• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rich,

I echo your sentiments about being jealous of Clark! I wish I could experience that as well. You're one very lucky guy, Clark!

I hope you do go visit Feastrex in Japan while Clark is there to give you an English-language guided tour of the facilities. If not, I'll probably be going next summer and I'd be very honored to go there with you and show you around Tokyo, my old stomping ground. And I'll bet Chris would enjoy meeting you as well.

A visit to Mr. Teramoto's workshop is a very special treat. Where else can you listen to all the different types of Feastrex drivers with great tube amps and Mr. Teramoto's big studio reel-to-reel tape recorder? (Sorry, I don't recall what make and model it is.) When I was there last summer, we couldn't tear ourselves away from it, so we ended up listening until something like 4:00 a.m., and then Mr. Teramoto kindly drove Chris and Charles and me back to Tokyo, a little over two hours from the Feastrex factory (at Warp 9, the speed Mr. Teramoto usually drives). It was an almost magical experience--one I'll never forget. That was also my first time to hear a Feastrex driver, which was also an almost magical experience. (Luckily, I get that particular experience every day now!)

Anyway, I hope that a trip will work out for you. If you can go during the off-peak months you can get great fares through my Japanese travel agent. Last year they had off-peak fares as low as $500 round-trip from Denver to Tokyo (plus tax). So, be sure to let me know if/when you can go and I'll put you in touch with my travel agent.

Mike

Richidoo said:
Due to language barrier I have been a little shy to consider a trip . . . .

Rich, the language barrier isn't really as much of a problem as it used to be. Now there are maps and signs in English in almost all the train and subway stations, making it pretty easy to get around.

Back in the days when Chris and I first went to Japan, everything was in Japanese and that was a bit challenging, but now it's not too hard at all. Last summer I took four American teenagers over there for a month, and after just a couple days they were able to get out on their own and ride the trains and subways around Tokyo, armed only with a bilingual map. If teenagers can do it, I think you can, too! ;-)

Mike

mluckow said:
Mr. Teramoto's big studio reel-to-reel tape recorder? (Sorry, I don't recall what make and model it is.)
Mike

I think he has three different ones, actually... Of course, I was a little dismayed the first time I was handling the master tapes (Teramoto-san just kept handing them to me saying "no problem!") In his studio, we do not have any "open" magnetic circuits laying around (generally alnico and field coil are "closed"), so the master tapes are relatively safe. wheew!

Rich, I definitely remember you. Who wouldn't? It has been a pleasure speaking with you on the multiple occasions we have had, and I look forward to our next meeting.

And thanks a bunch guys, it is really great to be part of this team, and they are definitely team players. Ziggy Stardust "It ain't easy," namely the language learning, but it is coming along. Day by day...

Again, thanks for the encouragement. We (plural) would not be here without you (plural).

-Clark

Thanks Mr. Witmer for your encouraging welcome. I have been following this post closely for the last few months since I have been actively involved in feastrex as a part of audire techologies.

At the outset, Sharath, the owner of Audire, had a great urge to experiment with the D9e type3s. And it happened thus that he ordered a pair from mr. teramoto, who cordially obliged to come to India on a friendly visit during the time as well.

At this time we were well into our first cabinet construction for the D5nf driver and passive radiator combo (again in gold), lets just say we have a fetish for exotic finishes :), and the magic was taking most of our time, we were continously in the listening room.

unlike other drivers we experimented with, i had the pleasure of seeig sharath sit down in peace while listeining to the D5nfs (he'd be running around the place adjusting things all the time otherwise).

it was a magical experience like none other.

he then decided that it was only i order that in the quest for the best hi fi has to offer, and in respect to a great artist and engineer like mr. teramoto, we should get a larger lineup of feastrexes, not only the lower ed version but also the best of their best.

so we ordered a pair of phosphor bronze framed, gold ad urushi finished D9e type 3s, really no holds barred.

ofcourse, Mr. Teramoto's arrival to India, meant that we would to atleast listen to the drivers in a suitable cabinet even if it was temporary.

so we made the temporary cabinet that you see in the photos here on DIYAUDIO, which was a cabinet made completely out of imagination. once again, since it was a temporary one it was made out of organic materials and the port was left unaltered.

the new cabinet arrived after Mr. Teramoto had left back to Japan, and this is the full fledged one. while similar in dimensions to the older one, thats where the similarlity ends. the material is made specifically for us and works wonders with the D9es.

