• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

It would be nice if you had a mixer panel with a feature that lets you speed up or slow down the audio so you had perfect lip-sync. I know some of the player apps have this feature, but not all of them do. If you use Windows Media Center for watching DVDs and Blu-rays, you can't make these adjustments.

this need to be done in the media players since it will playback audio before video..

The best is to have less latency in the chain..
I think i'm gonna go with Lynx AES16... low latency and jitter.. not async
and a dac with good jitter handling like ES9018.

Last edited:
good i think RME soso SQ is because of the dacs they use and not the usb to dac implementation.. they offer also bitperfect playback but i guess when enable it bypass the internal dsp mixer..

as for processing power, i guess the only way would be to compare them side by side on the same machine.

Your product seem interesting.. im trying to find a way to have a low latency active system (FIR crossover and DRC) with audiophile SQ(dac, usb to i2s) without have to buy the Deqx HDP-4

it's a mess.. it's seems there is no low cost alternative.. sad
In your case the latency is an issue during the recording of the impulse response. Since you have RME, you can use it during the recording stage. Once you have the filter files, the latency won't matter. You just get a delay from the moment the audio stream leaves the player to the moment it hits the DAC. Thus has nothing to do with group relays in the room or in the speakers. Convolution is one way process and it actually can be done offline.

It would be nice if you had a mixer panel with a feature that lets you speed up or slow down the audio so you had perfect lip-sync. I know some of the player apps have this feature, but not all of them do. If you use Windows Media Center for watching DVDs and Blu-rays, you can't make these adjustments.

I agree, it is about time to do that.

Once again, the issue is not latency itself, the issue is the lack of recording ability on the same clock.

People do successful room correction with Slim Devices Squeezbox. How much is the latency over WiFi?

We don't mess with the phase, please be careful with what you are saying. We have customers that have achieved a successful room correction with J River convolver and also with Reaper.

Last edited:
I just finished hooking a exaU2I to a Buffalo III. I am using JRiver as my server on a dedicated machine. The build was easy, the directions where spot on and the driver installed in seconds.
I am still trying to decide what I think of the sound. The combo has a scary amount of detail with no one part of the spectrum dominating the whole. It just seems to lack some of the emotional involvement of my Rega Saturn / BIII setup. I am wondering if the exaI2U takes time to break in like analog components. (those who do not believe in such things need not reply):)
Also, what do people think about using higher cost USB cables? Right now I am just using a generic cable.

John

The problem might be in the way a computer read audio cds...
Maybe a better computer cd-rom player made for audio..

Or I guess the emotional part comes from rega saturn internal components coloring the sound..

since your saying it was the BIII with saturn vs exa2UI with BIII, the dac should not be the cause..

since your not using all the EXA2UI 8 channel.. is there a reason to use this?
would you not be better with a XMOS usb2 2ch reference board.
Keep us informed on your testing.. did you verify the BIII i2s input voltage requirements etc..

you could always try audio-GD DSP-3 with i2s with BIII and compare the 2 usb-to i2s implementation

I just finished hooking a exaU2I to a Buffalo III. ...The combo has a scary amount of detail with no one part of the spectrum dominating the whole. It just seems to lack some of the emotional involvement of my Rega Saturn / BIII setup. I am wondering if the exaI2U takes time to break in like analog components.

Also, what do people think about using higher cost USB cables? Right now I am just using a generic cable.

John

I know on my Mytek DACs, they benefit greatly from 100-200 hours of break-in. They get warmer and smoother. I send them a looped playlist and let it run for a week. The Mytek stereo192 uses the same DAC chip. There is an impossibly long thread on computeraudiophile.com on that unit and most users have repeated this finding (initially being a little disappointed in the 1st sound and then falling in love, its uncanny). However, since the BIII is not new, I think you are speaking of the exa card. I cant speak to that.

As to USB cable: there are many threads on that also at CA. The discussion runs the gambit. Personally with cables, I go to the high end of the low end ;-) Blue Jean Cables for most, but not USB/FW. Audioquest seems about right for me for USB. Below is a thread I started on this topic and got some reasonable recommendations...

