• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

Hi George,

Really excited about the new version!
Yes, would like to register my interest for purchasing one. Even the current one has become my preferred transport for the AckoDAC System

Mine is all 9018/12 DACs so hopefully you would maintain support for these.
The rest on the list is really good, native DSD especially. Possibly dedicated 2CH or 8CH versions if these make things more optimized?

OSX support?

Is the I2C a slave or master? Can the sample rates be read over I2C? I will be using the AKC12 Controller (master), so DAC Vol Cntrl is taken care of but sample rates from EXA2UI needed (for display purpose mainly).

Those U.FL coax, if you could leave it unpopulated would make it easier for my DAC that uses the smaller w.fl types. I could kludge a connection in place.

From the looks of it you have got re-clocking done after the isolation. If true this is great! For your current version (2.0) I am doing the re-clocking externally using a separate module after the isolators. So this could become redundant :)

Has the dimensions and mounting positions been finalised? Nice if you could keep it the same as the current one for easy upgrades. ETA? would like to start the integration process already.

Well done and thank you for the great efforts!

Hello Acko, Thank you for the kind words.

We are testing the new exaU2I with an ES9018 DAC, and so far everything is backward compatible. We are considering 2 channel and 8 channel versions. The new device will be released with OS X and Windows ASIO drivers. On Widows we will support native DSD. The OS X drivers will support DSD over PCM.

The I2C is a master. At this time we use it to control the ES9018 volume and other settings. Eventually we can try addressing a third device. This is a good idea, it makes the LED indicators unnecessary :)

We introduced the coax connectors to make it easier to attach the exaU2I to your DACs. I guess I picked the wrong type. Can you email me the part number that I should use?

Yes, relocking is done after the isolation. The output jitter is as good as the clocks. This makes it easy to experiment with different clocks and power sources.

The device is under development, everything can be changed. It has about two times the surface of the old one. Please send me an email and we can discuss early testing.

Best,

George

Hi George,

Thank you for all the details.

As for the 2CH version it is best to stick to the U.FL coax types as I realised my DAC requires input remapping and fan-in, so will be using the header outputs with an adapter board instead. Doing w.fl coax to match my setup would make yours not compatible with other DACs/devices. I may revise my own 2CH DAC design with U.FL types to match in future.

For the 8CH version, would prefer the smaller w.fl coax, Hirose PN:W.FL-R-SMT-1(10), Digikey PN:H9173CT-ND

The I2C is a master. At this time we use it to control the ES9018 volume and other settings. Eventually we can try addressing a third device. This is a good idea, it makes the LED indicators unnecessary
Good to have a "PC dashboard" control of the DAC. If not too much trouble adding a slave i2C channel would be great, otherwise just provide a header with all the led lines. Please do not remove the LEDs. There are actually quite useful diagnostics.

Happy to do some testing on the prototypes! will email shortly

Cheers, Acko

Ok, I get it :)

As you know, long ago the exaSound team of developers made the decision to stay away from USB 2.0 Audio. We did that not because we are arrogant, we didn't like it. It is a standard produced by a committee, it is everything to everyone, it is overcomplicated and we couldn't find straightforward support for key functionality that we need. One day we may use it, not now. We invested 3 years of R&D to produce a no-compromise signal path, and we have enthusiastic support from our customers. Our number one goal is sound quality, compatibility with the rest of the jungle is secondary. If you are a DIY person, you should know how to install a driver. Consumers know how to do it, and they don't find it difficult. It is a onetime deal, you install it and you forget about it.

I've just came back from CES/The Show Las Vegas. There was a Mytek DAC in every third room, and I couldn't find a single one playing high-resolution audio. I've seen error messages on the computer screens caused by their drivers and "No Lock" flashing sign on the unit display. Our drivers are rock solid, easy to install and use, and sampling rate switching is automatic on Mac and Windows ASIO. We provide driver updates very quickly when there are issues.

Talking Linux, it shouldn't be that difficult for us to write the driver and dashboard. It will be our first development project on this platform, so it will be fun. Our developers have just installed Ubuntu in virtual machines. We will play with ALSA and Jack. Any feedback is appreciated, this is a new kind of adventure for us.

Best,

exa065

New features

There has been suggestions for being able to run a plethora of DAC's like the TDA1541's, PCM1704 etc.

A real advantage would be to be able to run these balanced.
This would mean 4 more signals out with inverted data.

I would really put this high on my wish list.

Keep up the good work.

(( Per

P.S. Put me on the list if you want someone buying and bets-testing your new design.

Here's some pics of my test setup.

Currently using:
EXAU2I USB-->I2S
TPA BII with 100Mhz clock
Mix of Paul Hynes and Trident regs
Sigma 11 main PSU
Dual Tube-I-Zator for I/V
Salas SSHV2 high tension

Sounds extremely good! I'm currently building the OPC's NTD1 I/V which will become my main I/V stage.

2013-01-26%252010.22.10.jpg

2013-01-26%252010.22.40.jpg

2013-01-26%252010.22.54.jpg

I can only say good things about the EXAU2I. Much better sound than my SPDIF. More micro details! Really enjoy it!

Do

The eight-channel version will be able to work in two-channel mode. The four-channel mode will not be supported anymore.

Can you please clarify, If I was to use J Rivers MC18 DSP as a crossover outputting 4 channels R Hf, R Lf, L Hf and L Lf The new unit could not work in this mode?

Tony