• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The fun never stops at Feastrex. Here is a quick rundown of some interesting shenanigans they're up to:

"Ancient" Sony CDP-555ESD upgraded ONLY by beefing up the P/S and adding a rubidium master reference oscillator.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The DAC is not NOS and the post-DAC circuitry is all Sony original. The rubidium oscillator is U.S. Navy surplus -- presumably it came from a missile or something. Note this clock is not controlling the CD player directly but is somehow used to control the CD player's clock. This is an AMAZINGLY good sounding CD player. It is on loan to Feastrex from a Feastrex user/business partner. (The folks at Feastrex would have used an R-core rather than a toroidal transformer). The president of Feastrex likes this so much that he plans to do something similar with his equally ancient EMT CD player. There is a lot of heat coming off that rubidium oscillator.

Here we see a brand spanking new amplifier built using all new and NOS parts, including Telefunken RV25 tubes from the early 1930s.

A really nice sound, but the consensus is that it needs more work to achieve its full potential. The president of Feastrex will probably augment the tube rectification with additional solid state rectification. The feeling is that once that is done, the amp will be "as good as it gets." The sound stage is absolutely huge.

A pair of truly wonderful EL34/EL38 amplifiers that will soon to be shipped to a buyer in Finland.

Even with really cheap EL34 tubes from China this amplifier sounded excellent, but Mullard EL38 tubes take it to an even higher level.

This is my favorite amplifer ever (not that I'm a connoisseur of tube amps) and it is currently the favorite of everyone at Feastrex. Everyone who hears it likes it a lot and it is a great match with Feastrex speakers.

The UNFINISHED prototype pair of Mr. Tanaka's "Nessie-like" enclosures that will be sold as a kit for DIYers in Japan.

(The image is recycled from the demonstration at Koizumi Musen in Akihabara the other day.) Listening to pipe organ with these speakers is a very impressive experience. There is a LOT to like about these speakers. I think they do make some small trade-offs in exchange for some serious bass extension, but the trade-offs are small. Probably I would rather live with less bass out of the Feastrex speakers in order to be able to keep the little bit that these speakers give up in the overall tonal balance, as well as to obtain a smaller and more "wife friendly" loudspeaker. For me the standard Feastrex enclosures would seem to be a better choice. My personal thinking is, if I'm going to go for a lot of the really deep bass, I may as well go to the point where, for example, I can feel the bass wave pushing my body on an organ's deep bass pipe blast or the powerful striking of a really big drum. For five-inch drivers, the Tanaka speakers come tantalizingly close to that ideal but ultimately fall short. (One feels like giving them a standing ovation for effort, even if they don't bring home a medal for really deep bass performance.) But every enclosure is going to involve some sort of compromise, and I think a lot of people will consider these enclosures the cat's pyjamas. By the way, there is nothing inside the enclosure but air -- no damping or sound-absorbing material.

What struck me on this visit to Feastrex was how well their products seem to be maturing. I really had a hard time finding aspects to feel less than enthusiastic about. I don't mention any because I couldn't find any "issues" worthy of mention. Well, okay, maybe one: at high volume levels in a really large room like the Feastrex listening room, it is possible to overdrive the Feastrex drivers. That happened on a few pieces with a LOT of energy in the really low bass. I never listen that loud (my wife would have my head if I did) and my room is a lot smaller, so for me it's a non-issue. Note: on this visit, I only listened to various 5-inch field coil drivers. The 9-inchers can of course play louder.

-- Chris

cdwitmer said:

(The image is recycled from the demonstration at Koizumi Musen in Akihabara the other day.)

I want to add some explanations and my comment to the demonstration held on Saturday, April 25th.

At the demo, Tanaka's "Nessie like" enclosures mounted Feastrex NatureFlux-5 inch Exciter drivers while Feastrex Standard Enclosures loaded Dimension-5 inch Type III ( Full Permendur magnetic circuit) drivers. These were connected to EL38 amplifiers.
Tanaka's enclosure is a variation of resonance tube type and is a DIY version of "Urussie-J" originally presented in RMAF 2008. We simply call this type as "Entotsu" (means a "chimney" in Japanese).

