• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good to know, between being fed up with 'Hotlanta' in general and in particular how its changing climate is increasingly affecting my health, I've been giving some thought to moving and Santa Fe is on my list of choices. Like you, I imagine I'll be on the 'wrong side of the tracks' as I've been most of my life regardless of where I land, though some of it was my choice to give me more time/$$$ for what's really important, my hobbies ;) (once any kids are accounted for of course).

GM

Hi GM, good to hear! You will just need to adjust SoS for the 7,000+ foot altitude.

OT: Even though winter can be cold, the sun is warmer at the high altitude and that takes the edge off, in my mind. Also, in winter, if you have a wood stove or fireplace insert, it's toasty. The smell of the local pinon wood is addictive.

Starting next month, they will be roasting green chiles all over town -- another addictive smell. I like Santa Fe because it's a small, manageable town with lots of history, high desert, mountain areas, some rivers, low humidity, and there are a fair number of vintage cars because things don't rust much (no road salt).

There's an almost endless supply of museums, galleries, concerts, the opera, restaurants, natural hot springs, etc. Rail service to Albuquerque is almost finished, and you can always jump in the car and disappear into northern New Mexico's little towns and remote areas. I hope you keep it on your short list!

rjbond3rd said:

You will just need to adjust SoS for the 7,000+ foot altitude.

Yeah, the rest sounds great, but I had a hard enough time breathing in/around Sturgis S.D. which is only ~3x higher than Hotlanta, so may make it a non-starter.

BTW, for audio purposes altitude per se has no bearing on the SoS, it's the temp changes that affects it, so how hot/cold the driver's/speaker's environs sets the SoS calcs.

GM

Re: Woofer Tester

Phil Townsend said:
Do you know how to use it?Phil

Hi Phil, yes it's a snap! Do you have access to a Windows box? If not, let me know because I have one you can borrow if you like. Congrats on the drivers! How are your eNaBLed Harveys?!

GM said:
BTW, for audio purposes altitude per se has no bearing on the SoS, it's the temp changes that affects it.GM

Hi GM, oops, I don't even know enough to make a joke in this forum. :) Thank you for the correction. It's true the air is thinner here. :( Most people do adjust though.

bamboo cabinet-worlds smallest Feastrex cabinet project

the drivers mount in nicely. We will soon know if flush mounting changes anything. The driver itself is supported by a bolt through the back.
the inside corners of the box are also rounded to match the outside corners and the back is sloped. I'll start with no stuffing, just a Tozawa resonator and work from there.
Man! This bamboo wood is so rigid it makes the MDF cabinets seem like doughboys.
Will report more as we move along.
Regards
Brian

Attachments

• bamboocab.jpg
    bamboocab.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 628
Re: Size matters

Phil Townsend said:
Thanks Brian...
Two more things...
How deep is it and is there a port?

the back is sloped but the average depth is 22 cm. so far I've found this driver likes wide baffles.
yes there is a port at the bottom back. port length starting point will be as suggested by the dreaded WinISD and later adjusted by actual in room measurements.

are you thinking of a second Feastrex system for your bedroom?

Brian

Re: Win Box

Phil Townsend said:
I can run XP on my Mac....
The EnAbled are truly wonderful... Come by and give a listen...
Call me...466 7575
I can't find your number...
Phil

Hi Phil,

I picked up the WT2 from S&L a while back (pretty sure they provide the one for Partsexpress). I also tried running it from XP running under Parallels on the MacBook Pro. Not a good setup as I had a constant clicking sound coming from the driver, most likely caused by timing sensitivities in the USB being virtualized to the VM session. Unless you're using Boot Camp (hence a native boot of XP on the Mac) you may have the same problem and the results will not be accurate. I wound up using an older ThinkPad running XP and everything was fine.

Regards, KM

Also very interested to hear how the bamboo works out. I did the Moose BVRs in solid red oak which is pretty hard stuff (and somewhat hard to work with too). However, despite lots of internal bracing they still flex a bit. My simple non-scientific method is placing a glass of red wine on the top with music playing.... (okay, late in the evening after a nice meal and finishing the rest of a great Chianti). You can see the sound create ripples in the surface of the wine ;-)

Regards, KM

kmaier said:

I did the Moose BVRs in solid red oak which is pretty hard stuff (and somewhat hard to work with too). However, despite lots of internal bracing they still flex a bit. My simple non-scientific method is placing a glass of red wine on the top with music playing....

Hmm, Red Oak is at least as 'stiff' (MOE rating) as BB ply, so the cab's Fs should be well above its passband. Factor in this small a driver plus limited Xmax can't generate enough acoustic pressure in a BVR to excite it enough to matter has me wondering what's causing high enough amplitude, 'low' frequencies to vibrate a 'massive' glass of wine.

FWIW, I stand on end a square edged enough coin and as long as it doesn't dance around or topple at the highest typical average SPL of a pipe organ symphony, the cab's sufficiently non-resonant.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.