Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 182 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 13th November 2009, 06:22 PM   #1811
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Default what happens when you're away....

Wow, I've not been on any of the audio forums lately due to extensive travel and too much work. I've missed a lot of things... including Chris' tragic death which completely stunned me. I also lost track of this thread after it was moved, not that moving it was in any way sensible to me. It was this thread that led to my purchase of the D5nf drivers which I continue to enjoy (when home) and consider them to be "keepers".

I'm still a huge Feastrex fan and someday would like to pick up a pair of Nf5ex drivers... have also read up on the Granada... very nice Joe! There's still a lot of activity here and I hope to see it continue as Feastrex continues to expand their line and improve their products. It's still my goal to build the 30-liter (Feastrex) enclosures for the D5nf Drivers but not sure when I will have the time, as there is no end in sight for business travel, but then again... that provides funding for all of these lovely toys and experiences. Wishing everyone the best.

Regards, KM

PS - Phil, I think I too would run from those... especially with the bare wires hanging over the gas meter.
Old 28th November 2009, 03:12 AM   #1812
diyAudio Member

Hi KM! Good to see you still boppin around.

Phil, remember those Maiko1's I made of 100% Trex? They are 50 feet under in the landfill now. yuk! They had a very strong resonance down low that sounded very trashy and blurred, but I used no bracing. As a composite with something stiffer it might work out good. I used West Gflex epoxy on raw cut edges but the glue was not strong enough. Looking forward to seeing what you and Mike come up with. I have a DCX2496 with Jan Didden mods, it works really good. I think 175Hz worked good with D5nf in 20x48 size baffle,iirc. The Endler mods are interesting too but I've not heard it yet. Nuthin new here, still loving my Maiko 2s. Thanks Dave and Scott for an awesome design. I encourage any D5nf owners to build it.
Old 1st December 2009, 02:59 AM   #1813
fff0 is offline fff0  Singapore
diyAudio Member

How does Maiko 2s looks like? Can you tell us abit more about the general design of it, like vented, BLH, sealed, double ported, etc?
Thanks.
Old 1st December 2009, 03:39 AM   #1814
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fff0 View Post
How does Maiko 2s looks like? Can you tell us abit more about the general design of it, like vented, BLH, sealed, double ported, etc?
Thanks.
A 3D visualization of Maiko II at its simpliest & planest. Does not show any of the recommended bracing.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 1st December 2009, 04:26 AM   #1815
diyAudio Member

Thanks dave.

Looks interesting but not sure if the TS parameter of freastrex suits it better as compared to the 60L vented box. Have you guys done any A/B?
Old 7th December 2009, 09:05 PM   #1816
diyAudio Member

The Scottmoose designs Freddie Chang and Maiko 2 were designed specifically to the T/S specs of D5nf, and were optimized with computer simulation. The non-parallel sidewalls of Maiko 2 make a huge difference in refinement and lower distortion. The Feastrex box is not an engineered design.

I have heard 2 or 3 different versions of the Feastrex box with different drivers, 5" and 9". In all cases the speakers sounded good, sometimes excellent, but not consistently, and always colored in some way. Bass performance was always thick and distorted, extending up into the midrange by varying amount with box and driver type. The difference in performance to properly braced and stuffed Maiko2 is considerable. It sounds almost hifi accurate.
Old 7th December 2009, 09:18 PM   #1817
diyAudio Member

Greetings to everybody from Finland! I've read this forum for a while now but still have 0 posts and little to say but now I'll show myself.
I got a pair of feastrex d5nf last week and plan to use them on an open baffle with one pair of eminence alpha 15s (at least at first because I got them to testing from my friend).
I allready have a 2,2cm plywood cut 60cm x 140cm to which I'll attach the driver (maybe decouple them by using magnet holdings) and search for a proper baffle size. Because of my smallish room I'll also test some closed enclosure if time allowes.
The other thing to look for is the crossover: I have a behringer deq2496 with which to actively low pass the bass drivers and I'm thinking using a passive crossover with feastrex. Crossover should be around 250hz. Where to begin testing for different components is the biggest problem for me since I have no experiences about planning a crossover before and therefore would be glad for a helping hand.
For amplification I'll use yamamoto a-08s 45 () for feastrex and rwa 30.2 for eminence.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:56 PM   #1818
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richidoo View Post
I have heard 2 or 3 different versions of the Feastrex box with different drivers, 5" and 9". In all cases the speakers sounded good, sometimes excellent, but not consistently, and always colored in some way. Bass performance was always thick and distorted, extending up into the midrange by varying amount with box and driver type. The difference in performance to properly braced and stuffed Maiko2 is considerable. It sounds almost hifi accurate.
Just to feedback...I've been spending quite a bit of time lately listening and tweaking the Feastrex designed boxs.. The Feastrex drivers really like very rigid cabinets... I added 3 more horizontal braces per cabinet and additional bituman damping material on cabinet walls and the improvements are HUGE.. I may build a Maiko2 next year to see how it sounds but at this moment I'll just like to share.... Paying attention to bracing and improving the rigidity of the cabinets is the way to go to get the max out of the Feastrex drivers.

Last edited by BTW; 7th December 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 8th December 2009, 01:53 AM   #1819
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovaskai View Post
I got a pair of feastrex d5nf last week and plan to use them on an open baffle with one pair of eminence alpha 15s (at least at first because I got them to testing from my friend).
I allready have a 2,2cm plywood cut 60cm x 140cm to which I'll attach the driver (maybe decouple them by using magnet holdings) and search for a proper baffle size. ...............
Hmm ..........open baffle..... Lots of information on it in the net. An example will be this: Tip_59

I think Mr Nelson Pass has similar drivers as yours so... maybe he can chip in. Seems to be that its BIB, hehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovaskai View Post
The other thing to look for is the crossover: I have a behringer deq2496 with which to actively low pass the bass drivers and I'm thinking using a passive crossover with feastrex. Crossover should be around 250hz. Where to begin testing for different components is the biggest problem for me since I have no experiences about planning a crossover before and therefore would be glad for a helping hand.
For amplification I'll use yamamoto a-08s 45 () for feastrex and rwa 30.2 for eminence.
Not sure what you meant by planning crossover.

My suggestion is free the feastrex from any Xover and just cross the woofer. Run a sweep and see if the transition is smooth then adjust to your liking.

More informations on these are discussed by the experts earlier on this thread. By the way, good amps, u have there but RWA 30.2 for eminence, dont you think its a little wasteful?
Old 8th December 2009, 02:16 AM   #1820
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTW View Post
Just to feedback....... Paying attention to bracing and improving the rigidity of the cabinets is the way to go to get the max out of the Feastrex drivers.
I concur with his findings especially with D5 exciter. But careful not to overdamp till the music become souless.

I guess keeping the internal vol and the port size of Feastrex recommended design, making the box non-parrallel with bracing, rounded edges, other usual proven speaker box design, etc helps to improve the stock design considerably too. Much easier & cheaper too.

I do achieve good results from my poorly done up box similar to feastrex specs except on the bass reproduction portion. Colored or not, I dont know but I am liking it.

Hi Richidoo,

Woww... from your description, it sounds like a Maiko is a must try.....
Why will you say the bass is distorted and thick? I dont hear that in my speakers. In fact, too lean for me. Just curious, You bought your drivers since when?

Hide this!Advertise here!