• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Images from Burning Amp Festival Oct.18 Presidio Yacht Club Sausalito, CA

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yes, thank you, Joe. It looked like a fun time--much more casual than RMAF and CES. I really wish I could have heard Nelson's open baffle speakers. By any chance, do you happen to know what he's using for his xover? (Or Nelson, if you're reading this, would you like to share this? Or did you already describe it in your "Feastrex fun" thread? Thanks!)

Mike

Last edited:
I was at RMAF and I spoke with Sean and Colin about the OB xover. They are using a unit that Nelson developed specifically for use in speakers like OB's with a fullrange driver. It is called a B4 and First Watt will be producing them for sale, hopefully soon. I want to be the first customer! Fantastic and useful unit to have around...
They are still working on what the xover range will be, I heard it might be in the range of up to 500hz (I hope for this flexibility)
The room was great and I enjoyed listening to their set up in big way.
Jeff

mrkahn, thank you very much for that information. I had heard that Pass Labs or First Watt sells (or will sell) a xover, but I wasn't able to find out anything about it, so that was helpful. I may be interested in getting a pair myself, depending on the price. (Did they happen to say about how much it might cost?)

Thanks,

Mike

Chris's funeral will be held in Tokyo this Saturday, October 24, at 10:00 a.m. If anyone will be in Tokyo on that date and wishes to attend the funeral, please let me know by PM and I can give you details on where it will be held.
Mike Luckow
This morning at Japan Time, Dr. Akiyama, a president of Feastrex Company, and his two sons and Bunpei attended Chris's funeral ceremony held at a small public ceremony hall in his city.
I think that about 300 people attended it in all. They said Chris used to be a very active member of local Christian church and he and his family members had so many friends.
The ceremony was conducted by a pastor of his church in a Christian style.
The family members seemed to be recovering from this shocking tragedy.
The family must be a very good Christian family. His wife described the last life of Chris; a verse in Psalms they learned in the last family Bible class; the last words of Chris when he left his house that morning;...
She gave no description on his traffic accident.
I saw his face was not damaged at all and rather very clean.

Mr. Knifping made a memorial address. He and his brothers lived with Chris's family for several years in Tokyo. He introduced such an episode.
Just before year 2000, Chris imported a huge commercial emergency power battery unit of a few hundred kgs for preparing a possible power failure due to Y2K crises. At a custom warehouse in Yokohama, they tried to load the unit on a truck using some lumbers. However, those lumbers were broken immediately and useless. However, Chris managed to find a forklift operator near by and they succeeded in loading it. Later the battery unit was taken away from his house without using it for the intended use. This time a crane was employed to load the unit into a truck...
Dr. Akiyama and Mr. Teramoto once said he was a transformer fetish. This episode supports the claim. To say exactly, I think he used to be a power supply maniac.

Bunpei

Feastrex Dimension-5 Type III CW Memorial Model

Once Chris Witmer initiated this thread saying;
... The purpose of this post today is to introduce IBI's new Feastrex line of fullrange drivers, ...

... Speaking from personal experience as a user of their fullrange transducers, I can confirm that Feastrex has some truly outstanding products. They not only produce the world's most powerful fullrange drivers (both AlNiCo and field coil models), but they also have developed a highly innovative technology, the Naturflux (TM) magnetic circuit, that is surely a major milestone in the history of audio. After hearing it, I believe many will concur with the general assessment of hearers that it is the finest fullrange driver ever produced. ...

... but the description of the drivers does not go beyond what they can demonstrate, or what a user could demonstrate with his own drivers. I have heard all the drivers except the most innovative model, the one using the Naturflux magnetic circuit. People who have heard it say it is definitely better than the other Feastrex drivers, which blows my mind because I thought the Feastrex drivers were already as good as a fullrange driver -- or any speaker -- could get. So I am really looking forward to hearing these new drivers ...

... Anyone who has a chance to hear these at CES should definitely take the opportunity to do so. ...

Last Sunday and today ( a national holiday in Japan), I could listened to "Feastrex Dimension-5 Type III CW Memorial Model" in a demonstration event held in a suburban city of Tokyo. The newest and the high-end Feastrex Model was named after Chris Witmer , who gave a basic idea for improvement to a basic Type III model.

When Chris started this thread, the most innovative model was Naturflux(TM) . Now, the most innovative one is a Dimension Type III Model(It is equipped with a full-Permendur magnetic circuit and a specially improved field coil & a power supply). However, I have quite a similar impression with what Chris once wanted to say for Naturflux model in his first posting.
Some members of this thread have listened to the Type III actually. I believe all of them were impressed with its remarkable innovative sound. At the same time, some of them might feel embarrassed because its treble was incredibly intense and it was difficult to maintain a good balance as a whole.

This time, the improved Type III CW Model in Feastrex standard box F60 (a very simple bass reflex box) made me change the previous image of Type III.

