• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Exa065

Thanks for the quick answer/comment.
As an answer too, to an another comment about my clock subject, I have to repeat that I have not heard yet the sounds of the system including Exa board. But I will do soon...
I understand the Exas explanation and I agree to that point of view. My pointing on this subject is not an asking for hardware changing to the present board, but more as an discussion. As I said before, my "ppm observation" is based on my own experience, when changing of the original stock clock oscillator on an sound card with a better one (stated as be 0,3 ppm), was by it self a very big improvement in sound quality. The explanation of this improvement was only the highest precision of that new clock.
Many peoples think that finding on Ebay good components could be a joke. Sometimes it happens... After a Google search, I found it this (there is many frequencies offered):
Vanguard Ultra precision Golden TCXO, 0.3ppm 11.2896MHz | eBay UK

Maybe what is print it (0,3ppm) on this oscillator is not exactly as it is. I did not measured my self. But the very good result after using this clock was enough for my conclusion.
Anyway, I will feedback based on experiments with better ppm clocks on Exa board. I just bough an oven controlled oscillator (50 ppb) which I intend to use it on Buffalo (when I will get one...).
Anyway, I appreciate very much that ExaDevices developing strategy is to use the collective experience to make things better (or best...).

About that LED indicators is not so important. It was more as an observation. I got your explanation on this. Most important is that it works...

Thanks and keep the good work! The "collective experience" will be beside you...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
DSD128 files

Hi George

The Korg Audiogate software can generate a DSD128 files from a DSD64 or wav file

You can download from - KORG - Learning Center.
Audiogate is free but you need a Twitter acount

But the way, the es9018 Dac will accept up to DSD512 (with a 80+ MHz clock), so for the fun of it, you should add support for all DSD formats between DSD64 and DSD512.

Flemming

Joined 2009
Paid Member
the firsts experments....

As I said before, I have no DAC at the moment to connect ExaU2I to. But I connected it to USB... I previous installed the dedicated ASIO driver. Exa is recognized.
I have already installed Audio Gate from Korg. This work well to convert and play DSD files (converted in real time to PCM). Exa ASIO driver have been listed in the option of Audio Gate. So, I just used it with the Exa connected, and YES! They work well together. FIFO is ON and I have sample rate 192khz ON too.
The Audio Gate player shows that is about an DSDIIF file, 2 ch, 1 bit, sample rate 5,6Mhz. And seems to work well... I mean nothing crashes...
The only problem is that I can see accordingly to the file sample rate, all the corresponding LEDs on, up to 192Khz... I know that AudioGate can play upper sample rate than 192, but not any sample rate upper than 192 Khz I can see in his options... And the player is sett now on ExaASIO out...I`ve recorded something and sampled the file at 384Khz with Reapear. I`ve played that file, and I still have only the 192 Khz LED on.
I`ve used Foobar to play different files for make the 352Khz LED to light up, or none LED for 384Khz. No chance!
What I`m doing wrong? Or how to do to see that 352Khz LED lighting up?

Hi George

The Korg Audiogate software can generate a DSD128 files from a DSD64 or wav file

But the way, the es9018 Dac will accept up to DSD512 (with a 80+ MHz clock), so for the fun of it, you should add support for all DSD formats between DSD64 and DSD512.

Flemming

Thanks, I created successfully DSD64 and DSD128 stereo files with Korg Audiogate. They work fine with the exa DSD Player and exaU2I. I am still having clicking sound issues at playback start with files downloaded from 2L.

I am still having clicking sound issues at playback start with files downloaded from 2L.
Which DAC chip are you using for playing DSD? Buffalo II with ES9018?
The default register setting of Buffalo II might be "SPDIF_AUTODETECT Enabled". (There is no explicit selection method of DSD on ES9018.)
The SPDIF_AUTODETECT would sometimes cause a mis-detect of DSD as SPDIF.
If you set the "SPDIF_AUTODETECT Disabled", you may solve the clicking sound issue.

Which DAC chip are you using for playing DSD? Buffalo II with ES9018?
The default register setting of Buffalo II might be "SPDIF_AUTODETECT Enabled". (There is no explicit selection method of DSD on ES9018.)
The SPDIF_AUTODETECT would sometimes cause a mis-detect of DSD as SPDIF.
If you set the "SPDIF_AUTODETECT Disabled", you may solve the clicking sound issue.

