Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 131 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 20th October 2008, 02:27 PM   #1301
diyAudio Member

i agree with you re experience, no doubt, but at least when you buy bugatti, you get a basic info does its engine works on diesel or gasoline or LPG.
Old 20th October 2008, 05:03 PM   #1302
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrewbee
[B]I don't understand this obsession with T/S parameters.

What did people use before Mr Thiele and Small published their paper in iirc 1961?
The T/S parameters are just a combination of the driver's physical properties so that they can be used in electrical filter theory which was a more mature engineering science at the time. No magic, nothing new invented, just a different insightful way of calculating and optimizing sealed and ported enclosure designs. Before the T/S parameters people probably modeled drivers and enclosures using basic engineering analysis, see Beranek's book Acoustics for examples of what was done before T/S parameters.

Quote:
Sims are great (not just for speaker design) but they are not the end all of anything.
No they are definitely not the end all, but for an engineer they are the start all. Not being able to provide these simple parameters describing the basic physical properties of the drivers after so long is really amazing. It definitely sets me to wondering.

This measurement is not as difficult as some of the posts above make it out to be. Without this basic data, and with the high price, I just don't see a rush of people looking to try these drivers. If it was not for Chris's long string of posts over the past year or two, I doubt they would even show up on the DIYer's radar. Some people might take the leap on faith, but most will not touch them with a ten foot pole.
Old 20th October 2008, 06:14 PM   #1303
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kmaier
ir of drivers in the near future.

Again, I'll suggest that providing useful information for all drivers is key, but focusing on the D5nf makes more sense as it's the least expensive driver and has the best chances of being purchased by the DIYers.

To date, I'm only aware of 4 enclosures for the D5nf... they are:

1- Moose BVR (aka Freddie Chang and there are two versions)
2- Ron Thackery's baby-TL (which I discount as a true TL - more below)
3- Feastrex 30-liter dual-ported enclosure
4- Feastrex 50-liter ported enclosure (two versions that I know of)
Regards, KM

I think #1 should be this one and not the moose?
New Maiko cabinet for the Feastrex D5nf

Plus don't forget this OB cab idea
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...er_project.htm

Dave
Old 20th October 2008, 06:41 PM   #1304
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave,

No issues... just that there was no specific order in the list, only as they came to mind, albeit I forgot the Maiko (my bad). #1 in my list was this:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-040308.pdf

Also, I remember the OB project, but (IHMO) an OB isn't an enclosure, it's a plank with a hole in it

Regards, KM
Old 20th October 2008, 07:21 PM   #1305
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

It gets confusing with all these cabs, names, crossover cabs etc

I though the open source BVR for the D5nf was supposed to be called Phat Freddie Chang?

That Maiko cab was starting to look really nice, did it ever get finished? I think I'll go bump that thread for something to do

Also I know what you mean about the OB I linked, but I see it as more complex as to just putting a driver on a hole in a board from the way it was done.. In any event it still is an option for someone to be able to enjoy listening to the D5nf drivers as a system etc, plus he really digged it which is always a bonus to hear

Dave
Old 20th October 2008, 08:25 PM   #1306
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwitmer
I think Mike must have misunderstood what Mr. Teramoto was saying . . .
-- Chris
I wish to retract that statement because there is no way I could know with any certainty whether it is actually true. It was a very poor choice of words, especially considering that it amounts to speculation on my part. Mike Luckow has been studying the Japanese language for longer than I have, and for years he has made his living using the Japanese language on a daily basis, so for me to say anything that might reflect badly on his Japanese abilities, especially without any real basis for doing so, was improper. The simple fact of the matter is, there are at most two people who know what was said in that conversation, and I'm not one of them. I'll endeavor to post more responsibly in the future, so as to avoid committing any more faux pas.

And no doubt I have said many more things here that should never have been said, and could probably be profitably retracted, but for now I'll leave it at that and hope, because "love covereth a multitude of errors," that nobody will hold those errors against me. Indeed, in a multitude of words there are many opportunities to give offense, so I'll conclude this post while I'm still (hopefully) ahead.

-- Chris
Old 20th October 2008, 10:02 PM   #1307
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan
I think #1 should be this one and not the moose?
Maiko is a MooseBVR (and i believe 3 exist, i can't recall whether Mike finished his). Loosley based on the open source Phat Freddie, it has gone thru a whole series of revisions sponsered (at least tokenly) by the builders. Their feedback has been invaluable for getting the detail.

Maiko is not open source, plans are available by donation (and could probably still use some detail added to the drawings), the base amount set by the original sponsers.

dave
Old 20th October 2008, 10:13 PM   #1308
diyAudio Member

...assuming it stays as is. Which it may not. I have evil ideas...
Old 20th October 2008, 10:36 PM   #1309
mluckow is offline mluckow  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdwitmer

I wish to retract that statement . . . .

-- Chris

Thank you very much, Chris--you really didn't need to say that. Undoubtedly, I have misunderstood Mr. Teramoto on more than one occasion.

I didn't realize that I've been studying Japanese longer than you. Hey, are you trying to imply that I'm old or something?? I demand a retraction!!

Mike
Old 20th October 2008, 10:44 PM   #1310
diyAudio Member

Top tip here Chris... in hole, get rid of the spade ASAP.

Hide this!Advertise here!