Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 153 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 21st March 2009, 02:03 AM   #1521
dpaws is offline dpaws  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nicoch46
beringer is pro hardware not hiend psu -dac-clock-output stage are ......
Yes, but play an mp3 through my Weiss Medea DAC (~ EUR 12000) and it sounds like an mp3.... the output stage is only as good as the signal it is given....

For sure, the pro hardware PSU will add jitter and therefore degrade the signal further but the problem lies with the DSP and loss of resolution prior to the DAC / analogue stages
Old 21st March 2009, 04:44 AM   #1522
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dpaws
but play an mp3 through my Weiss Medea DAC (~ EUR 12000) and it sounds like an mp3....
Must be broken... better send it here so we can check it out.

dave
Old 21st March 2009, 04:56 AM   #1523
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bvan
Would you also consider DEQX for mid-fi applications only?
It is limited, i understand to 24/96. It really needs to have 4x the sampling rate before there will be little or no dispute that it gets as good as analog (and inw hopes internal processing is at least 80 bits),

Now if one's source is CD, as long as the internal processing is on the order of 80 bits (or they take incredible care to avoid round off errors) then it is a no care. But some would argue that 16/44 can only ever be mid-fi.

dave
Old 21st March 2009, 05:18 AM   #1524
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Must be broken... better send it here so we can check it out.

dave
I'd love to... but it would come back with EnABLed op-amps!!
Old 21st March 2009, 05:37 AM   #1525
bvan is offline bvan  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nicoch46
beringer is pro hardware not hiend psu -dac-clock-output stage are ......
As I said, would be used in the digital domain, so dacs and passive components not an issue, basically only the DSP. So on the face of it, for this application, I think DEQ2496 deserves the recognition that TACT, DEQX et al are afforded, and not dismissed as 'pro audio'.

By my understanding, when redbook is upsampled to 24bit, you can then attenuate the signal to some degree before suffering any loss of resolution. Agree that eq needs to be done judiciously, would never consider anything as drastic as a 12db boost. But then if the Feastrex drivers needed a 12db boost, they themselves could not be cosidered 'hi fi' in the first place.

cheers
B
Old 21st March 2009, 05:58 AM   #1526
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bvan

As I said, would be used in the digital domain, so dacs and passive components not an issue, basically only the DSP. So on the face of it, for this application, I think DEQ2496 deserves the recognition that TACT, DEQX et al are afforded, and not dismissed as 'pro audio'.

... But then if the Feastrex drivers needed a 12db boost, they themselves could not be cosidered 'hi fi' in the first place.

cheers
B
I'm not sure that those components are afforded such high praise. I have seen in numerous reviews comments about the music seeming sterile and uninvolving.. Granted, the theory is wonderful but in practice I'd hang on to every digital bit possible - the earth is flat after all....

The DEQX2496 in my opinion should be used as a development tool only - identify potential problems and then design them out.

The DEQX power supplies are well documented as being inferior to the other units mentioned - poor power suply regulation / clocks / implementations lead to jitter - our arch enemy in the digital world.

The only thing I can suggest is try one - if you're happy with it in your system then who's to say it's wrong? I borrowed one for a week and sent it back - it simply wasn't for me.

As for the Feastrex, simply don't use it across the part of the spectrum where the boost is needed... hi-fi, however, it most certainly is....

I have D9nf's attached to a spare pine shelf OB style whilst I'm waiting for some cabinet inspirations - As an extended midrange driver they do some special things even in such humble surroundings....
Old 21st March 2009, 12:02 PM   #1527
diyAudio Member

I can be wrong my friends
but here we spoke about Urushi lacquer , the cone paper, field coils,bronze , the nuance of feastrex !

Is a non sense digital manipulation and so on...

For me FR live in analog , put in a good TT and enjoy
forward in the past

the audio industry sell fast food audio ,the essence of diyaudio is to buld real stuff ,example amp must is class A ie min 10kg
Old 21st March 2009, 12:52 PM   #1528
diyAudio Member

Well, I'd love to "go back to the future" but most of my music is only available in digital format . . .

Such as the recently discovered books of music by Bach's contemporary, the great baroque lutenist and lute composer Sylvius Leopold Weiss . . .

Or Masaaki Suzuki's complete recordings of Bach's vocal works on the BIS label . . .

No, sadly, almost all of my music is digital.

However, I do have a certain fondness for Roy Orbison in vinyl

Here is a little excerpt

Unfortunately the original website has disappeared because of a dispute with the hosting company, but the self-published novel is developing a bit of a cult following.

There is a review of the book here

When he is not wrapping Roy Orbison in plastic film, here's another example of his humor

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread . . . "

-- Chris
Old 21st March 2009, 10:11 PM   #1529
diyAudio Member

Default OB and the Feastrex

9Dnf and the Tone Tubby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0009.jpg (81.3 KB, 964 views)
Old 21st March 2009, 10:13 PM   #1530
diyAudio Member

Default Backside

9Dnf backside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0011.jpg (89.5 KB, 952 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!