• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever tried any feastrex's with horns? What do you think, could it work with Feastrex drivers crossed around 350Hz - 7Khz? It would of course need some proper tweeters and bass drivers..
I happen to have unused fostex horn tweeters and might get a hand on some seas bass drivers so all it would need to test it is proper horns - but where to find them on a budget in Europe..?

Has anyone ever tried any feastrex's with horns? What do you think, could it work with Feastrex drivers crossed around 350Hz - 7Khz? It would of course need some proper tweeters and bass drivers..
I happen to have unused fostex horn tweeters and might get a hand on some seas bass drivers so all it would need to test it is proper horns - but where to find them on a budget in Europe..?

At one on our DIY exhibitions we tried the D5nf with subs and super tweeters... IMHO the crossover is critical.. even though we could get the levels of the various to blend well.. the electronic crossover was really compromising the details, transparency and dynamics..

Don't know if you are aware but First Watt has come out with an excellent crossover for OB type operations, B5.

FIRST WATT B5

IMHO this B5 is a excellent match for your design.

FIRST WATT B5
IMHO this B5 is a excellent match for your design.

Thanks, I was just trying to remember where I had read about that kind of a crossover. The price is pretty high though, but it seems there's coming a DIY version.
Just to be curious, can you remember what kind of bass drivers/cabinets were you using? I'm thinking some closed enclosures, 10-12inch drivers, pretty high sensibility, to go with my try. Suggestions accepted! :)

What comes to my search for the ultimate horns, I might test my building skills with these before buying any expensive round ones: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/93132.aspx
250Hz should be enough low for the roll-off frequency.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a high efficiency type bass bin.. maybe try a Onken or Bass Reflex design, much easier to build.

Just a note on Horns.. a lot of these big horns can look impressive but please do check the high frequency response, might not be very extended after all.... I just had a friend replace his big JBL horns with a simple Fostex T500A .. and he says he's hearing details he never heard before. Feastrex do have very good extended highs.. please do do some double checking and make sure it's an improvement and not a step backwards after the addition.

Thanks, I was just trying to remember where I had read about that kind of a crossover. The price is pretty high though, but it seems there's coming a DIY version.
Just to be curious, can you remember what kind of bass drivers/cabinets were you using? I'm thinking some closed enclosures, 10-12inch drivers, pretty high sensibility, to go with my try. Suggestions accepted! :)

What comes to my search for the ultimate horns, I might test my building skills with these before buying any expensive round ones: <meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s
250Hz should be enough low for the roll-off frequency.

Hi guys, recently became the owner of some Feastrex D5nf drivers and found this excellent thread. I have a couple of questions based on the following experiences and observations.

1. My current speakers are TAD 4001 mid driver horns, 1601C 15 inch bass drivers in a tuned custom cabinet (similar to onken). The crossover is the passive stock Tad TN-2 and the crossover is at 650 hertz.
2. To get the Feastrex up and running I disconnected the 4001 horns, placed the Feastrex nude on the top of the Tad bass boxes at about ear level and connected the Feastrex and Tads to a SET 45 amp. So effectively the Tad is handling bass 650 hertz down with steepish 18db rolloff (I understand) and Feastrex full range.
3. Based on this configuration I was in shock in two ways. Firstly I wasn't expecting much but instead couldn't believe how incredibly musical the Feastrex played. The detail and refinement of these drivers are superb including an excellent soundstage for such tiny drivers. The second thing was how perfectly they integrated with TAD 1601c bass drivers. I think the TADs are about 95 db efficient. The Feastrex I've read in some places are 92, 95 and even 97. In any case they match the volume of the TADs perfectly. In addition there does not appear to be any crossover between the Feastrex and TAD from running the Feastrex nude full range. For example I'm not hearing heavy male vocals due to the Feastrex intruding into the Tads 650 hertz and under area.

So the questions I have are as follows:

1. Have I just fluked it? Are the Tad 1601s a match made in heaven? I'm hearing a beautiful mid and top end with excellent bass with the TAD without any perceived overlap between Feastrex and TAD.

So has anybody tested the rolloff frequency of the D5nf nude? The reason I ask, is I'm suspecting the nude Feastrex must starting dropping off around 800 hertz and then drop like a brick from 700 ? This would explain why there is no lower midrange coloration with the sound.
2. As far as baffle size and shape for a 650 rolloff what would anybody recommend? ie. would you suggest I keep it nude or mount the drivers in a small open baffle that doesn't materially exceed the width/length of the Feastrex. I am afraid if I make any type of baffle too big then it will start intruding into the Tads 650 hertz sandpit and interfere with the sheer "fluke" in great sound I've achieved on my first shot with these.

Thanks DJ

ps. As an aside I do have some limited experience with open baffles before. Used to own some PHY-HP SAG in open baffles so do love the open baffle sound. The only complaint I had was to get good bass the baffle had to be quite large.

