Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 30th December 2007, 01:18 AM   #371
BTW is online now BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan

Very,very sexy, nice work!! ...

Thanks, I'm still trying to get hold of my friend to take nicer shots of the spks..
Old 30th December 2007, 01:28 AM   #372
BTW is online now BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by figby

Chris/BTW:

I'm a late arrival. Can you help me with any information (links, internal dimensions?) on the simpler Feastrex BR boxes you've alluded to and, in BTW's case, derived a design from? It might help me to see things from the beginning.

Hi Figby,

I have the drawing but due to my poor computer skills I can't seem to upload it... Drop me an email I'll send the file to you.

The external dimensions of the box are roughly W 310mm x D 250mm x H 880mm and 18mm plywood is recommended, do note that my box is actually taller as it has a false bottom as I did not want to fabricate additional spk stands. The box's volume works out to a 47L box. Tuning Weights were provided for the PB9 bass radiators but I basically followed Mr Teramoto's recommendation of using 1 large and 1 small weight per PR ... it work very well, so I left it at that.
Old 30th December 2007, 04:13 AM   #373
diyAudio Member

I spent yesterday and today getting familiar with woofer tester 2's idiosyncracies. I have run a few trial runs today and starting to get some consistency in the results. I hope to have best data possible (from WT2) posted by the end of the weekend. First glance shows that Chris' original specs are not too far off.
Rich
Old 30th December 2007, 07:32 AM   #374
figby is offline figby  United States
diyAudio Member

BTW:

William,
>I have the drawing but due to my poor computer skills I can't seem to upload it... Drop me an email I'll send the file to you.<

Thanks, I'd like to take you up on your offer. Unfortunately, as a diyA newbie, I don't yet have PM privileges. But you can email me at:

mark(DOT)heitman(AT)verizon(DOT)net

Your cabinets look great, even with the less-than-optimal lighting. Good call to build in a weighted base and raise the drivers. I've been quite interested to read your comments as you get to know your new speakers.

Your comment about the PR tuning weights sailed right over my head. Can you offer a brief explanation in your email?

Chris:

Given the cost involved in doubling up on an already expensive pair of PRs, it's a relief to hear their updated recommendation to forego entirely.

Have you logged any more time with either/both the D9nf and the D5nf/PB9 combo? Any further impressions?

BTW, thanks for your continued efforts on this forum to keep us informed. The confirmation measurements on the two *nf* drivers will be greatly appreciated.
Old 30th December 2007, 11:07 AM   #375
BTW is online now BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by figby
BTW:

William,

Thanks, I'd like to take you up on your offer. Unfortunately, as a diyA newbie, I don't yet have PM privileges. But you can email me at:

Your cabinets look great, even with the less-than-optimal lighting. Good call to build in a weighted base and raise the drivers. I've been quite interested to read your comments as you get to know your new speakers.

Your comment about the PR tuning weights sailed right over my head. Can you offer a brief explanation in your email?

Just sent you the drawings with more info on the PB9s... Let me know if you didn't get it..
Old 30th December 2007, 11:29 AM   #376
diyAudio Member

I divested my stereo system a few months ago to finance the repair of one of our pianos that suddenly developed a crack in the cast iron frame (or plate or harp or whatever you call it). Converting the stereo into cash was a necessary step for me since my kids are all studying music seriously and we needed to get the piano repaired despite the considerable expense involved. Currently I listen to music on a boombox.

I'm now saving up for a pair of Feastrex 5-inch field coil drivers which I expect to be able to acquire before spring . . .

-- Chris
Old 30th December 2007, 05:06 PM   #377
kmaier is online now kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richidoo
I spent yesterday and today getting familiar with woofer tester 2's idiosyncracies. I have run a few trial runs today and starting to get some consistency in the results. I hope to have best data possible (from WT2) posted by the end of the weekend. First glance shows that Chris' original specs are not too far off.
Rich
Hi Rich,

I also picked up a WT2 a while back and have swapped a fair number of emails with Keith Larson regarding it's use. I've done numerous measurements on the D5nf drivers but have not added any weight to the cone to do further testing of Vas, etc. I've decided the best possible method is to use a sealed box for the second round of measurements. Keith suggested around 5 liters would be good based on (his) limited information on the D5nf.

I'd be interested to hear your results.... especially if you're adding weight to the cone for testing.

Regards, KM
Old 30th December 2007, 06:49 PM   #378
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Hmm, well, he knows his test gear, but it sure doesn't jive with the standard Vas sealed box measurement where you must raise Fs at least 50 %, which isn't going to happen if the original Vas measurement is even in the 'ballpark'.

Anyway, based on folk's comments about this driver's detail/clarity/BW, adding weight to measure it doesn't seem like any better a plan than adding it to an ultralight HF compression driver's Al or Be diaphragm. Indeed, I have to wonder about even subjecting it to a small enough sealed box..........

GM
Old 30th December 2007, 07:21 PM   #379
diyAudio Member

It could turn into a $4,000 waste, that's for certain. Which would be a pity.
Old 30th December 2007, 10:38 PM   #380
diyAudio Member

OK, here is the data. I tested them as carefully as possible. The tester has a personality, but we eventually got along. I have pretty good confidence in these numbers up to the limit of the tester's accuracy. I did many practice runs and the results remained consistent no matter what I did to screw them up. I was pleased to see that they mostly jibe with Chris' previous tests. Slight differences between my two drivers can be seen, and could explain the larger differences to Chris' test drivers, different batch, evolved design, etc.

Vas test was done with a penny. Turning down the juice kept it from rattling. The software told me I was within 10% of the ideal weight. Finding optimum mass and drive took a while. Perhaps the results would be more accurate if driver was driven to higher level with adhesive mass, but this will have to be good enough. If you want the air sprung test, I will build a box of MDF for it. Please advise how to estimate the interior volume with the driver installed. And no, I will not fill it up with sand or rice. hahaha I can just do my best guess, try to remember some geometry.

Attached is jpg of spreadsheet. Have fun!
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: gif d5nfspecs.gif (26.5 KB, 612 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!