Thank you, Bunpei.
I am having a software problem. I am not reading properly the file header. Some files are decoded without click and some play fine. Once I get the header decoding class right I will experiment with the SPDIF_AUTODETECT setting.

exa065

Oscillator(s) on ExaUSB board

May I ask you oscillator device(s) employed for generating MCLK signal on ExaUSB board? (I failed to find the information on your web site.)

Do you have two oscillator devices for both fs=44.1 kHz series and fs=48 kHz series? What is the maximum frequency of MCLK?

I'd like to recommend you try a synchronous clocking for ES9018 chip by providing MCLK generated on your board to the chip.

May I ask you oscillator device(s) employed for generating MCLK signal on ExaUSB board? (I failed to find the information on your web site.)

Do you have two oscillator devices for both fs=44.1 kHz series and fs=48 kHz series? What is the maximum frequency of MCLK?

I'd like to recommend you try a synchronous clocking for ES9018 chip by providing MCLK generated on your board to the chip.

Hello Bunpei,

Yes, we do have two oscillator devices for both fs=44.1 kHz series and fs=48 kHz series. However we state in the DIY Guide that SCK should be left unconnected when used with ES9018 kits. SCK is intended to be used with other DACs with sources up to 192 kHz.

Thank you for the recommendation, we will test synchronous clocking. If it is required by our users we will implement it in future releases of the device.

Hi George

Flemming

Hi Flemming,
Do you know any sources for DSD256 and DSD512 files. I am also looking for multi-channel DSDDFF samples.
-Best,

exa065

Joined 2009
Paid Member
DSD256 and DSD512 files and multi channel DFF files

Hi George

I do not have a source for DSD256 or DSD512 files so I will suggest that you create them from wav files

1) Start with a 176.4kHz wav file : Use Audiogate to resample a 44.1kHz file if needed.
2) In the Wav header change sample frequency and byte rate to 44.1kHz for DSD512 and 88.2kHz for DSD256
3) Use Audiogate to convert to DSD128.
4) In the dff files change the sampling frequency

You can also start with a DXD/352.8kHz file.

Wav format ex https://ccrma.stanford.edu/courses/422/projects/WaveFormat/

There is one short free multi channel DFF sample here Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: sample.7z
It is from DSDIFF Decoder - Hydrogenaudio Forums, post 29
NB It is only the newest version of the foobar2000 dsd plugin that maps the channels correct.

I once downloaded 2L50SACD_tr1_DSD_multi.dff from 2L, but it is not on the web site any more.
You can see the header here : PS3SACD.com :: View topic - Home made DSD disc

I have ripped some of my discs so I have samples, but I only have a 4.0 system, so I will have to find a way to mix C and LFE into L/R channels

Flemming

Several weeks ago flemming3520 made an exciting announcement: exaU2I is able to play DSD DFF files! Based on Flemming's idea we created the loTech DFF Player - an experimental application for playing DFF files with exaU2I. More information about the player and its capabilities can be found on the exaDevices Blog Please give it a try and post about your experience on this thread.

exa065

When I'm switching from one samplerat/bitrate to another (without pressing stop) in J.River I get an error message. I don't have this problem with other Asio sources. Not a big issue since it's solved by pressing stop and then play, but still something I would like to see fixed.

I'm almost interesting in hearing more about the cause of hiccups with the standard firmware in Buffalo II. If it's related to high jitter level or not. I haven't bought the new firmware yet and is hesitant because TPA is saying it will increase the tolerance for phase noise/jitter.

(...)
Yes, we do have two oscillator devices for both fs=44.1 kHz series and fs=48 kHz series. However we state in the DIY Guide that SCK should be left unconnected when used with ES9018 kits. SCK is intended to be used with other DACs with sources up to 192 kHz.
(...)

Is there two crystals for that purpose in exaU21? Or is there a clock devider/multiplier?

Suppose I want to use the same crystal clock that is driving ES9018 (assume 100 mHz) to also drive the exaU21. Is that possible?

Is has something to do with LCM (44.1 kHz; 48 kHz) = 7.056 mHz?