No wasn't a fluke.. Feastrex are excellent drivers that's all.... ;)
I once heard a nude Coral Beta driver with an Altec Bass bins... the nude Coral sounds pretty much like what you describe.. very clean open .. but IMHO rolls off too fast in the lower midrange, hence your perception of no lower midrange colouration...... honestly I much prefer to have a small baffle.. the lower midrange will fill out much better especially on male vocals..

As mentioned iin the above post .. you can try some of the software like edge.. etc and experiment till you get a baffle size that best suits your needs.

Have fun...:)

Hi guys, recently became the owner of some

1. Have I just fluked it? Are the Tad 1601s a match made in heaven? I'm hearing a beautiful mid and top end with excellent bass with the TAD without any perceived overlap between Feastrex and TAD.

So has anybody tested the rolloff frequency of the D5nf nude? The reason I ask, is I'm suspecting the nude Feastrex must starting dropping off around 800 hertz and then drop like a brick from 700 ? This would explain why there is no lower midrange coloration with the sound.

Hi dj, I'd suggest also trying the D5nf in a 2' wide baffle with the subs playing up to about 200hz. Would only cost a few dollars to try it out and it may sound better. Thats how I ran my D5nf open baffle. I never tried it as you have it though, and I'm not averse to running 15" drivers high (I currently run AE TD15M to 800hz), but the Feastrex might still be the better driver at 200-650hz. Worth a play around.

Either way, personally, I would high pass the Feastrex at 650hz or 200hz or whatever, rather than run them fullrange in OB.

Hi guys, recently became the owner of some Feastrex D5nf drivers and found this excellent thread. I have a couple of questions based on the following experiences and observations.

1. My current speakers are TAD 4001 mid driver horns, 1601C 15 inch bass drivers in a tuned custom cabinet (similar to onken). The crossover is the passive stock Tad TN-2 and the crossover is at 650 hertz.
2. To get the Feastrex up and running I disconnected the 4001 horns, placed the Feastrex nude on the top of the Tad bass boxes at about ear level and connected the Feastrex and Tads to a SET 45 amp. So effectively the Tad is handling bass 650 hertz down with steepish 18db rolloff (I understand) and Feastrex full range.
3. Based on this configuration I was in shock in two ways. Firstly I wasn't expecting much but instead couldn't believe how incredibly musical the Feastrex played. The detail and refinement of these drivers are superb including an excellent soundstage for such tiny drivers. The second thing was how perfectly they integrated with TAD 1601c bass drivers. I think the TADs are about 95 db efficient. The Feastrex I've read in some places are 92, 95 and even 97. In any case they match the volume of the TADs perfectly. In addition there does not appear to be any crossover between the Feastrex and TAD from running the Feastrex nude full range. For example I'm not hearing heavy male vocals due to the Feastrex intruding into the Tads 650 hertz and under area.

2. As far as baffle size and shape for a 650 rolloff what would anybody recommend? ie. would you suggest I keep it nude or mount the drivers in a small open baffle that doesn't materially exceed the width/length of the Feastrex. I am afraid if I make any type of baffle too big then it will start intruding into the Tads 650 hertz sandpit and interfere with the sheer "fluke" in great sound I've achieved on my first shot with these.

Thanks DJ

ps. As an aside I do have some limited experience with open baffles before. Used to own some PHY-HP SAG in open baffles so do love the open baffle sound. The only complaint I had was to get good bass the baffle had to be quite large.
djkiwi,
i am also planning OB with eminence LF and fertin or feastrex drivers.your feastrex OB how is the soundstaging,is it 3d holographic

Feastrex inwall speakers

Hi Guys, I have a flat screen TV hanging on the wall above my fireplace and have been thinking about adding some inwall speakers. I had a whacky idea the other day of using the Feastrex DN5 for this purpose. Because the gas fireplace is there I have about 24 inches from the front of the wall to the back meaning there is plenty of space for the magnets.

I am going to put inwall speakers there anyway so thought I may as well give the Feastrex a crack first. If it doesn't sound any good I will replace them with something else I have on my inwall hit list. Anyone have any ideas on how this would sound or who has tried it?

Cheers
DJ

What's the space behind the spks like ? Will it be something like infinite baffle ?

Hi Guys, I have a flat screen TV hanging on the wall above my fireplace and have been thinking about adding some inwall speakers. I had a whacky idea the other day of using the Feastrex DN5 for this purpose. Because the gas fireplace is there I have about 24 inches from the front of the wall to the back meaning there is plenty of space for the magnets.

I am going to put inwall speakers there anyway so thought I may as well give the Feastrex a crack first. If it doesn't sound any good I will replace them with something else I have on my inwall hit list. Anyone have any ideas on how this would sound or who has tried it?

Cheers
DJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.