• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: MCAP-CR Cabinets

dpaws said:

Fantastic find - many thanks - please, if you can find anything for the larger 9" Feastrex drivers it would be much appreciated

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks, I guess you could take the cabinets and scale them up.. Anyway, you can also try contacting the designer via his website.

I'm currently in the process of doing a big corner horn for my D9e... You can email me .....

Feastrex and current drive amps

I'm concidering one of the First Watt amps to drive my Feastrex, likely F5, of F2 if funds cant stretch.

Looking at a series of published FR graphs showing the current source amps with other full-range drivers, the amps seems to flatten the FR curve quite conciderably, raising the bottom end and bringing down the typically peaking top end.

I'm wondering though, with the D5nf sounding pretty flat as is, to my ears, would these amps unwantedly lower the presence region/upper mids/lower trebble, or does it leave an already flat FR curve pretty much as is?

thanks for any input.

B

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Current source amplifiers (the F1 and F2 are examples) bulldoze
their way through impedance variations for good or ill.

Typically any FR driver coupled with a current source needs some
sort of passive network in parallel (not series) to flatten out the
response. This is easily done, as written up in pieces on
www.firstwatt.com

Most of the time it's a simple RC network.

:cool:

cdwitmer said:
And although it is off-topic,

-- Chris

you are never 'off topic', in your own thread ...

Attachments

• july_08.jpg
    july_08.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 640
Thanks for the reply Nelson.

I reread the Current Source Amplifiers and Sensitive / Full-Range Drivers" article but am still a bit unsure.

It seems a current source + network can both increase (FE166E)) or decrease (PM2A) the upper treble, compared to a voltage source. So given that I'm happy with the D5nf's frequency response (dont need more bass as I'll high-pass with have active woofers, and dont want any less upper mids), and given that I couldnt predict the effect a network would have, I cant see the worth in pursuing a network. Am I missing something? (my electronics knowledge is non existent so please excuse).

I'm also not sure the effect of current source WITHOUT network vs voltage source. The DX4 graph is the only one to show current source with network vs current source without, and I'm suspecting by the traces that current source without is the same as voltage source?

Basically, I'm wanting to understand what effects, if any, the First Watt amps will have on the frequency response of the D5nf in the absence of any parallel networks (which I wouldn't have the knowledge to calculate start values for anyway)

Many thanks

cdwitmer said:

Truly, there is no new thing under the sun:

Flux Spanking

Let's not get into the question of how "natural" it is . . . :D

-- Chris

no comment here ... .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

````````````````````````````````````````````
should you find time, do you have any more Exact pics?

i had some, that seem to have found their freedom ....

````````````````````````````````````````````

http://video.google.com/videosearch...l=en&ie=UTF-8&client=safari&rls=en-us&tab=nv#

Re: Re: Re: MCAP-CR Cabinets

BTW said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks, I guess you could take the cabinets and scale them up.. Anyway, you can also try contacting the designer via his website.

I'm currently in the process of doing a big corner horn for my D9e... You can email me .....

;) ;)

Hello BTW, Steve,

I registered myself to this community soon after finding my URL.
I thank you very much for your interest in my multiple degree of freedom cavity resonators. MCAP-CR is one of multiple degree of freedom applications.

I uploaded ten application drawings in my website: all of them are actual works and they sound fine.
There are already some users in Japan. They gave me emails after making 3" applications. They were really surprised to hear the sound of MCAP-CR with small 3" drivers, because they regenerates 40Hz and lower, though overall size is much smaller than backloaded horn systems.

I have not heard Feastrex 9" driver, but MCAP-CR is easily extended to 9" as well. I guess total size for 9" will be a little bit smaller than Nagaoka's backloaded horn system like D-58 and so on.

Please email me, if you want to try or hear MCAP-CR sounds. My TR130d cabinets are now unused and they will be taken to Feastrex labo in a few weeks. They are much interested in MCAP-CR.

http://www.geocities.com/sg_suzuki/index.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: MCAP-CR Cabinets

MDOFCR said:

I have not heard Feastrex 9" driver, but MCAP-CR is easily extended to 9" as well. I guess total size for 9" will be a little bit smaller than Nagaoka's backloaded horn system like D-58 and so on.

Please email me, if you want to try or hear MCAP-CR sounds. My TR130d cabinets are now unused and they will be taken to Feastrex labo in a few weeks. They are much interested in MCAP-CR.

http://www.geocities.com/sg_suzuki/index.html

Hi,

Thanks for posting here... Think I'll probably try the TR130b cabinets for the D5nf ... Will email you about the D9e cabinets.. :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MCAP-CR Cabinets

BTW said:

Hi,

Thanks for posting here... Think I'll probably try the TR130b cabinets for the D5nf ... Will email you about the D9e cabinets.. :D

Hi,

You will find nice photographs of TR130b enclosure in my Japanese page. Those photographs will be helpful.

I am happy to help you to develop MCAP-CR for D9e driver. Please try TR130b for 5" driver first and test it if you like. Not only myself but also other Feastrex user preferred it very much.

Regards,

Shigeru

http://www.geocities.com/sg_suzuki/muse.html#mfg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MCAP-CR Cabinets

MDOFCR said:

Hi,

You will find nice photographs of TR130b enclosure in my Japanese page. Those photographs will be helpful.

I am happy to help you to develop MCAP-CR for D9e driver. Please try TR130b for 5" driver first and test it if you like. Not only myself but also other Feastrex user preferred it very much.

Regards,

Shigeru

Thank you very much for the link.. Will study the pictures in detail.... :cool: :)

OB and the Feastrex... A short story of love and hate

In a nutshell it is everything I want and need in a driver/box combo...or boxless combo as is the case here.
If you boys and girls out there in cyberspace have not tried the OB and the Feastrex all I can say is shame, shame on you. Get your sorry ***** in gear and build yourself an OB. You will be amazed and delighted.
A few pages ago I showed some pix....
The size is not so critical. But big is good. Mine was 18 inches wide and 40 inches ish high.
I plan to build another. I'll go 24 wide and 45 or so high. I might try a 15 inch Tone Tubby.

I love the sound, the tone, the very wide and deep soundstage, no stuffing, no muss, no fuss.
What I dont love... The price of the Featrex 9Dnf.
Oh well...
I have built this one for my client/friend, Johanna, so the question remains,
Will I pony up the bucks for a pair of 9Dnf's for myself?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.