• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By the way, I did not mean that you can't get to see information on the box unless you are placing an order . . .

And yes, OB is also very appealing . . . except that 1) it's another expense for folks who may already be stretching to get the D5nf; 2) WAF is not as good as most boxes: 3) when everything comes off just right, it's heaven, but it can be a bit of work getting everything worked out so the bass and main driver mesh just right.

Hopefully 3) will be worked out by someone else so you can just follow in their footsteps . . .

This looks very interesting indeed:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=54875.0

-- Chris

Plans for the 5' driver cabinet can be found here:

http://www.lotusgroupusa.com/Cabi D5_5e.pdf

There are more recent designs, but I don't have the drawings yet.

The D5e Type II sound fabulous in the boxes Mr. Teramoto brought on the plane from Japan to Las Vegas.

I suppose I've used up this lifetime's allotment of superlatives. I will probably loose any remaining credibility if I post again in a manner similiar to previous posts, but I just might have to anyway.

I have the deepest respect for Mr. Teramoto. His skill cannot be explained by the mere recitation of his resume, and his accomplishments can not be accounted for by the amount of time he has been building loudspeakers. The steady progression of improvements to Feastrex drivers since 2006 borders on the supernatural.

One thing to be aware of: Mr. Teramoto does not believe in high level cables and accessories. Here we differ, as my life and business revolve around these things. If there is one more device that will squeeze another drop of resolution out of a system I won't hesitate to use it. When you visit Feastrex, as far as I can ascertain, all of the cabinets are using very thin Belden speaker cable doubled up.

I finally got around to replacing the internal wire in the D5e II cabinet with 10 gauge 6 nines pure Acrolink hookup wire. Guess what: There's another speaker in there - bigger, badder, fatter, finer, wider, more finely resolving, more finely tuned, with tighter bass and more precisely defined spacial cues.

'Nuff said.

Joe, as you know, those drivers almost seem to be alive -- they seem to keep getting better the longer one uses them. (Of course, that's hardly unique to Feastrex -- Lowthers are said to sound their best just before their surrounds disintegrate from "foam rot.")

The enclosure that Mr. Teramoto threw together for your D5e-II drivers is probably a better match with those drivers than with the D5nf; at least, that is Mr. Teramoto's feeling. He also likes the NF5ex in it and I suppose the D5 would sound very good in it too, since its parameters are pretty close to those of the field coil drivers. As a general rule, that type of MLTL enclosure will be pretty forgiving . . .

My correspondent whose report I posted above does not particularly care for the Feastrex enclosures he heard, but it is important to remember two things: the Feastrex head office listening room does not even have examples of "official" Feastrex enclosures in it all the time, with the exception of the original triple-ported enclosure, which houses D5nf drivers. All the other drivers are either housed in boxes that are "works in progress" or they are housed in boxes that are regarded as cr@p but they're too cheap to turn them into firewood. Sometimes there are nice examples of "Feastrex" enclosures there briefly, but if such enclosures are available it is because some customer has ordered them, which means they won't be around for long.

Right now the one experimenting most with enclosures at Feastrex seems to be the president, Mr. Akiyama. (Mr. Teramoto is too busy building drivers, etc. to get involved.) However, Mr. Aklyama is operating under a bit of a handicap, in that his listening room itself has some issues that need to be addressed if good cabinets are to be developed there. That's one reason why Mr. Teramoto does most of his own critical listening not in the main listening room, but in his own work area. Mr. Akiyama's room was built for him, probably at considerable expense, by someone who told him it was an ideal listening room, but it does have issues that need to be addressed. What Mr. Akiyama needs is someone that he acknowledges as Someone Who Knows What He's Talking About to go visit that listening room and tell him, "Hey, your listening room has got some issues." Eventually that will happen and then that room will become a better place for people to listen in, and a better place for Mr. Akiyama to work on improving Feastrex's existing enclosures.

As I mentioned a few times, there is now a new face at the Feastrex head office, and after Mr. Teramoto gets back from overseas I think some very interesting things will start to happen, including the development of (even) better enclosures.

On top of that, despite the handicaps under which people in North America were working under (designers without drivers), it seems that genuine advances are being made there, and there are also third parties in Japan working on enclosure designs, so I think we will see more and more options becoming available for DIYers in the near future.

Finally, I suspect there may never be a single enclosure design for any of the drivers that everyone will agree is "the best," as people have different listening preferences, listening environments, etc. But the ones we have will continue to sound better over time, and that's a pretty exciting thought. I can't wait to see what you're going to show at the next RMAF and/or CES.

-- Chris

cdwitmer said:
By the way, I did not mean that you can't get to see information on the box unless you are placing an order . . .

And yes, OB is also very appealing . . . except that 1) it's another expense for folks who may already be stretching to get the D5nf; 2) WAF is not as good as most boxes: 3) when everything comes off just right, it's heaven, but it can be a bit of work getting everything worked out so the bass and main driver mesh just right.

Hopefully 3) will be worked out by someone else so you can just follow in their footsteps . . .

This looks very interesting indeed:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=54875.0

-- Chris

Thanks for the info and the link Chris:cool: And I didn't think you were saying that you had to order to get the plans so ''no worries''. If I had been a little less lazy web surfing I may have answered my own question..