The CW Model in Feastrex standard box has a better midrange and more natural and speedy bass without losing its remarkable treble.

In the event, four set of enclosures were demonstrated.

The pair at a center is the Feastrex standard box F60 finished with Urushi coating. The tallest pair is Tanaka's Tube(a.k.a. Nessie-J, our nickname is a “Chimney Box”), Version 4. The box with f-holes is Nakamura's product. The white and the smallest one at the left side is a Feastrex three-ported bass reflex.

Bunpei

Kindly tell us a little more about the changes from the standard or previous Type III that make the Type III CW driver unique.

Could it be a 100% Permendur Naturflux field coil sort of driver:)

First, I should correct the model name.
The correct one is "Dimension-5 Exciter Type III CW Memorial Model".

This type III does not have a Naturflux type round yoke.
It has the same cylindrical yoke as the previous type III has.

As a matter of fact, Hal has not disclosed enough details about the Type III CW Memorial Model. He just told me that they introduced well-experienced materials for wrapping(?) and finishing a field coil and for lead wires of the coil. Can you guess what they have made?

Bunpei

Hi Mike

There will be 2 layers of baltic birch 1.5 inches total.
40 inches tall
24 wide
Great Plains 16" Altec 416 Alnico 16 ohm

I'm listening to the 5Dnf in their Makio 1 cabs..
They are being driven by Nelsons First Watt J2. Yes, this is a very happy combo...The J2 has PLenty of power to drive the 5Dnf to the prizes. The bass in the 5Dnf has blossomed. And still it seems that I have not given up ANYTHING in the mid range. I was thinking the that my 45's midrange would be missed. IT IS NOT!
About the only thing I can say to the contraire is that the J2 does not have any heaters.
The J2 has about 150 hours on it. Its getting time to pop the lid and see what those Pass Boys have done.

My only serious question is... When will Digikey carry SemiSouth ? SemiSouth sure does make fine sounding three legged monsters. Still, I suspect they have zero sense of humor unlike their tubed brethren.

No, One layer of plywood (3/4") then on layer of Trex (1.5") Total 2.25" thick. The layers will be bonded with Green Goop. The Trex is recycled plastic/wood mix. One board of this stuff... 10 feet long 5.5" wide and 1.5" inches thick Almost takes two people to pick up one board. It is really heavy and very very dense.
Trex is used for decks... It will Never chip check crack or pucker.

Trex Physical & Mechanical Properties

The tallest pair is Tanaka's Tube (a.k.a. Nessie-J, our nickname is a “Chimney Box”), Version 4.
Construction activities for long tall "Tanaka's Tube" are presented in Feastrex BLOG page. I will introduce this topic adding my personal comment.

Mr. Tananaka, a wood & urushi crafter of Japanese traditional style, is also a typical audiophile and has been concentrating on producing Nagaoka Nessie style enclosures in these years. In this version, he selected a "Russian Birch" plywood.
SvZ0vQfT.jpg

Though some people, including Dr. Akiyama of Feastrex Company, refer the type as a "back load horn", Mr. Tanaka and Bunpei regard it as a simple (not tapered) "quarter wavelength tube". Its effective tube length is 300 mm and this leads a resonant frequency 28.3 Hz (at 15 degree centigrade). Mr. Tanaka's objective is to prove that a 5" full-range driver can produce enough bass as far as a well-matched box is given. To verify this, he always checks his system by playing "Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 'Organ'".

The tube was constructed in the following manner:
1. A back-tube part is on a bench.
We can look at a square hole where sonic wave goes through from a front-tube part.
TRQQjZ9e.jpg

2. A front-tube part is stacked on the back-tube part.
Two parts are tied up by screws inside.
XMDim09e.jpg

3. A Feastrex 5" Naturflux Exciter PIP driver is mounted.
The unit is not fixed on the front baffle by screws. The diameter of the baffle hole is the same diameter of the basket face.
iYVYvngh.jpg

4. A long bolt screwed into yoke locks the driver from backside.
QCnYK2qi.jpg

5. A back-lid for the back-tube is set.
7Ko4UQq4.jpg

6. An "Iron Dead Mass" for the driver is inserted from the back-tube side.
ScFoIdon.jpg

1k62ed6z.jpg

7. Hal watches Tanaka's cabling work.
kBDzRbqc.jpg

8. A back-end of the dead mass and a connector panel
TG0POpUZ.jpg

A pair of Tanaka's tubes can reproduce deep bass of organ instruments very well. However, pros and cons. This tube structure is good for a bass of resonant nature in general. As for such a high-speed bass from drums, of transient and decaying nature, Bunpei thinks the structure does not fit well. Moreover, positioning and size of listening room is very critical for these tall boxes because bass is emitted from the top of the "Chimney". The bass should be diffused smoothly over the room.

Bunpei want to emphasize that Tanaka's tubes can play a cello, violin, sax in a very attractive mood. A woody sound mathes very well.

Bunpei

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.