I can safely say that perhaps we have atleast an extraordinary improvement in the sound with this new material.

currently, we are trying different aligments of ports and also some other unique ideas which I will discuss in more detail in the future.

Pine variant on standard Feastrex box

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From an online friend (mostly a direct quote but with some editing and paraphrasing):

I followed the design shown here:

http://www.lotusgroupusa.com/Cabi D5_5e.pdf

However, I did make some changes at Hal Teramoto's suggestion and also for expediency. For example, as Hal suggested I made the enclosures 3cm deeper than what is shown in the linked drawing. I also took Hal's advice on altering the port dimensions slightly and moving it a bit lower down on the front baffle.

I built from pine planks. (Chris' note: I'm not sure but I think the rear panel may be Baltic Birch plywood). I had started to build from Baltic Birch but I was having difficulty getting good miter joints with BB and others had recommended the sonic qualities of pine, so I gave pine a try. Since the initial width of the planks is nominally 28.5cm, this led me to get away slightly from Hal Teramoto's dimensions, but with this type of enclosure it is not felt that a few mm here and there are that critical.

My first listening impression is "WOW"! Goose bumps. It's hard to imagine how so much sound can come from such a small speaker. I completely forgot about the technical stuff and was able to just enjoy music, my foot started tapping etc. What astonished me was that they are not deficient in bass; I was expecting very early roll off that was quite noticeable, but my first impression is that they have no such problem. There is no stuffing inside the box and since the Feastrex mounts to a horizontal oak bar inside the cabinet it doesn't get much simpler than this.

I have found it very difficult to fully integrate multiple driver speakers with a crossover in the low midrange. One of the really nice things about the Feastrex running full range is that the presence of vocal is not impaired.

I will let you know how things progress but wanted to thank Mr. Teramoto for an excellent speaker.

Anyone planning to build this enclosure should take note of the fact that the front panel slopes backward slightly, so it is not all 90 degree angles that you are working with. But even with that in mind, I think this ought to be well within the capabilities of most DIYers.

-- Chris

D9e-I drivers in locally built Feastrex-type enclosure

From Singapore:

Looking good! White things visible through the port are Tozawa Resonators made from Japanese washi paper (different from that used in the drivers), for which a bit of crumpled up newspaper or a paper bag can also be substituted . . .

Full frontal view

Rear view. Both power supply and voice coil polarity can be switched, for a total of four possible combinations.

Rear panel open to show Tozawa Resonators

Close-up of the "back EMF power recovery module" & switching apparatus, etc.

Now what I want to know is . . . how does it sound?

-- Chris

Hmm. Well, the mention (in the first link) of hanging the device by a string reminds me of something GM mentioned on the BiB thread, namely that a suspended felt pennant in the mouth could (under certain very specific circumstances) act as a "high mass diaphramatic absorber":

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1229699#post1229699

(You have to scroll up to the preceding post for the context.)

Re: D9e-I drivers in locally built Feastrex-type enclosure

cdwitmer said:

Now what I want to know is . . . how does it sound?

-- Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for uploading the pictures for me.. I'm not good at loading pics.
I'm still running in the D9e .... sounds excellent.... The D9e moves at lot more air than the D5nf .. so I really like the increase in scale and
image size. The bass also much more realistic... wonderful PRaT.

Mr Teramoto put diodes in the DC power supply.. and he did mention that this helps in giving the spk the electro-mechanical braking effect..
I was playing RR's Dafos very loud and I noticed that the cone didn't seem to be moving... I went closer and I observed that the cone was indeed moving but it just start and stopped faster than the normal permanant magnet spks( sort of like no extra movement or oscillation).. Very interesting cone movement from the field coils.

IMO it's this "electro-mechanical" braking effect that gives the Feastrex Field Coils it's distinct clarity and definition.. actually kind of reminds me of ESL type of sound.

cdwitmer said:
Skeptical, and well you should be, if anyone claims they are performing minor miracles. In Feastrex's enclosures they have been found to give a small but noticable and welcome improvement in the sound . . .

-- Chris

Yes, I was skeptical too when I first got hold of these Tozawas... but it sure did improve the tone and tune out the boxyness of the bare cabinets.. In other words ... it really worked in my cabinets with the Feastrex drivers... I now like to use the Tozawas because it's very convenient to use.... I'm not very fond of the trail and error method of using rockwool, cotton or damping material.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.