exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2011, 06:52 PM   #941
diyAudio Member

Forgive me if this has been answered, I'm sure it has, is this device EXAU2l coupled with the buffalo ii and or iii capable of stable dsd playback using A Mac with X/Lion and pure music software? Also, if using boot camp with windows 7 will it operate with the same as if it were om a PC? I'm am not very knowledgable when it comes to these sorts of things.

Thank You
Old 1st January 2012, 01:21 PM   #942
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdman View Post
Forgive me if this has been answered, I'm sure it has, is this device EXAU2l coupled with the buffalo ii and or iii capable of stable dsd playback using A Mac with X/Lion and pure music software? Also, if using boot camp with windows 7 will it operate with the same as if it were om a PC? I'm am not very knowledgable when it comes to these sorts of things.

Thank You
Sorry, at this time DSD works only on Windows with our proprietary DSD player.
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:13 AM   #943
diyAudio Member

Default exaU2I 32/384 USB -> I2S - Version 2

Gentlemen,

It's been almost a year since the release of exaU2I 32bit/384 kHz async USB interface. exaU2I was designed in a very minimalistic way, using ordinary clocks and USB power. We utilized "jitter-causing" GMR insulators. Yet some called the exa's sound "in a league of its own". Many hated it because it challenged the status quo. The ones that were brave to try the exaU2I love it. We enjoy great support from our users.

It is time to bring the device to the next level. We are considering making a next generation USB to I2S Interface. Tell us what you want it to be. We are considering 2 vs. 8 channels, price over performance, to GMR or not to GMR. Let us know what is important to you.

Happy New Year,

exa065 and the exaSound Team

Last edited by exa065; 3rd January 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 3rd January 2012, 04:08 AM   #944
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
It is time to bring the device to the next level. We are considering making a next generation USB to I2S Interface. Tell us what you want it to be. We are considering 2 vs. 8 channels, price over performance, to GMR or not to GMR. Let us know what is important to you.
The exaU2I has always been a fascinating product. Here is what I would like to see next:

Must Have:
A) USB Audio Class compliant, i.e., Isochronous endpoints operating in Asynchronous rate feedback mode
B) Ability to take Master Clock and/or Word Clock from the DAC board

Nice to Have:
C) On-board DSP (TMS320, SHARC, etc.) with downloadable firmware or plugins
D) Single circuit board (no daughter boards)
E) FireWire 800 or 400 interface (I realize this is not likely to happen)

Last edited by rsdio; 3rd January 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:03 AM   #945
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Gentlemen,

Happy New Year,

exa065 and the exaSound Team
Happy New Year exa065!

I believe you have received most of the inputs you need during the period of time that have already passed.

As I now have both ready the guest room and a audio setup in La Casa Muda so why dont you simply drop in for a visit so we can discuss this over a superb dinner
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:50 PM   #946
greggp is offline greggp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to greggp
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
The exaU2I has always been a fascinating product. Here is what I would like to see next:

Must Have:
A) USB Audio Class compliant, i.e., Isochronous endpoints operating in Asynchronous rate feedback mode
agree!!!

Having Firewire support would be nice, but then again, you'd need another set of proprietary drivers.
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:54 PM   #947
greggp is offline greggp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to greggp
Quote:
Considering 2 vs. 8 channel?? How about both. Make two 2nd generation interfaces, one optimized for 2 channel, the other for 8.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a single solution with the ability to switch between stereo and multichannel modes, but that would probably need to be accomplished on the DAC board, not the interface.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:34 PM   #948
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggp View Post
Having Firewire support would be nice, but then again, you'd need another set of proprietary drivers.
There are FireWire audio interfaces which work without installing any driver at all. Of course, this is on Mac OS X where Apple has implemented the standards. Windows previously had poor support for FireWire, and although people tell me that the support is better, I'm still not sure whether that means these same driver-less FireWire audio interfaces would also work on Windows without drivers.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:52 PM   #949
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
Happy New Year exa065!

I believe you have received most of the inputs you need during the period of time that have already passed.

As I now have both ready the guest room and a audio setup in La Casa Muda so why dont you simply drop in for a visit so we can discuss this over a superb dinner
Thank you for the invitation, RayCtech. I look forward to listening to your very custom system. To make the visit more exciting, I will put together a prototype. Give me some time to get ready.

exa065
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:37 PM   #950
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post

Must Have:

Nice to Have:
C) On-board DSP (TMS320, SHARC, etc.) with downloadable firmware or plugins
D) Single circuit board (no daughter boards)
E) FireWire 800 or 400 interface (I realize this is not likely to happen)
Hi rsdio, I think that you've mentioned before that you are working on a FireWire / DSP device so I am sure that you know these technologies and their advantages.

We will be more interested to take again the road less travelled. Our proprietary driver technology is a major contributor to the realistic and detailed sound of exaU2I. We will continue to improve it for the next release.

USB Audio Class compliance is a major convenience for the end users, there is no need for driver installation. We wouldn't trade our unique advantages in sound quality for convenience.

FireWire is a great established technology. Again, our position is that changing the pipeline will not contribute to sound quality. If we decide to change it for the sake of convenience, we would go for something more exciting, like wireless Ethernet.

Our aim is to create an interface that is as bitperfect , noiseless, and jitter-free as possible. DSP is out of scope for us. It is a feature for a different device.

Your other suggestions - single PCB and external clock capability are noted on the requests list.

I hope I haven't disappointed you too much, we are looking in different directions. There is more than one way to do things right. Thank you again for your professional contribution to the ongoing exaU2I discussion.

Hide this!Advertise here!