I felt the "Urussie-J DIY" was very well-balanced and all-round for various kind of sources. Its bass retains tonal scale of original tones generated by bass instruments.
The D-5 Type III in Standard Enclosures were much treble enhanced. My common impression for Feastrex Type III is;
- very clear and realistic,
- of high resolution,
- reproducing tones emitted from steel musical instruments well, ...

My next interest is a combination of Urussie-J and D-5 Type III which was once demonstrated only at RMAF 2008.

Bunpei

Question:

Were these Nessies similar to, or slightly evolved from the urushi enclosures found at RMAF?

I personally enjoyed the nessie style enclosures at RMAF overall. There is clearly some personal preferences going on in their sound, but it is a way of expressing artistic choice that I would lay my life on the line to defend. Cynics need not apply.

As far as standing ovations go, I do seem to remember that people did stand up and clap a few different times at RMAF after the music was over. By the third day, this setup was definitely hitting on all cylinders.

The high frequencies of the 5" Type III/urushi-J/PP-EL38/Hitachi Finemet/Pranawire setup especially to these young ears are the best of any driver/amp, etc. ever. There are low level decays of the reverbs on vocals and etc. that it normally takes electrostatic headphones to hear.

Blumenstein-Ultra-fi:

As far as news from these shores go, I have been beefing up my Oniyanma setup with a Thorens TD126 MK II. What a table! Of course, I have used more crazy units (like Terry's Teres, or Akiyama-san's EMT), but on my small business budget, this was a steal for the level of performance, smoothness, and general "I want to listen to my music constantly" sensation that I get from this setup.

I was able to procure this thing from our local Walla Walla record store, "Hot Poop!" an old local ally and a fine record store to have just a few blocks from my house!

Power is still a vintage EL84 SE with 5u4 tube rectifiers and 12ax7 drivers. "smoothy and sirky." It is my personal favourite type of sound. It is also likely the lowest power I would be comfortable with using with Feastrex 5". The more powerful amplifiers I have hooked up have all improves transients quite a bit, but seem to loose some of that chilled out character.

Cheers, and keep on rockin'

-Clark

blumenco said:
Question:
Were these Nessies similar to, or slightly evolved from the urushi enclosures found at RMAF?

The Nessie is an economy variant for DIY purpose. Lauan plywood is used and outside surfaces are finished with Urushi just in a very abbreviated manner. ( Inside surfaces are fully coated as the RMAF type were so.)
Pannels are jointed by screws this time.

Bunpei

cdwitmer said:
ddriveman,

Please be sure to let me know if you have any free time while you are in Japan next time -- depending on your schedule, I may be able to invite you to a concert. And I hope I can join you in Nirasaki. The folks at Feastrex have been "up to no good" again on several fronts, so it should be a lot of fun to visit there.

-- Chris

Chris.... I don't suppose I could hijack that invitation?? In theory I arrive in Tokyo 13th May - I've got some ships to play with but there may be a spare day or two and I'd love to have a listen to a D9nf in their native environment.... Any contact info much appreciated, fingers crossed.... Steve

dpaws said:

Chris.... I don't suppose I could hijack that invitation?? In theory I arrive in Tokyo 13th May - I've got some ships to play with but there may be a spare day or two and I'd love to have a listen to a D9nf in their native environment.... Any contact info much appreciated, fingers crossed.... Steve

Steve, sorry to be slow in replying -- I sent you a private email; please let me know if you did not see it.

Chances are NOT good that I'll be able to join you on a trip to Yamanashi BUT I can certainly put you on the right train! And Mr. Teramoto can meet you at the station. OR we can arrange to have you listen to something in the Tokyo area. However PLEASE try to get to Yamanashi -- it is NOT an experience you will soon forget! Various phone numbers were sent to you in the email.

-- Chris

P.S. You can email me through diyAudio My personal email is:
cdwitmer [at] spamcop [dot] net

Here are some interesting tidbits for Feastrex fans --

A write-up in SPL, a Singapore audio magazine:

http://www.mod-avi.com/mod01.html

The file is a rather "heavy" PDF file if you have a slow Internet connection. Feastrex is featured on pages 28-35.

