• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Planet10's Floyd Toole reference

Dave,

Thanks for referencing Floyd Toole and his work on measurement. This is very informative.

Do you have any other suggestions on loudspeaker / room measurement research that you might share?

I have recently finished a dedicated listening room, Winston Ma / George Cardas based. It's front wall behind speakers is 21' x 13' (w x H), length is 34' with the rear wall at ~27' x ~17' (W x H). Yes non-parallel side walls. Uncanny acoustics.

The room is for my Feastrex D9e III; still sitting in their boxes. I did hear them play at RMAF 2008 in Hal's vented box along with the 5e III Nessie. I'm thinking of mating them in Joe's OB Granada like configuration.

Between the unusual room and the active EQ crossover I need to address my shortcoming in measurement knowledge. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Kevin

... The room is for my Feastrex D9e III; ...

I've just sent my D9e Type I for the CW upgrade...

It's really a great thing that both of you own D9es.

In Feastrex BLOG page, important parts for Dimension-9 Exiter Type III CW Model were unveiled.

1. Before mounting cone, finished with Urushi by Mokoto Tanaka
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2. Yoke with pole piece and top plate, made with 100 % permendur
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

3. Field coil assembly with CW improvement

4. Magnetic circuit assembled

5. Magnetic circuit and basket frame machined from gunmetal block

6. Zoom up of urushi finished fine surface

7. Cone, voice coil & damper assembly are not completed yet

Dr. Akiyama and Hal are currently busy on making further improvement for a cone, voice coil & damper assembly. Please look forward to seeing a new announce on the product.

Bunpei

I saw these at the recent Sight & Sound show in Singapore :

auraldesignfeastrex.jpg

It's a Feastex 5 in mounted in a horn cabinet with curves. I think it called algahorn or something.

Regards,
Joe Ling

The room is for my Feastrex D9e III; still sitting in their boxes. I did hear them play at RMAF 2008 in Hal's vented box along with the 5e III Nessie. I'm thinking of mating them in Joe's OB Granada like configuration.

Any thoughts from anyone who has heard both Tanaka's tubes and Joe's OB Granada's as to how they feel the tube/OB compares (granted, different driver)?

I went back all three days both year, several times, and really liked the Nessies for what they were, but never heard the Granadas shine...
Maybe the crossover/room correction/amps/who knows what,
or maybe I just like the "resonant" tube sound better than the "bouncy" OB sound?

NF5 in stylish dry lacquer substrate cabinet

A new topic from Feastrex BLOG.

A young Japanese craftswoman or craft artist, Ms. Mayumi Ikuta, is exhibiting her craft products at a gallery, Savoir Vivre, in Roppongi, Tokyo.
Though her basic style is in traditional, shapes she created are very modern and stylish.

Among her highly refined Urushi finished original products,

the biggest one is a pair of speaker cabinets using a Japanese traditional technique called "dry lacquer substrate(Kanshitsu in Japanese)" and it mounts basic Feastrex NF5 drivers.

A simple definition of "dry lacquer substrate" is found here. Handbook for the Appreciation of Japanese Traditional Crafts
"Kanshitsu (dry lacquer substrate) = Successive sheets of hemp cloth are pasted over a mould with nori-urushi, a mixture of urushi and rice paste, or a similar adhesive. Once the desired thickness has been obtained, the fabric form is removed from the mould and lacquered. This method allows a high degree of flexibility in the creation of different shapes."
Bunpei remembers that a famous Buddhism statue "Asura" (a Japanese national treasure in Nara) was created by the method about 1,200 years ago.

According to Ms. Ikuta, this method and material can be compared with modern carbon or glass fiber composites.

Dr. Akiyama and HAL are giving their advices on this project.

According to Dr. Akiyama, this design has just started and they have been recognizing some points to be improved so far. For example, Bass.
It is not a closed enclosure. There are totally three openings; at bottom, front and back.

Bunpei listened its sound two days ago briefly and got such an impression;
- No adverse or unexpected vibrations or resonance were perceived on the shell. The shell seems to have very smooth & hard surface and enough strength and rigidity.
- Its sound is very clean, bringing out the best in midrange and treble of Feastrex NF.
- However, as Dr. Akiyama mentioned, bass is to be improved.

In the next post, I will show how to manufacture the cabinet.

Bunpei

what happens when you're away....

Wow, I've not been on any of the audio forums lately due to extensive travel and too much work. I've missed a lot of things... including Chris' tragic death which completely stunned me. I also lost track of this thread after it was moved, not that moving it was in any way sensible to me. It was this thread that led to my purchase of the D5nf drivers which I continue to enjoy (when home) and consider them to be "keepers".

I'm still a huge Feastrex fan and someday would like to pick up a pair of Nf5ex drivers... have also read up on the Granada... very nice Joe! There's still a lot of activity here and I hope to see it continue as Feastrex continues to expand their line and improve their products. It's still my goal to build the 30-liter (Feastrex) enclosures for the D5nf Drivers but not sure when I will have the time, as there is no end in sight for business travel, but then again... that provides funding for all of these lovely toys and experiences. Wishing everyone the best.

Regards, KM

PS - Phil, I think I too would run from those... especially with the bare wires hanging over the gas meter.

