Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 184 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 24th January 2010, 01:01 PM   #1831
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyclr View Post
Anyone tried Dick Olsher's OB using the Feastrex D5NF? The D5 with monster alnico in a bass reflex cabinet sounds really good. I'm interested to know how does it sound in open baffle and whether it integrates well with the 15" woofer.
I have compared the D5nf, NF5Ex and D5 in the same BLH ... and the Monster Alnico D5 works best in a BLH. I've not tried OB but I think the D5nf and Field Coils woul be a better bet in OB..
Old 24th January 2010, 02:24 PM   #1832
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. What type of BLH was used? Was the bass slow as compared with the bass reflex cabinet?
Old 24th January 2010, 11:01 PM   #1833
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyclr View Post
Thanks for the info. What type of BLH was used? Was the bass slow as compared with the bass reflex cabinet?
Was a custom BLH... Wrt BLH... IMHO the longer the BLH's path length.. the slower the bass... so depends on cabinet design... After trying out quite a few cabinets I feel that the D5nf and Field Coils Feastrex drivers work better in BR type cabinets.. Have fun with your OB project..

Last edited by BTW; 24th January 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 25th January 2010, 08:49 AM   #1834
diyAudio Member

You can't actually have 'slow' bass per se. If it were 'fast' it would be treble. OTOH, I know what you're driving at. The longer a BLHs path length, the greater the group-delay involved as those frequencies passing through the horn have to travel further than direct output from the driver. How audible it will be depends on the length & upper corner frequency of the horn, as we become less sensitive to delay times as frequency decreases & our hearing acuity drops away. Some are a little more sensitive to time-domain issues than others & need a lower acoustic XO for the delay to become ~inaudible. YMMV as ever of course.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 25th January 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 25th January 2010, 01:27 PM   #1835
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
You can't actually have 'slow' bass per se. If it were 'fast' it would be treble. OTOH, I know what you're driving at. The longer a BLHs path length, the greater the group-delay involved as those frequencies passing through the horn have to travel further than direct output from the driver. How audible it will be depends on the length & upper corner frequency of the horn, as we become less sensitive to delay times as frequency decreases & our hearing acuity drops away. Some are a little more sensitive to time-domain issues than others & need a lower acoustic XO for the delay to become ~inaudible. YMMV as ever of course.
Perhaps "fast or slow" bass is too vague a description.. Some of my friends like to use "ability to start and stop".. don't know if that's agreeable for you...

For me, I like to use Frankie Goes to Hollywood Relax 12" single for Vinyl. For CDs, Sheffield Drum record and this Chinese Perciussion Drum record

Click the image to open in full size.

to test the bass of the drivers and spks..
Old 25th January 2010, 06:18 PM   #1836
diyAudio Member

Group-delay (& impulse response) per the above.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:55 PM   #1837
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Group-delay (& impulse response) per the above.
OK, Thanks....
Old 1st February 2010, 11:56 PM   #1838
diyAudio Member

Default onken cabinet

Here is a picture of the first enclosure that I built for my D5e type II drivers. I designed the internal volume of the cabinets to be 70 liters. As the volume is increased the bass deepens and the speakers really come alive. Feastrex rules!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onken-feastrex.jpg (696.3 KB, 463 views)
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:11 PM   #1839
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastrex View Post
Here is a picture of the first enclosure that I built for my D5e type II drivers. I designed the internal volume of the cabinets to be 70 liters. As the volume is increased the bass deepens and the speakers really come alive. Feastrex rules!
Very nice... what's the dimensions of the cabinet like..
Old 3rd February 2010, 05:09 PM   #1840
diyAudio Member

the external dimensions are: 12" W x 16" D x 35.5" H

Hide this!Advertise here!