Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 5th February 2010, 11:12 PM   #1841
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastrex View Post
the external dimensions are: 12" W x 16" D x 35.5" H

Thanks, that's a good sized cabinet.. I'm sure the bass must be very good.. I too find that Feastrex drivers prefer bigger cabinets... then the bass will fill out nicely.
Old 7th February 2010, 08:16 AM   #1842
diyAudio Member

Is it an Onken cabinet?
Old 7th February 2010, 06:42 PM   #1843
diyAudio Member

Default Granada at CES

Click the image to open in full size.

Hi All,

The Granada Loudspeaker received a brilliant reception at CES this year!:

"...the sound was the best I have ever heard in a demo room. Detail extraction, soundstaging, 3D imaging, naturalness, and conveyance of emotion - no matter what audiophile attribute I listened for it was absolutely superb. No matter what type of music I played - complex orchestral, heavy metal, bombastic soundtracks, violin sonatas, acoustic guitar, and female vocals - the system delivered incredible natural and realistic sound. No, it was not the same as attending a live performance, but close enough that if I could have that sound in my listening room I would be tempted to not renew my season tickets for the symphony." Roger Gordon - Positive-Feedback Online Issue 47

"As it was at CES, the Lotus Group Granada was a model of neutrality. Even though it was digitizing analog sources via its DSP crossover (which not only crosses over the woofers to the Feastrex via fourth-order slopes but also eq's each driver and provides sophisticated room correction), it still managed to reproduce Joan Baez's voice and guitar on "Gospel Ship" with exceptionally natural timbre. Oh, maybe it was subtracting a little bit of the most delicate tremolo from Joanie's soprano, but it wasn't subtracting anything else. What it was doing that so many other speakers weren't was sounding flat, uncolored, and utterly coherent. This essentially three-driver two-way speaker ...needs a review in TAS. Robert named it "Best of Show" at RMAF (and I named it a runner-up), and it was a strong contender again at CES." Jonathan Valin - AVguide January 12, 2010

"I just wanted to send a follow-up note to thank you again for the opportunity to join you, as it were, for the last bit of the show. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed the VRE-1 preamp, and I must say that I was terrifically impressed with your Granada speaker. I heard some qualities in that system ...that I am not used to hearing in almost any system, regardless of price. The system was able to transcend the whole "Hi-Fi" genre to some degree, and began to suggest actual live music! That is quite an accomplishment, and I am delighted to have been able to contribute to it." Steve McCormack - SMc

This was the first show where we took full advantage of the Granada's DSP crossover. Our engineer, Manny LaCarrubba, took careful measurements and spent quite a lot of time calibrating the speaker to the room. We were quite pleased with the result.

The preamp we had intended to use turned out to be not available so we had to borrow one at last minute. What seemed like misfortune at the outset, turned into great good fortune, as we had a chance to audition several highly rated preamplifiers and were able to identify by the third day of the show one that is clearly in a class by itself in terms of absolute realism, impact and slam, tonal balance, solidity and overall musicality - the SMc VRE-1.

Steve McCormack brought this preamp to us on Saturday evening, and by Sunday morning after a night of burn in, it brought all of our efforts into focus. A further revelation was to be had when Mr. Teramoto brought his personal prototype upgraded power supply for the field coil drivers for us to try out. The results were ineffible! How does one describe such an improvement in quality, especially when the starting point was already at the cutting edge? The foundation had already been laid by the Granada itself in combination with the VRE-1, The Hanss T-60 Turntable and PA-60 Phono Preamplifier along with their CD-20 CD player, PranaWire cabling and the illustrious Pass Labs XA 30.5 amplifiers, Oyaide plugs and receptacles, Acoustic Revive cables and accessories, Audio Replas accessories and Spike Sound Will magnetic levitation devices. Each element in the system had its role to play in establishing a ground of reference. The upgraded power supply taught us not to be complacent, but to reach for the ultimate, as it demonstrated that it is attainable. I will venture to say that those who had the opportunity to hear this were left shaking their heads and stuttering to find the words to describe what they were hearing. I know I was.
Old 9th February 2010, 08:13 PM   #1844
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is an onken cabinet made out of 13 ply baltic birch.
Old 10th February 2010, 02:11 PM   #1845
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. Are there any damping material inside the cabinet? How does the Onken compare with the manufacturer recommended bass reflex cabinet?
Old 10th February 2010, 07:09 PM   #1846
diyAudio Member

Since I only heard resonance in the cabinet once during a very heavy bass passage I haven't added dampening material to the cabinet yet. Although I plan on eventually adding a thin layer of dampening material to the inside of the back panel to elminate this problem.

The cabinet was somewhat designed around the manufacturer's recommended cabinet and scaled to 70 liters with a onken twist. I haven't heard the manufacturer's cabinet, so I cannot make a direct comparison. However, I am extremely pleased with this onken cabinet, especially considering it was my first build. I have the Feastrex 10, 12 and 15 V power supply. Bass response is clearly best at 15 V.
Old 11th February 2010, 05:06 AM   #1847
diyAudio Member

Congratulations on your success. That's very impressive for a first build. It provided a very good alternative to the bass reflex design. Can you show the internal dimensions of the cabinet? As for the resonance, adding dampening materials will surely help but I'm worried that there might be side effects which could affect the speed and resolution of the sound. How about bracing the cabinet?
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:27 AM   #1848
gregdee is offline gregdee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is a picture of the first enclosure that I built for my D5e type II drivers. I designed the internal volume of the cabinets to be 70 liters. As the volume is increased the bass deepens and the speakers really come alive. Feastrex rules!
hi Beastrex

I am reading this tread quite a long time and saving founds for set of spkrs
in the same time ;-0

post few reflections about how it sounds in your recalculated Onken bins ?
they looks very sophisticated ,nice proportions ,believe that lovely burl veneer could switch them into an art object :-)

txs

greg
Old 6th March 2010, 11:28 AM   #1849
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is a picture of the first enclosure that I built for my D5e type II drivers. I designed the internal volume of the cabinets to be 70 liters. As the volume is increased the bass deepens and the speakers really come alive. Feastrex rules!
Dear Beastrex,
I'm looking for a cabinet for my nf5ex,
Do you mind give me the plan ?
Old 6th March 2010, 01:14 PM   #1850
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW View Post
Just to feedback...I've been spending quite a bit of time lately listening and tweaking the Feastrex designed boxs.. The Feastrex drivers really like very rigid cabinets... I added 3 more horizontal braces per cabinet and additional bituman damping material on cabinet walls and the improvements are HUGE.. I may build a Maiko2 next year to see how it sounds but at this moment I'll just like to share.... Paying attention to bracing and improving the rigidity of the cabinets is the way to go to get the max out of the Feastrex drivers.
Hi BTW,

I'm owning a pair of Nf 5ex,just want to know what kind of material you used for bracing your cabinet.

Best Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!