• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

I'd just like to see an end to the perpetual upgrades.

DSD256 should be the highest DSD sampling rate needed since the quanitzation noise is out of the audio band. Same with PCM sample rates. Really no need to go beyond DXD/384.

We provided several free upgrades for the exaU2I at no charge:

• 384 kHz sampling rate was a free software upgrade
  • dsd64/dsd128/dsd256/dsd512 was a free software upgrade
  • OSX drivers
  • We released a second generation ASIO drives and the Dashboard
  • We also upgraded the clocks with 1ps crystals without changing the price
  • The devices with upgraded clocks have a new firmware with lower jitter
At this time we are discussing a new device, not an upgrade.

Regards,

exa065

Last edited:

• OSX drivers

Regards,

exa065

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of the upgrades.

Are there measurements for the exaU2I after the upgrade? Or before and after comparison?

not working means that Audirvana is for example not outputting any sound Amarra is unstable and crashing from time to time under Mountain Lion.
This is not the problem with other USB devices so its a driver / OS problem.

I'm happy to go back to Snow Leopard if that would solve the issues, but so far i have not heard any statement if this would solve the issues, you only promised updated drivers a few posts. I'm also not the only one having issues with Mountain Lion. So either way updated drivers are needed or an older OS.

To be clear - do you still plan on having a new OS X driver available soon that will work with the current board and Audirvana; proving DSD support?

The current exaU2I supports DSD in a twisted way. Our e20 DAC and the new to-be-developed USB to I2S interface support DSD natively. I don't like half measures, new driver without hardware support won't make anybody happy. It is time for a new device.

not working means that Audirvana is for example not outputting any sound Amarra is unstable and crashing from time to time under Mountain Lion.
This is not the problem with other USB devices so its a driver / OS problem.

I'm happy to go back to Snow Leopard if that would solve the issues, but so far i have not heard any statement if this would solve the issues, you only promised updated drivers a few posts. I'm also not the only one having issues with Mountain Lion. So either way updated drivers are needed or an older OS.

What version of the OS X drivers are you using? Have you reported the issue to customer service on our website? I don't thing we left any request sent to customer service unanswered, and we don't have any open cases on OS X. I use Audirvana Plus, and I recommend it to customers. What is your user name on our website? I would like to check the customer service logs.

I admit that lately we've been busy with the e20 DAC, and this thread was neglected. I don't know if the world needs another exaU2I, that's why I am asking.

Two years ago there wasn't much choice. We were waiting for the USB to I2S interface from TPA. Now there is a healthy competition. We have the WaveIO, but it has been reported that it has 2 ns jitter because of the internal XMOS re-clocking. My customers have told me that they have bought it, tested it, and sold it because "it is not in the same league with the exaU2I". There is no DSD support either. I know that the use of standard drivers is a big convenience and it opens the door to new platforms, like iPad and Android, but priority must be given to the sound fidelity.

Then there is the new USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter. I am reading on their thread that it cannot pass the bit-perfect test of the Audio Precision APx525 system, and it doesn't sound as good as WaveIO. You get what you pay for.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO device is another alternative. It can provide very good results, but I think it is a partial solution. Perhaps I am wrong, here is my issue with it. The I2S buffer has no way to control the computer. Even if it is attached to an asynchronous USB interface, it has no way to ask the computer to speed-up or slow-down the USB stream of data. Computer timing is horrible. The FIFO board uses its own clocks for re-clocking, so the two clocks will go out of sync. After a while the FIFO buffer will skip, if the computer clock is faster, or it will get empty if the computer clock is slower. It is just a matter of time. For a 100 ppm computer clock the chance is let say 1:10,000 on the bit-clock frequency. Depend on the sampling rate and the FIFO buffer size this can be after 15 min or after an hour. Perhaps it is OK to have one FIFO buffer error per hour. I continue to believe that the top solution is asynchronous USB to I2S, nor asynchronous I2S to I2S.

I continue to believe that the top solution is asynchronous USB to I2S, nor asynchronous I2S to I2S.

Oh I agree, and I'm not sure how much interest there are from others, but I'm extremely interested in the new board.

