e20 DAC - DXD / DSD - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2012, 09:13 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Can some draw a block diagram of how all these devices connect together and what capabilites a DAC would need? For example, to play full DSD files.

If I had a media server with FooBar 2000, what would I need after the media server.

For Example:

Media PC>exaDeviceA>exaDeviceB>DAC>preamp

Thanks,

Vince
Old 11th October 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

The diagram for playing DSD with Foobar looks like this:

[Foobar2000]--->[Any-DSD-Capable-DAC | e20 DAC]--->[Good-Analogue-Power-Amplifier]--->[Speakers]

In the case of the Orions, there is an extra component. Because the Orions don't have crossovers, you have to have crossovers before the power amplification stage. The line level crossovers used with the Orion speakers are called Analogue Signal Processor(ASP).

[Foobar2000]->[e20 DAC]->[ASP]---|
|-[ASP]--->[Base Power Amplifier]------------>[Base Speaker Driver]
|-[ASP]--->[Middle Range Power Amplifier]---->[Middle Range Speaker Driver]
|-[ASP]--->[Treble Power Amplifier]--------- ->[Tweeter]

Here is a step by step guide for configuring Foobar for DSD playback: Configuring Foobar2000 for ASIO DSD / DXD Playback with exaSound DACs.

I will publish a guide for configuring Audirvana Plus for DSD over PCM on OS X. It is very simple. And yes, DSD over PCM is a real DSD. PCM is used as transport stream, but there is no conversion of DSD to PCM.

Check the e20 user guide for instructions how to configure J River for DSD
playback: exaSound Audio Design > e20 DAC > Owner's Manual

Here is the Orion speakers website: ORION challenge to DIY

Best,

exa065

Last edited by exa065; 11th October 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moophone View Post
Do you really hear any difference between the battery and DC adapter? This would be an interesting experiment for me.

What exactly did you change in order to use the battery? What kind of battery?
Any 12 Volt battery will work. You can try with a car battery, an alarm battery or a fancy 12 Volt LiFePO4 battery pack. More powerful batteries have lower internal resistance, and this is beneficial to a certain point. Eventually the law of diminishing returns will kick-in.

You can use a cable like this - CA-2185 Tensility International Corp | CP-2185-ND | DigiKey.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Exa065, thanks for the information.

Is it possible to use the exaDevice? Do I need a 384k 32-bit DAC also?
Old 11th October 2012, 10:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

32bit/384 kHz is a PCM mode of operation, and it is not required. You need a DSD capable DAC. Yes, you can do it with the exaU2I or with another DSD capable USB to I2S interface, but the result won't be as stable and the quality won't be the same. It took us a year from the release of the exaU2I to perfect the DSD performance of the e20 DAC. You will have to solve many technical challenges to get rid of pops and clicks, bangs and crashes when your DAC goes out of sync, or when it switches from DSD to PCM mode. Making the ES9018 to reveal its DSD potential is not a plug and play game.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Moophone wrote:

"Do you really hear any difference between the battery and DC adapter? This would be an interesting experiment for me.

What exactly did you change in order to use the battery? What kind of battery?"

Moophone,

exa065 has posted the part number CA 2185. You may wish to also use an in-line fuse on the hot lead. I do not, but I recommend members do so, to protect the e20 in case of an accidental short across the + and - leads of the battery.

I am not a power supply guru so while I will describe what I hear, I may not be able to provide the proper technical explanation. More knowledgeable members are welcome to contribute.

I found the 12 volt battery to reduce noise and subtle phase aberrations that I attribute to the stock wall-mount AC-DC switching power supply.

With the supplied power supply, there is a slight residual 'ringing artifact' that seems to come on, or after the trailing edge, of the music. The phase is subtly affected resulting in an inaccurate (shortened) natural instrument decay in space; spacial cues in the music and sound-stage are also slightly less holographic with less space/air; the beautiful harmonic structure/layering of the instruments and vocals are slightly masked.

My Optima Blue 12 volt battery corrects these subtle issues and cinched my decision to keep the e20 in my home.

For the record, I am currently using my Lumination loudspeakers (high efficiency, high quality single driver horn loudspeaker), and custom low power SE triode mono-block 2A3 amplifiers manufactured by Found Music.

drspence
Old 12th October 2012, 05:51 PM   #17
PJotr25 is offline PJotr25  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Here is a step by step guide for configuring Foobar for DSD playback: Configuring Foobar2000 for ASIO DSD / DXD Playback with exaSound DACs.
exa065
Is it possible to play DSD on foobar via this guide on exaU2I?
I was try but not work.
I can play DSD via loTech Player very well.
Old 13th October 2012, 12:13 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

This is very interesting. I will conduct the same experiment and post my findings as well. Thank yoou for your explanation, I realize and appreciate the difficulty in explaining such differences!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspence View Post
Moophone wrote:

"Do you really hear any difference between the battery and DC adapter? This would be an interesting experiment for me.

What exactly did you change in order to use the battery? What kind of battery?"

Moophone,

exa065 has posted the part number CA 2185. You may wish to also use an in-line fuse on the hot lead. I do not, but I recommend members do so, to protect the e20 in case of an accidental short across the + and - leads of the battery.

I am not a power supply guru so while I will describe what I hear, I may not be able to provide the proper technical explanation. More knowledgeable members are welcome to contribute.

I found the 12 volt battery to reduce noise and subtle phase aberrations that I attribute to the stock wall-mount AC-DC switching power supply.

With the supplied power supply, there is a slight residual 'ringing artifact' that seems to come on, or after the trailing edge, of the music. The phase is subtly affected resulting in an inaccurate (shortened) natural instrument decay in space; spacial cues in the music and sound-stage are also slightly less holographic with less space/air; the beautiful harmonic structure/layering of the instruments and vocals are slightly masked.

My Optima Blue 12 volt battery corrects these subtle issues and cinched my decision to keep the e20 in my home.

For the record, I am currently using my Lumination loudspeakers (high efficiency, high quality single driver horn loudspeaker), and custom low power SE triode mono-block 2A3 amplifiers manufactured by Found Music.

drspence
Old 13th October 2012, 12:15 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes, it works perfectly, as does JRiver. If you have issues contact exasound support and they will get you up and running quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJotr25 View Post
I was try but not work.
Old 13th October 2012, 03:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJotr25 View Post
I was try but not work.
No, unfortunately exaU2I can play DSD only with the proprietary player.

Hide this!Advertise here!