• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

Hi Guys,

Is there a way to use Exa2ui USB-I2S to connect to Psaudio DirectStream DAC using HDMI cable ?

Thanks,

Alexandre.

I think I recall an I2S to hdmi (I2S) being sold somewhere (search google and this forum)... That would probably be the easiest way. Else if you know the pinout you should be able to manually solder the connections from the exau2i's outputs.

I have had one of these for several years. I have tried most of the boards that are mentioned on DiyAudio. I still think the U2I hass the best sound of them all.
It does pass 32bit to a 9018, at least the BIII version from TwistedPear.
The ASIO driver works with JRiver. I have never had an issue with it.
I do not use the clocks from the U2I with the BIII. However, I have fed the U2I into various ESS DACs from DIYINHK using he clock on the U2I. This also works well.
I have not intention of getting rid of mine any time soon.

I have had one of these for several years. I have tried most of the boards that are mentioned on DiyAudio. I still think the U2I hass the best sound of them all.
I do not use the clocks from the U2I with the BIII. However, I have fed the U2I into various ESS DACs from DIYINHK using he clock on the U2I. This also works well.

Agreed. My u2i is great and works best with jriver. The newer versions of jriver have a wdm driver that allows it to act as a sound card. This works awesome with the u2i because it asks the device to work with any windows program and not just one that support asio. This overcomes one issue as before you needed to buy the virtual cable software to achieve something similar. It is a great combo.

exau2i to BIII

How do you hock up exau2i to BIII without using the clocks on the u2i?

Best regards
Petter

There is no reclocking on this board. But USB data is decoupled into a large buffer inside the FPGA and read out using high quality clocks on the board. However the power domain isolation happens on the output I2S interface using GMRs which inject jitter of their own.

Wonder why the USB power isolation wasnt done at the input, leaving the I2S output to have the low jiiter clock

For those who still have one of these I thought I would give an update on my experience using it with Windows 10. The ASIO driver works perfect. I did an upgrade from Win 7, so I did not even have to reinstall the driver.
Now the really good news. There is a noticeable improvement in the sound quality. I would compare it to the improvement I heard by adding an AudioQuest Jitterbug to the USB chain. I use the latest version of JRiver with no issues.
My only regret is that I did not upgrade to Win 10 sooner.

John