Hi KM! Good to see you still boppin around.

Phil, remember those Maiko1's I made of 100% Trex? They are 50 feet under in the landfill now. yuk! They had a very strong resonance down low that sounded very trashy and blurred, but I used no bracing. As a composite with something stiffer it might work out good. I used West Gflex epoxy on raw cut edges but the glue was not strong enough. Looking forward to seeing what you and Mike come up with. I have a DCX2496 with Jan Didden mods, it works really good. I think 175Hz worked good with D5nf in 20x48 size baffle,iirc. The Endler mods are interesting too but I've not heard it yet. Nuthin new here, still loving my Maiko 2s. Thanks Dave and Scott for an awesome design. I encourage any D5nf owners to build it.

The Scottmoose designs Freddie Chang and Maiko 2 were designed specifically to the T/S specs of D5nf, and were optimized with computer simulation. The non-parallel sidewalls of Maiko 2 make a huge difference in refinement and lower distortion. The Feastrex box is not an engineered design.

I have heard 2 or 3 different versions of the Feastrex box with different drivers, 5" and 9". In all cases the speakers sounded good, sometimes excellent, but not consistently, and always colored in some way. Bass performance was always thick and distorted, extending up into the midrange by varying amount with box and driver type. The difference in performance to properly braced and stuffed Maiko2 is considerable. It sounds almost hifi accurate.

Greetings to everybody from Finland! I've read this forum for a while now but still have 0 posts and little to say but now I'll show myself.
I got a pair of feastrex d5nf last week and plan to use them on an open baffle with one pair of eminence alpha 15s (at least at first because I got them to testing from my friend).
I allready have a 2,2cm plywood cut 60cm x 140cm to which I'll attach the driver (maybe decouple them by using magnet holdings) and search for a proper baffle size. Because of my smallish room I'll also test some closed enclosure if time allowes.
The other thing to look for is the crossover: I have a behringer deq2496 with which to actively low pass the bass drivers and I'm thinking using a passive crossover with feastrex. Crossover should be around 250hz. Where to begin testing for different components is the biggest problem for me since I have no experiences about planning a crossover before and therefore would be glad for a helping hand.
For amplification I'll use yamamoto a-08s 45 :)spin:) for feastrex and rwa 30.2 for eminence.

I have heard 2 or 3 different versions of the Feastrex box with different drivers, 5" and 9". In all cases the speakers sounded good, sometimes excellent, but not consistently, and always colored in some way. Bass performance was always thick and distorted, extending up into the midrange by varying amount with box and driver type. The difference in performance to properly braced and stuffed Maiko2 is considerable. It sounds almost hifi accurate.

Just to feedback...I've been spending quite a bit of time lately listening and tweaking the Feastrex designed boxs.. The Feastrex drivers really like very rigid cabinets... I added 3 more horizontal braces per cabinet and additional bituman damping material on cabinet walls and the improvements are HUGE.. I may build a Maiko2 next year to see how it sounds but at this moment I'll just like to share.... Paying attention to bracing and improving the rigidity of the cabinets is the way to go to get the max out of the Feastrex drivers.

Last edited:
I got a pair of feastrex d5nf last week and plan to use them on an open baffle with one pair of eminence alpha 15s (at least at first because I got them to testing from my friend).
I allready have a 2,2cm plywood cut 60cm x 140cm to which I'll attach the driver (maybe decouple them by using magnet holdings) and search for a proper baffle size. ...............

Hmm ..........open baffle..... Lots of information on it in the net. An example will be this: Tip_59

I think Mr Nelson Pass has similar drivers as yours so... maybe he can chip in. Seems to be that its BIB, hehehe.

The other thing to look for is the crossover: I have a behringer deq2496 with which to actively low pass the bass drivers and I'm thinking using a passive crossover with feastrex. Crossover should be around 250hz. Where to begin testing for different components is the biggest problem for me since I have no experiences about planning a crossover before and therefore would be glad for a helping hand.
For amplification I'll use yamamoto a-08s 45 :)spin:) for feastrex and rwa 30.2 for eminence.

Not sure what you meant by planning crossover.

My suggestion is free the feastrex from any Xover and just cross the woofer. Run a sweep and see if the transition is smooth then adjust to your liking.

More informations on these are discussed by the experts earlier on this thread. By the way, good amps, u have there but RWA 30.2 for eminence, dont you think its a little wasteful?

Just to feedback....... Paying attention to bracing and improving the rigidity of the cabinets is the way to go to get the max out of the Feastrex drivers.

I concur with his findings especially with D5 exciter. But careful not to overdamp till the music become souless.

I guess keeping the internal vol and the port size of Feastrex recommended design, making the box non-parrallel with bracing, rounded edges, other usual proven speaker box design, etc helps to improve the stock design considerably too. Much easier & cheaper too.

I do achieve good results from my poorly done up box similar to feastrex specs except on the bass reproduction portion. Colored or not, I dont know but I am liking it.

Hi Richidoo,

Woww... from your description, it sounds like a Maiko is a must try.....
Why will you say the bass is distorted and thick? I dont hear that in my speakers. In fact, too lean for me. Just curious, You bought your drivers since when?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.