Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 169 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 21st June 2009, 12:39 PM   #1681
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK

One strong proponent who posts almost exclusively to bring this thread to the top.
Hey Martin,

Since you've obviously got such a gift for reading minds, perhaps you'd care to share with us what's going through my mind right about now.

-- Chris
Old 21st June 2009, 12:49 PM   #1682
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwitmer

Hey Martin,

Since you've obviously got such a gift for reading minds, perhaps you'd care to share with us what's going through my mind right about now.

-- Chris

I have no idea, not really interested.

But I do recognize that if you stopped pumping the Feastrix thread it would have fallen off the radar years ago. When a person comes on a forum and posts almost exclusively about one product it really appears as if that person is marketing the product, I don't know why DIYaudio tolerates this behavior.
Old 21st June 2009, 01:32 PM   #1683
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK

I have no idea
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK

I do recognize that if you stopped pumping the Feastrix thread it would have fallen off the radar years ago.
Oh, so you are clairvoyant after all. Well, I guess I'll just have to take that interpretation on your authority.

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK

it really appears
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, however jaundiced it may be.

And feel free to reply again if you want to "pump the Feastrex thread" some more. But to state the obvious, nobody is forcing anybody to come to this thread and read it. Feastrex can fall off anyone's radar screen anytime they want it to.

NOTA BENE -- I replied to Gelatomonster's query. If that constitutes "pumping" to bring the thread to the top, then I'm guilty as charged.

Sheesh. Male menopause?

-- Chris
Old 21st June 2009, 02:12 PM   #1684
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwitmer
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, however jaundiced it may be.
Read dpaws post again, it is really right on the money with respect to Feastrix. That is what you should be considering if you want to continue shilling these drivers. If all you can do is respond in the manner above then it just confirms there is nothing supportive behind the hype. You can continue to hurl insults when the questions make you uncomfortable, it does not really matter, and only exposes the lack of factual information about Feastrix drivers. Why not provide some useful information to help resolve dpaws insightful observations?
Old 21st June 2009, 02:29 PM   #1685
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK
Read dpaws post again, it is really right on the money with respect to Feastrix. That is what you should be considering if you want to continue shilling these drivers. If all you can do is respond in the manner above then it just confirms there is nothing supportive behind the hype. You can continue to hurl insults when the questions make you uncomfortable, it does not really matter, and only exposes the lack of factual information about Feastrix drivers. Why not provide some useful information to help resolve dpaws insightful observations?
BTW, its Feastrex.
Old 21st June 2009, 03:02 PM   #1686
diyAudio Member

My problem with this tread is that it is absolutely inappropriate for this forum. The fast majority of the posters here are trying to get decent sound on a shoestring. You see lots of traffic about $10-20 drivers and Fostex FE series is near top end. Kilobuck drivers are so far removed from the corporate reality as to be irrelevant. Yes, I have no idea what is going through cdwitmer's mind, but the post sure smacks of a shill.

Bob
Old 21st June 2009, 03:18 PM   #1687
dpaws is offline dpaws  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines
My problem with this tread is that it is absolutely inappropriate for this forum.
Bob
I'm afraid I don't agree, the Feastrex is a "full range" driver and in the much lamented absence of commercial enclosure options one is forced to consider dusting off the chopsaw.

I have nothing but respect for all who achieve a driver/enclosure synergy that punches beyond it's weight but please don't assume that all members have a limited budget...

If a Feastrex and a silver coiled Fostex driver are the present choice for our Mr Pass then may I ask who are you to suggest his contributions are inappropriate?

DIY doesn't necessarily mean poverty, it's an oppurtunity for all to experiment and share their understand about what loudspeakers are all about - regardless of their nett disposible incomes.
Old 21st June 2009, 03:51 PM   #1688
The one and only

Jeez guys, give it a break. This is the entertainment industry.

Yes, Chris is perhaps overly enthusiastic, but he is entertaining.

With regards to the measurement / listening in enclosure design,
both have their rightful place. I've heard plenty of systems that
measured well but didn't quite cut it, and plenty that didn't measure
so well but sounded good.

Terry Cain cranked out some good sounding stuff, and as far as I
know, he didn't measure a thing and had no predictive design powers,
he just simply built lots of stuff and listened to it.

I can appreciate that because I like to build lots of stuff, although I
also measure it as part of the process.

BTW, while I like Fostex products, my favorites are Lowther and
Feastrex, currently the PM5A and D9nf respectively.

Old 21st June 2009, 04:36 PM   #1689
diyAudio Member

Default Terry Cain used to say...

...of the SE Triode, full range assemblage, "Measures like hell. Sounds like heaven."
Old 21st June 2009, 04:37 PM   #1690
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

I also would echo that DIY audio is not about "decent sound on a shoestring". Most folks out here have their own personal "price point" for any given project, as this is about maintaining a balance of all of the priorities in their life. This is just logical and smart thinking.

It's also about the hobby aspect... sure, we can all take a (reasonable) price point and buy something that makes sound, or we can take the funds allocated and invest time to design, build or just implement what someone else out here did and shared. The sky is the limit here.... just that it's not the same (limit) for everyone.

In the past 4+ decades, I've seen hundreds of pieces of DIY gear that never amounted to the sum of it's parts (IMHO) but the owner was satisfied, happy and enjoyed the experience, so who am I to tell them they're wrong? I've also seen the opposite where the end results exceeded what was invested and some really wonderful pieces of handcrafted gear have been designed and built.

As for Feastrex, or any other semi-controversial product, if there's a community that maintains interest and input from the forum to support it, then who should judge whether it belongs here or not?

I've seen enough posts about the FE126e driver to last a few lifetimes now... and I can't possibly believe that each new design is much better than the last, yet there's a large following for this driver and the endless flood of designs for it. Bottom line, it's a cheap mass produced driver that does very well at it's price point, and many like it for what it offers... I have a pair as well.

Hopefully there's enough space out here for everyone's DIY limits... if anyone doesn't like the posts... don't read them, find something else.

Regards, KM

Hide this!Advertise here!