exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 97 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2012, 11:23 PM   #961
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
I hope USB High-speed is isolated in the new design by embedding such a technology.
Core Modules, Daughter Boards, Core Development Kits for USB Extension - Icron Technologies
Why? This would seem to add unnecessary expense to the product.

Perhaps I am biased, since I made a feature request that the new hardware be based on a single PCB without a daughter board. Single-board reduces the number of connections, which are a point of failure. Single-board also alleviates the need to buy a retail product as a manufacturing component of another retail product - it's much cheaper to just buy the individual electronics and place them directly on the main board compared to buying a sub-assembly that is separately manufactured.

I also have my doubts that the iCron board can be programmed with custom firmware as easily as a proprietary design from exaDevices.
Old 5th January 2012, 01:22 PM   #962
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
Why?
IMO, products of exaDevices have marked breakthroughs in their performances; 386kHz/32bit 8 channels, DSD512 play, etc. That's the reason why people are interested in them. Isolation of High speed USB in an audio application domain is not achieved yet. This is a challenging thing to do.

From the point of view of one of audiophiles who always pursue the best sound quality, I hate to have my audio master clock oscillators share a ground ( a source of electron flow ) with a noise contaminated PC.

However, from the point of view of audio device selling business, your thought is reasonable, of course.

Bunpei
Old 5th January 2012, 03:35 PM   #963
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Isolation of High speed USB in an audio application domain is not achieved yet. This is a challenging thing to do.

From the point of view of one of audiophiles who always pursue the best sound quality, I hate to have my audio master clock oscillators share a ground ( a source of electron flow ) with a noise contaminated PC.

Bunpei
@Bunpei
I am playing (have been doing that for a good period of time already) with isolation of USB (480MB/s) with both exaU2I and other USB implementations.
This is the greatest upgrade you can implement with PC / Mac USB based systems.
I have isolated USB connections with copper wire, silver wire and pure gold wire.
Isolated USB with pure gold wire insulated with pure silk are by far the best sounding.
These observations are based on my setup where the internal cables in the DAC are pure gold with air as isolation, the interconnects to the power amplifier are pure gold with pure silk isolation, the PCB´s are gold plated in the whole system, the speaker cables are a combination of pure silver and pure gold - isolated with pure silk.
Power amplifiers are pure JFET, speakers are pure AMT fullrange.

And my Mac OSX player system have no fans, SSD HDDs, custom PSU with JFET regulation and more capacitance
than most power amplifiers, and runs from a 12 volt battery source.
Old 5th January 2012, 03:41 PM   #964
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
@Bunpei
I am playing (have been doing that for a good period of time already) with isolation of USB (480MB/s) with both exaU2I and other USB implementations.
This is the greatest upgrade you can implement with PC / Mac USB based systems.
I have isolated USB connections with copper wire, silver wire and pure gold wire.
Isolated USB with pure gold wire insulated with pure silk are by far th best sounding.
These observations are based on my setup where the internal cables in the DAC are pure gold with air as isolation, the interconnects to the power amplifier are pure gold with pure silk isolation, the PCB´s are gold plated in the whole system, the speaker cables are a combination of pure silver and pure gold - isolated with pure silk.
Power amplifiers are pure JFET, speakers are pure AMT fullrange.

And my Mac OSX player system have no fans, SSD HDDs, custom PSU with JFET regulation and more capacitance
than most power amplifiers, and runs from a 12 volt battery source.
Hi RayCtech,

So I guess you're kinda "purist" person...

As much as I respect your approach and would love a setup like yours, most of us cannot afford the type of cables you're using... Pure gold with silk, how much per foot?

Ciao!
Do
Old 5th January 2012, 03:52 PM   #965
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Hi RayCtech,

So I guess you're kinda "purist" person...

As much as I respect your approach and would love a setup like yours, most of us cannot afford the type of cables you're using... Pure gold with silk, how much per foot?

Ciao!
Do
I hope exa065 will tolerate this OT postings

The largest contribution to cost is the odd 40 hours of work pr. meter of cable (silk insulations) as they are 100% very perfectly made by hand...
Old 5th January 2012, 07:59 PM   #966
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
I hope exa065 will tolerate this OT postings

The largest contribution to cost is the odd 40 hours of work pr. meter of cable (silk insulations) as they are 100% very perfectly made by hand...
Hi guys,

As you know I wear two hats - I am a DIYer by destiny and I produce products for profit. It is fine to post here for the benefit of both causes. Just manage your conflicts of interest as I manage mine.

I enjoy tremendously XXL volume controls with ball bearings and gold and silk wires. I don't believe in supernatural cables, but handmade gold and silk cable - this is a work of art, it is like a 13th century katana with a silk handle...it is a weapon for sound supremacy.

I wonder, how come it is an honourable occupation to search for the illusive sound in all areas of R&D, except proprietary sound drivers. Double standards....
Old 5th January 2012, 08:19 PM   #967
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Hi guys,

I enjoy tremendously XXL volume controls with ball bearings and gold and silk wires. I don't believe in supernatural cables, but handmade gold and silk cable - this is a work of art, it is like a 13th century katana with a silk handle...it is a weapon for sound supremacy.
You should try to use your ears for once !
Old 5th January 2012, 11:24 PM   #968
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
I would like to see:

1. Very low phase noise oscillators, like Crystek CCHD series-reason being that I prefer to synchronously clock my DAC, providing masterclock from the USB interface, so phase noise/jitter in the I2S output is critical.

2. Ultra low noise/impedance local shunt regulators, one for each onboard oscillator to allow the oscillators to perfrom their best, and not back modulate the power supplies.

3. Users choice to use the GMRs or not, with separate output headers, and I would prefer micro bnc (for U.FL) for the non-isolated I2S output.

4. Option to send masterclock back to the exa from the DAC over I2S.

5. Oh yeah, prefer two channel only here.
Thank you, barrows. Your suggestions are on the task list.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:34 PM   #969
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javin5 View Post
Here is my input of what I would like to see in a revised design:

- Ability to support synchronous operation of the Buffalo DAC. The exa-device has two oscillators. It should therefore be the clock source when operating the Buffalo-DAC in synchronous mode with its ASRC disabled, since it can generate both multiples of 44.1 and 48 Khz. This means that the oscillator on the Buffalo needs to be removed.

- Because of the above, a galvanic connection is needed for this clock. The galvanic isolation should therefore be moved to the USB-side.

Since the synchronous option appears to elevate the sound quality yet another notch (RayCtech, Bunpei), such an implementation would be very desitrable. I also support the suggestion by other posters to incorporate high quality regulators, if this increases the sound quality.
Hi Javin5,

We will use top quality clocks and we will make the clocks and the clock power sources replaceable. Synchronous operation is also on the task list.

-Best,

exa065
Old 6th January 2012, 03:14 PM   #970
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Hi Javin5,

We will use top quality clocks and we will make the clocks and the clock power sources replaceable. Synchronous operation is also on the task list.

-Best,

exa065
This it sounds very well!

Hide this!Advertise here!