This is probably the most stupid question you will get any time soon, as I have no idea how fpga stuff works or anything involved in how you design/build the exa.... But how flexible is the output pin configuration, and can it be made to be switched around using software on the fly?

I only ask, as right now obviously a few wires need to be switched around when changing from PCM to DSD and vice versa, when used with an ESS Sabre chip. Obviously isnt that big a deal when using something like TPA's OTTO. But is this the sort of thing that could be taken care of in a future exa design? as in programmed directly into the fpga? Or is it just impossible or too messy?

@exa065

i was not aware that there is support existing. I can also try that one.
Which version of OSX and Audirvana are you running whithout issues ?

I have the issues with 10.8.2 driver 1.6.0a4 and all of the latest Audirvana versions.

I'm happy to downgrade to Snow Leopard if this would fix the problems i do not need all this icrap on a music server ...

exa065: is it possible to share source of DSD loTech Player?

Pjotr,

The LOTech player uses commercial libraries, and we will be violating the license agreements if we open the source code. Perhaps Flemming can open the source code for his DSD player. He gave it to us, to illustrate his idea, and that's how DSD for exaU2I was born. I don't feel comfortable to release his code.

Oh I agree, and I'm not sure how much interest there are from others, but I'm extremely interested in the new board.

...can it be made to be switched around using software on the fly?

I only ask, as right now obviously a few wires need to be switched around when changing from PCM to DSD and vice versa, when used with an ESS Sabre chip. Obviously isnt that big a deal when using something like TPA's OTTO. But is this the sort of thing that could be taken care of in a future exa design?

Here is the way we have it designed for now: On the PCB there will be 13 control pins - one for each sample rate, including DSD sampling rates, one for power and one for the FIFO status. By reading these pins, you will know the mode of operation - PCM or DSD and the sampling rate. You will also know when the FIFO is ready to un-mute the DAC.

Is this OK with you? Do you need any additional signals?

Hi exa065,

How do we identify if the unit we have has the upgraded clocks? When was this introduced?

Thanks

• OSX drivers

Regards,

exa065

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Pjotr,

The LOTech player uses commercial libraries, and we will be violating the license agreements if we open the source code. Perhaps Flemming can open the source code for his DSD player. He gave it to us, to illustrate his idea, and that's how DSD for exaU2I was born. I don't feel comfortable to release his code.
Hi George
You are welcome to share my code.
But remember is was only a 'proof of concept'.
And the ASIO SDK parts has to be downloaded direct from Steinberger.

Flemming

Hi George
You are welcome to share my code.
But remember is was only a 'proof of concept'.
And the ASIO SDK parts has to be downloaded direct from Steinberger.

Flemming

Hi Flemming, it is good to hear from you. Thank you for reminding us about the ASIO licensing rules. I will find the zip that you've sent me and I will send it to Pjotr.

Your proof of consent is actually bullet-proof.

Best,

exa065

Joined 2009
Paid Member
We have a long list of requests for features, and they are interconnected. For example the exaU2I hardware was not designed for DSD. DSD was enabled with a software hack, and this puts limits to what can be done with a player or driver update. There is no hardware signal to switch the DAC between DSD and PCM modes.

Linux drivers are important, but if the hardware needs an update, the driver development has to wait.

I've been thinking about updates and new features for the exaU2I that can take the sound quality to the next level. We've been working also on the numerous requests to make the next generation device more open to tweaking and DIY experiments.

• Just about 1ps jitter
  • Two sets of clocks for synchronous and asynchronous operation with ES9018
  • 8 channel DSD
  • 8 channel DXD / 384 kHz PCM
  • Individual LEDs for all PCM and DSD sampling rates
  • Easy elimination of USB power
  • Macro USB connector
  • Header for connecting external USB connector
  • Connectors for external power sources
  • New ground isolation technology
  • Micro BNC output connectors
  • Elimination of the USB daughter board
Am I missing something on the hardware side?

Regards,

exa065
Volumen control : One or two I2C outputs
The driver supports multiple boards : Do you need to synchronize the clock in the boards.

What I am looking for is a system with two 'black box' dacs connected direct to my power amps, where all the control and display are in the pc, and I only have one usb cable to each dac.

Flemming