be an omission of one of the drivers that is featured in the model D6. The larger speaker cabinet on the products page clearly displayes the larger speaker driver with a gold dust cap but, there is no listing of a driver with a gold dust cap on the products page. The smaller speaker cabinets I assume are the model D5 and appear to have the 5NF driver employed. Does the feastrex Co. sell the larger driver seperately? Can you tell me what the larger driver model is and also could you provide pricing information on the range of feastrex products?

Best,
JC
Old 2nd February 2006, 02:15 AM   #32
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjb
To add to my previous post, compare Jordan and Bandor. Both give excellent technical information, are similar products and are similar prices. One had (has?) a USA distributor, the other doesn't.
I have heard both, (and own neither). IMO the Bandor drivers sound better.

I have had quite good support from Jordan even though it was quite expensive to do so because of shipping, but never got a reply from Bandor when I inquired about their drivers.
Old 27th January 2007, 04:26 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Update on Feastrex D5nf fullrange

I should point out that Dick Olsher has recently used the Feastrex D5nf in an open baffle, along with Hawthorne Silver Iris Augie helper woofers, and apparently he is exceedingly pleased with the results.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...er_project.htm

Here are some pics that may be of interest:

Click the image to open in full size.

In case anyone is wondering about the rationale for gold plating a part of the driver that is normally not visible to the eye, the reason (I am told) has everything to do with the sound. I have not confirmed this myself but the principals of Feastrex believe the gold finish version sounds even better than the standard model with its black unichrome finish. Anyway, my understanding is that the only difference between the black unichrome version and the gold version is the plating. Iron can't be plated directly with gold, so they first apply copper, then nickel, and finally gold.

Okay, now to the last photo, the one with "rejects" in the name. The two motors in front are rejects because the second layer of plating (nickel) got messed up by the plating subcontractor. This was the first time to use this plating subcontractor and this was a learning experience for them. The problem is easy to prevent and is not likely to recur in the future. They decided to go ahead with the final gold plating layer on them anyway because the parts are too preciou$ to just throw away. Those will become my units, and I will have no reason to complain because I sit in front of my speakers (facing the business end, not fondling their backsides) when they're playing anyway . . . and I have determined that I shall not cringe at any "sonic distortion" resulting from a few microns' variation in the thickness of one of the layers of electroplate. After having listened to the D5nf at shows so many times, I'm excited about the prospect of finally getting my hands on a pair . . . any pair. (Where's the smilie for SHEER LUST?)
Old 27th January 2007, 11:43 PM   #34
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

hi,

do you have a ball park figure on how much a pair would cost?
Old 27th January 2007, 11:47 PM   #35
diyAudio Moderator

If you have to ask, you can't afford them.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th January 2007, 12:04 AM   #36
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

oooppss, sorry, missed the front page, at 110 yen to the dollar amounts to over $1200 a piece! wowww....
Old 28th January 2007, 12:18 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill F.

In decending order of effectiveness: ATC's SLMM, 18Sound's AIC, and JBL's Differential Drive.
It figures that manufacturers just won't throw insane amounts of neo into the motor to keep the metal in the vicinity of the gap saturated all the time.
Old 28th January 2007, 09:52 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I'd sure like to hear a side by side blind comparison of these against say Lowther PM2A's at just a bit over half the cost of the Feastrex per pair. Since you're not going to walk into your local hi-fi shop and find either you're left with anecdotal reviews or the expense of purchasing both and comparing them yourself.

The Feastrex are really pretty though.
Old 29th January 2007, 06:33 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Default Why We Should Read Every Post On This Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwitmer

2) What Dr. Klippel found to be even more unusual than the linearity of the suspension was the fact that distortion of the flux at the voice coil gap was for all practical purposes non-existent even at the highest input level tested. [The driver is rated for 15W continuous but we stopped at 10W just to be safe, since the driver was being operated in free air.] He said it measured 0.25% but that one might just as well call it zero. And he added that this level of stability is totally unheard of. [Although it should also be remembered that alnico is generally more resistant to flux modulation than more commonly used permanent magnetic materials such as ferrite.] Now the folks at Feastrex and I can think of nothing to which this might be attributable except the new spherical yoke -- the Naturflux magnetic circuit. And, those measurement results are concomitant with the theory that gave rise to this innovation in the first place, and also with the fact that the driver just plain sounds better. Naturally the people from Feastrex were very happy at this apparent confirmation of the efficacy of their innovation.

Now, I don't want the above to be construed as painting an overly idealistic picture of the Naturflux driver. As I said, most of the analysis went right over my head, and I don't have any comparable analyses of other drivers with which I can make comparisons. One thing that did become clear to me is that there are a good dozen or more distinct types of distortion that can (and do) occur in audio transducers, and these various forms of distortion are not all of equal importance in all situations. So simply because a few types of distortion were measured to be close to zero, it does not follow that the driver is by any means to be regarded as "distortion free." On the other hand, since flux modulation is a leading cause of distortion in any dynamic loudspeaker, the Naturflux magnetic circuit would seem to be a genuine advance and not just more marketing "sizzle."

44 days later...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...012#post852012

p.s.

my very first post, was in the wrong place, at the wrong forum.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `

look at the price of these...

http://www.vintage-music-equipment.d...onitor-speaker
Old 26th February 2007, 02:06 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default 12cm fullrange driver duels 110dB/W/1m 3-way WE field coil loudspeaker

Normally I would have posted this to a fullrange driver forum, but due to an earlier query I received there, I posted this to the high-efficiency loudspeaker forum instead:

Find out what happens when a 12cm fullrange driver duels 110dB/W/1m 3-way WE field coil loudspeaker
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hu...es/120102.html

Hide this!Advertise here!