Base Cables for Initial Setup | Computer Audiophile

I just finished hooking a exaU2I to a Buffalo III. I am using JRiver as my server on a dedicated machine. The build was easy, the directions where spot on and the driver installed in seconds.
I am still trying to decide what I think of the sound. The combo has a scary amount of detail with no one part of the spectrum dominating the whole. It just seems to lack some of the emotional involvement of my Rega Saturn / BIII setup. I am wondering if the exaI2U takes time to break in like analog components. (those who do not believe in such things need not reply):)

John

Hi John,

exaU2I is a very transparent device. There is no coloration, no makeup. The good recordings benefit from that. On the flip side you may be disappointed to discover that some disks are kind of ... lacking something. Have you tried any high-resolution downloads?

I haven't noticed any benefit from braking in the device. But definitely your brain needs some time to appreciate the new sound. After a week or so, try again your old setup and do some A-B testing.

-Best,

George

I have a few more hours of listening with the exaU2I / BIII combo. I will say this, it is absolutely ruthless. But not in the bleeding ears way that I normally think of when I hear that something is accurate and not colored. It is not bright or etched in any way. Its just all there with no added romance.

I am starting to think that everything else I have listened to highlighted and / or depressed some parts of the sound. With the U2I it is all there. I still hear a highlighted passage from before, it is just part of the mix now. The exa really shows how badly done reverb can ruin a recording. The exa has changed my thinking on the amount of data available with the CD format. Vocals are amazing, with detail and emotion like I have never heard before. It will be interesting to see what I think of this thing in three months. I run the BIII into a ARC Ref 5, ARC VS115 to Quad 988's. I use Kimber Silver wire for interconnects and Kimber monocle XL's. So the system is on the accurate, revealing side as well.

exaU2U sounds much better than RME. When you optimize for one thing, you loose the other. Our ASIO driver is also very efficient, I can listen to 384 kHz on an Atom net-book.

DSP and bit-perfect are two incompatible consents. with exaU2I we offer bit-perfect.

The implication from what you say is that RME cards are not bit-perfect. Surely this is not the case?

The implication from what you say is that RME cards are not bit-perfect. Surely this is not the case?

In the context of the conversation RME was presented in a usage scenario with DSP processing. When DSP is applied, the result is not bit-perfect. Perhaps RME has a bit perfect mode. I wouldn't discuss it here. In general, when you consider a sound interface you need to take into account the following factors:

• Bit perfect operation - this is influenced by the hardware, the interface, the drivers and the ability of the drivers to set the operating system in bit-perfect mode. In addition the player must support bit-perfect mode.
  • Jitter-free interface with the DAC. The DAC cannot be jitter-free, but the interface can.
  • Low noise operation - this requires filters, so external devices have an advantage here. Galvanic isolation will provide the ultimate noise suppression.
  • High-quality D/A conversion.
According to our customers exaU2I sounds better than RME. I haven't verified this claim. My explanation is that the combination of the listed factors makes exaU2I more successful for audiophile applications.

-Best,

George

Whilst I agree with you regarding the important factors for sound-quality, I can assure you when set to do so my RME Multiface DSPe will output bit-perfect. If not RME would never have obtained acceptance from mastering and post production studios, in which they are widely used.

You are correct that the demands for audiophile playback and audio production place very different restraints on design and implication, however bit-perfect is a relatively simple matter in both instances. I have come across $20 interfaces that manage it fine.

Last edited:
Whilst I agree with you regarding the important factors for sound-quality, I can assure you when set to do so my RME Multiface DSPe will output bit-perfect. If not RME would never have obtained acceptance from mastering and post production studios, in which they are widely used.

You are correct that the demands for audiophile playback and audio production place very different restraints on design and implication, however bit-perfect is a relatively simple matter in both instances. I have come across $20 interfaces that manage it fine.

This is not a wishlist, it is the list of features for exaU2I. It is what we offer.
I guess you don't understand the issues around bit-perfect. It was discussed in previous posts in this thread, you can browse back and read it.