If anyone ever comes across anymore people trying out the D5nf in OB, please link it if possible. I've seen the OB Feastrex-Augie review, and seems like he was duly impressed.. Thanks!
Dave:)

Here is the link to the website that describes the manufacture of the paper used in the main cones: http://www.washiya.com/shop/iwanoho...arienglish.html Yes, Feastrex and Exact have important features in common; however, Feastrex has dumped every aspect of Exact drivers that were unique (or nearly unique) to Exact. The salient features that they have in common are the use of generally similar paper in their main cones, and the use of leather surrounds. There is a general similarity in their sound, at least when both are compared to other fullrange brands. Mr. Teramoto completed just the minimum amount of schooling required by law in Japan. He has a great deal of intelligence, but it is the intelligence of someone who learns through his fingertips rather than through his eyes (i.e., through reading). He has done a lot of different jobs that require both skill and hard work, and he has suffered numerous work-related injuries over the years. He has backpacked around the world and knows a lot of phrases in various languages, especially Thai and Swedish. (He worked for several years with a person from Thailand, and he also worked for a Swedish company for several years.) The great thing about Mr. Teramoto is that he has tremendous ingenuity and has developed a really good "horse sense" for problem solving. He sold his house in Tokyo to finance his startup venture building speakers in Yamanashi, and he took me to see the house while he was in the process of vacating it. He was proud of that house because he built it himself. It was indeed a nice house, much better build than most Japanese houses. He also helped me repair a cracked cast iron plate in my piano, and despite having zero previous experience in such repairs, the results were excellent. My piano tuner, one of Japan's leading piano technicians, was extremely impressed. He is just one of those people who are very comfortable building and repairing things despite lack of prior experience. Although he had plenty of experience with audio in general, he really had no background in building speaker transducers before Mr. Sano taught him the basics, but Mr. Teramoto's background was in fact nearly ideal, as so much problem-solving through a hands-on approach has turned out to be necessary to the development of the drivers. I have met professionals working the field of loudspeaker manufacturing who had attended a 4-year university to learn science to apply in this field, but they suck as professionals because they can't think beyond what they were taught. Mr. Teramoto is also pragmatic and has the good sense to focus on the drivers rather than dividing his limited time and energy between drivers and enclosure development. He does spend some time and energy on enclosure development but only a small fraction of what he spends on the drivers. The enclosures are extremely important, obviously, but it is something that others can do just as well or better than him. Feastrex is now in the process of trying to hire someone who can join the company in assisting Mr. Teramoto, and if that works out, they will have more resources that can be devoted to enclosure development. Mr. Teramoto has told me that he might consider the develpment of a whizzerless driver, but that he only wants to deliver drivers that are capable of being properly categorized as "fullrange" drivers. So far none of the Feastrex drivers do 20-20k; they all give up something on the bottom end. However they deserve to be called fullrange just as much if not more so than other fullrange drivers. I'm sure he would be against the idea of deliberately producing a driver that had a narrower useful band. His rationale is simple and self-centered: "I can only produce a limited number of drivers before I get too old and must retire, or die. I want all of them to be the type of drivers that I love most, fullrange drivers. If others want to use them in multi-way systems, that's fine, but I don't want to produce drivers that are oriented primarily toward a specific frequency band." -- Chris

Thanks for the effort of putting this presentation together Chris, much appreciated. Unfortunately the link you've posted is not working. I thought is a problem with my provider but then, it doesn't work from my office neither.

Regarding the use of washi paper, how did Mr. Teramoto arrived at this cone profile? Just by trial and error? And are the cones made by him, in-house or are made by a third party? I hope these questions are not too intrusive, but I really find encouraging the fact that a man with no academic background managed to get at this higher degree of refinement in speaker design. It's really inspiring.

Thank you!

The entire website is down, apparently. I think it is probably just temporary, but if it continues for any length of time, I'll get in touch with the website's owner.

I'm not sure how Mr. Teramoto arrived at his cone geometry, but I suspect it was through trial and error. The cones are made by him personally.

-- Chris

talawalla said:

I finally got around to replacing the internal wire in the D5e II cabinet with 10 gauge 6 nines pure Acrolink hookup wire. Guess what: There's another speaker in there - bigger, badder, fatter, finer, wider, more finely resolving, more finely tuned, with tighter bass and more precisely defined spacial cues.

Yeah, while speaker wiring can be used to good effect as various types of electrical filters, using tiny wire to further raise an already medium to high driver Qts is going in the wrong direction, especially if the cab was designed based on its T/S specs.

Audio systems are just that, systems, so each sub system in the signal chain needs to be designed/chosen to maximize system performance, not be just the usual collection of odds n' ends based on everything but what the speaker system actually requires.

GM

talawalla said:
One thing to be aware of: Mr. Teramoto does not believe in high level cables and accessories. Here we differ, as my life and business revolve around these things. If there is one more device that will squeeze another drop of resolution out of a system I won't hesitate to use it. When you visit Feastrex, as far as I can ascertain, all of the cabinets are using very thin Belden speaker cable doubled up.

Actually, Mr. Teramoto DOES affirm the efficacy of high level cables and accessories. However, he thinks choices on such matters should be made by someone else besides Feastrex . . .

-- Chris

Actually, Mr. Teramoto DOES affirm the efficacy of high level cables and accessories. However, he thinks choices on such matters should be made by someone else besides Feastrex . . .

Which leads to something I meant to express in my last post, but didn't: This is actually one of the many many reasons why I admire Mr. Teramoto so much. In a sense, he is behaving like a Zen monk here. He is making do with the least, so that when the product shines in that light, it really shines. Further, in a sense he is allowing others who use the driver to take credit via their implementation, but, as we all know, even in less than optimal cabinets, these drivers are remarkable.

cdwitmer said:

-- Chris

Feastrex drivers are very revealing when it comes to cable, component.., changes upstream.. So it's best the end user experiments and find the best combination for himself. For myself , I didn't do a very big cable comparison in my system... But I'm basically settled on MIT Interconnects on Phonostage , simple DIY cables for Digital stuff and pre to power and some solid core gold alloy spk cables got off the audiogon..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.