• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

OK finaly got most of the money for my project. Before I start I have one question. I have the u2i and an going to be using 5 dacs with it. 2 in mono the rest sterio. Now my question is. Will the u2i have enough power to pass data to all 5 DACs or will I need to boost the i2s signal some how? And yes its an 8 channel dac setup that I am looking at with the sterio pair in dual mono. Thanks Andy

OK finaly got most of the money for my project. Before I start I have one question. I have the u2i and an going to be using 5 dacs with it. 2 in mono the rest sterio. Now my question is. Will the u2i have enough power to pass data to all 5 DACs or will I need to boost the i2s signal some how? And yes its an 8 channel dac setup that I am looking at with the sterio pair in dual mono. Thanks Andy

This will be a very exciting project! My advice would be to start with one DAC, and to confirm that everything works. Then you can start implementing the big plan. You may have to use buffers on the clock signals. The GMR outputs can handle 3 DACs, more than that can be difficult.

Make sure that you are using the same DVCC power supply for the exaU2I and all DACs.

Regards,

George

Hi George,

Really excited about the new version!
Yes, would like to register my interest for purchasing one. Even the current one has become my preferred transport for the AckoDAC System

Mine is all 9018/12 DACs so hopefully you would maintain support for these.
The rest on the list is really good, native DSD especially. Possibly dedicated 2CH or 8CH versions if these make things more optimized?

OSX support?

Is the I2C a slave or master? Can the sample rates be read over I2C? I will be using the AKC12 Controller (master), so DAC Vol Cntrl is taken care of but sample rates from EXA2UI needed (for display purpose mainly).

Those U.FL coax, if you could leave it unpopulated would make it easier for my DAC that uses the smaller w.fl types. I could kludge a connection in place.

From the looks of it you have got re-clocking done after the isolation. If true this is great! For your current version (2.0) I am doing the re-clocking externally using a separate module after the isolators. So this could become redundant :)

Has the dimensions and mounting positions been finalised? Nice if you could keep it the same as the current one for easy upgrades. ETA? would like to start the integration process already.

Well done and thank you for the great efforts!

Same here! Interested in the new version but the 2 channel version.

Do

I have encountered an issue when using exaU2I and JRiver for 6 channels (copying the signal from 2 to 6 channels for triamping). When there is signal on more than 3 channels I get loud crackling noises, and it gets even worse when I use more channels. All channels are clean when run separately, but it doesn't work when adding more channels.

Any ideas? Seems hardware/firmware related and not a JRiver problem. Something with the hardware buffer? I have the first version of the exa ASIO driver. Maybe I should try the newer dashboard version?

I have encountered an issue when using exaU2I and JRiver for 6 channels (copying the signal from 2 to 6 channels for triamping). When there is signal on more than 3 channels I get loud crackling noises, and it gets even worse when I use more channels. All channels are clean when run separately, but it doesn't work when adding more channels.

Any ideas? Seems hardware/firmware related and not a JRiver problem. Something with the hardware buffer? I have the first version of the exa ASIO driver. Maybe I should try the newer dashboard version?

Hello Painkiller, It is good to hear from you.

I've emailed to you your username, You can always request a password reminder on the login page of the exaDevices download site by using your username or email. Please download the latest drivers.

I don't think that this is a driver issue. The configuration that you are trying to setup was tested using Foobar and Allocator. Could you try to recreate the configuration described in this article - Using Allocator with exaU2I and Foobar 2000.

Thanks! I tried the newer driver, but with no difference. I'll try the Foobar + Allocator setup and get back to you.

The problem might also be related to timing issues, since the clock lines are daisy-chained to the dacs. Strange that all channels work fine on their own though.

Daisy chaining can result in strange reflections. They should all be home runs.

Well, I've been doing some troubleshooting, and it's definitely a hardware problem. I have three stereo AD1865 dacs. When I disconnect the 5,6 data line, the two others work perfectly. When I disconnect the 3,4 data line, the others work perfectly together. But when I disconnect the 1,2 line, others don't work.

I guess it might be a wiring issue. Different data line lengths on line 3,4 and 5,6? Could that be the problem?

Ok, a lot of back and forth here. It wasn't a data/clock wiring issue. I had shared the 5v supply with the one going to the dac. When I put in a separate 5v supply the problem disappeared. So exaU2I works perfectly with both the JRiver internal crossovers and with the Thuneau Allocator. Running 6 channels at 192kHz now.

Ok, a lot of back and forth here. It wasn't a data/clock wiring issue. I had shared the 5v supply with the one going to the dac. When I put in a separate 5v supply the problem disappeared. So exaU2I works perfectly with both the JRiver internal crossovers and with the Thuneau Allocator. Running 6 channels at 192kHz now.

Congratulations!

You've mentioned that a similar issue was reported on the J River support forum. Could you send me the link? Perhaps your solution can be used to solve the other case.

Best,

exa065