Much of it reads like advertising copy, but it's still a fun to look at.

From India, the Andromeda EM2.5, a new loudspeaker apparently based on the D5e-III field coil driver:
http://www.audire.in/em25.pdf

-- Chris

D9x cabinet

Hi guys,

Here comes a little 3D rendering of the cabinet (sans top plate) that i have been playing around with for the D9 family of units. It is app. 110l and has two ports. A pair is made up from two mirror image cabinets where one can have the lower ports facing inwards or outwards depending on what fits ones room and/or taste. The ports are easy to adjust, for more lower midrange one makes the fron port dominant and for less the opposite. I have done quite some tests with these made from standard marine ply with very good results and are awaiting one pair made from 18mm bamboo ply by the end of this month. I will get back here when i have done some more testing with the new bamboo units.

EDIT: The unit is mounted against the the center "pillar" and is just sealed against the baffle with a thick felt gasket.

BR,
Anders

Attachments

• d9cab_1.jpg
    d9cab_1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 806
cdwitmer said:
Anyone reading this blog who visits Japan should try to visit Feastrex in Yamanashi Prefecture. (It is within reasonable striking distance from Tokyo.)

Thanks so much to everyone who turned this suggestion into reality for me - wonderful people and a great experience - I just wish I had another day! Listened to the 9" Field Coil drivers (I think a type3?) in a reflex / ported cabinet of some considerable mass - fantastic drum solo and silky smooth Jazz...

Couldn't find any techno funk in the extensive record collection, maybe next time ;o)

–{“–‚É‚ ‚肪‚Æ‚¤

dpaws said:

Couldn't find any techno funk in the extensive record collection, maybe next time ;o)

–{“–‚É‚ ‚肪‚Æ‚¤

Yup, had the same problem when I was there, so that why I brought my own weird techno, mostly orbital. The david bowie, massive attack, Talking heads, switched on bach, Lee Scratch Perry, Les Paul (on 78), most were received with weird stares... Mr. Teramoto did like Lou Reed though. Of course, it quickly became insisted that I could only listen to most of my music when no one else was around :) At the same time there was alot of overlap in all of our respective musical tastes. In the absence of a common verbal language, the musical language was a surprisingly effective form of communication between Mr. Teramoto and I, for instance.

It was interesting, nonetheless to see what parts of western music history get "lost in translation" to the East, especially pop music, which could perhaps just be a function of a generational difference. One thing is for sure though: a passionate love of classical music knows no bounds. It was really heart warming as well to go to the several musical performances that Chris brought Mr. Teramoto and I to during the summer. A symphony in Tokyo or Seattle? Both awesome.

Aw, your visit has got me all reminiscent now... Steve, I am so glad that you got to see Feastrex firsthand. I am sure it is an experience you will not soon forget.

Cheers,

Clark

Rich: take her for a spin, you won't be disappointed...

Re: D9x cabinet

bappe said:
Hi guys,

Here comes a little 3D rendering of the cabinet (sans top plate) that i have been playing around with for the D9 family of units. It is app. 110l and has two ports. [SNIP]

EDIT: The unit is mounted against the the center "pillar" and is just sealed against the baffle with a thick felt gasket.

BR,
Anders

Dear Anders,

That looks VERY interesting indeed. Very elegant in its simplicity, IMO. Is there a long bolt reaching through the reinforcing "spine" into the threaded hole in the back of the yoke?

-- Chris

Feastrex has just come up with an 8-ohm version of their voice coil for 5-inch (D5nf) drivers. The folks at Feastrex say that going to 8 ohms does nothing to improve the driver's innate performance characteristics over the 16-ohm version, but the resulting driver may be a better impedance match for some amplifiers, such as tube amps lacking 16-ohm taps and some "digital" amplifiers. I'm told that Feastrex does NOT plan to add this 8-ohm voice coil to their standard product line, but it is still good to know that 8-ohm voice coils will be available to those who want them, either via OEM drivers or on a special order basis.

Here are some shots of the 8-ohm VC:

And here are some shots of the 16-ohm VC for comparison:

-- Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.