• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

... Bunpei, with DSD256 the quantization noise doesn't overlap with the audio allowing simple filtering. Thus I don't see the need to go beyond DSD256.

Yes, your deduction is very reasonable as far as we consider a frequency spectrum of music. As you may know very well it, the filed of our hi-fi audio is filled with empirical findings.

The first trigger that made me interested in DSD256 was the post by flemming3520;
DSD256 and DSD512 files and multi channel DFF files
After this, I tried and listened DSD256 actually and I have convinced the superior quality of DSD256.
Along with this sequence, the next goal is exploring DSD512 for me. This is my simple reason.

Bunpei

exaU2I - What is Next

We have a long list of requests for features, and they are interconnected. For example the exaU2I hardware was not designed for DSD. DSD was enabled with a software hack, and this puts limits to what can be done with a player or driver update. There is no hardware signal to switch the DAC between DSD and PCM modes.

Linux drivers are important, but if the hardware needs an update, the driver development has to wait.

I've been thinking about updates and new features for the exaU2I that can take the sound quality to the next level. We've been working also on the numerous requests to make the next generation device more open to tweaking and DIY experiments.

• Just about 1ps jitter
  • Two sets of clocks for synchronous and asynchronous operation with ES9018
  • 8 channel DSD
  • 8 channel DXD / 384 kHz PCM
  • Individual LEDs for all PCM and DSD sampling rates
  • Easy elimination of USB power
  • Macro USB connector
  • Header for connecting external USB connector
  • Connectors for external power sources
  • New ground isolation technology
  • Micro BNC output connectors
  • Elimination of the USB daughter board
Am I missing something on the hardware side?

Regards,

exa065

We have a long list of requests for features, and they are interconnected. For example the exaU2I hardware was not designed for DSD. DSD was enabled with a software hack, and this puts limits to what can be done with a player or driver update. There is no hardware signal to switch the DAC between DSD and PCM modes.

Linux drivers are important, but if the hardware needs an update, the driver development has to wait.

I've been thinking about updates and new features for the exaU2I that can take the sound quality to the next level. We've been working also on the numerous requests to make the next generation device more open to tweaking and DIY experiments.

• Just about 1ps jitter
  • Two sets of clocks for synchronous and asynchronous operation with ES9018
  • 8 channel DSD
  • 8 channel DXD / 384 kHz PCM
  • Individual LEDs for all PCM and DSD sampling rates
  • Easy elimination of USB power
  • Macro USB connector
  • Header for connecting external USB connector
  • Connectors for external power sources
  • New ground isolation technology
  • Micro BNC output connectors
  • Elimination of the USB daughter board
Am I missing something on the hardware side?

Regards,

exa065

I have a few questions and requests.

First can I request that you dont go macro usb connector? I know you have said cables shouldnt make a difference, but I notice it, and noticed it enough to invest in furutech usb cabling to go with the current Exa, I'd hate to be left with a future Exa that has no decent cable options available.

Love the idea of a micro bnc connector for clock signal and supporting asynchronous.

You mentioned earlier that the current Exa cant provide a hardware signal to switch the dac between dsd/pcm, but Im guessing the new version would have that? (didnt see it listed)

Lastly, even if the current Exa doesnt allow hardware signals, implementing dsd over pcm would still be a nice option for us, for those of us willing to switch things manually or with an arduino, while we wait for the newer updated board.

(PS: I'll be buying the new board without doubt!)

The lines that power the LEDs will be used to control external logic. The board will have the option for installing LEDs or a header, or maybe both.

I don't know what to do about the USB connector. Most of the requests are for traditional old days "Macro" USB connector. Personally I like the micro USB connector. I find it more stable and reliable. There will be a header for connecting an external USB connector, like the ones used in desktop computers to connect front panel USB ports to the motherboard. This gives you the option to use the type and make of connector that you like. The question is what connector should be installed on the PCB to serve the majority of the users.

The next generation exaU2I will support DSD over PCM on OS X, and ASIO DSD on Windows. DSD support will be a standard feature.

What does that mean? Is reclocking after the isolators possible?

Otherwise the list sounds great. Cannot wait :)

Yes, a kind of re-clocking is part of it. We will be using a different isolation solution. The clocks will be on the isolated side, so the jitter on the I2S output will be just the clock jitter. If you replace the clocks with better clocks, you can go under 1 ps jitter. You will be able to upgrade the power supply for the clocks, and see if this makes a difference.

The board will have space for two sets of clocks, and jumpers to power only the clocks in use. Instead of the jumpers you will be able to use external relays.

It depends how many people are interested. We've seen a big push for high sampling rates, and then we've been criticized that there is no content available. We can do it.

I'd just like to see an end to the perpetual upgrades.

DSD256 should be the highest DSD sampling rate needed since the quanitzation noise is out of the audio band. Same with PCM sample rates. Really no need to go beyond DXD/384.

@exa065

its nice looking into future developments, but what does this mean to the development of the OSX drivers for the current version which were suppost to be released ? How long are they delayed, forever ?

would like to see a working device soon

The OS X driver for exaU2I was released just over one year ago. See this link:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/exad...hronous-usb-i2s-interface-81.html#post2745832

Can you define what is not "working" about the exaU2I for you? We are trying to make the next generation device better.

Regards,

exa065