Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2011, 08:23 AM   #861
diyAudio Member

Greetings,

I have been perusing this thread for quite some time now. Exa seems to have an excellent product to enhance our DIY dac projects. I for one was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the +$400 product they offer. Unfortunately, their unethical behaviour in our community has haunted me and I've decided not to buy the product.

Compared to the TPA commercial prodcuts where they publish most of their product's schematics, I have yet to see the details of the exa prodcuts so we can DIY ourselves. I have never even seen any BOM nor schematic, not even a partial one. This is why I have been looking into alternatives such as audio-widgets and others. (If other members can enumerate alternatives, it would be appreciative to the community)

As I said, exa has a great product but their ethics for DIY community is questionable. It is obvious they are here for $$$$ gain. Unless they open up a thread in the commercial section, I will unfortunately continue to boycott their product.

regards.
Old 26th October 2011, 11:38 AM   #862
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

If this was a product for DIY we would have 16 bit 44.1 separate L&R channels for the most DIY'd DAC in the world, the : TDA1541, I don't see this simple request ever being incorporated just the 32 bit LSB mismash, oversampled! LR data. No thanks. This is aimed squarely at the active driver/hometheater crowd and the few newbies smitten over S_D PCB's. Its like if Slim Devices started a thread here at DIYAudio when they developed the squeezebox.
Old 26th October 2011, 12:11 PM   #863
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
As I clearly recall you may have serious memory issues,
Ray - I was referring to the posts by exa promoting his product or regarding exa's prouct posted by others. I was not talking about your posts. I have deleted many of your posts because I did not like the tone. If you post something friendly and truly useful on our forum I am sure I would let it stand as long as you keep the proper respect. I have nothing against you personally.

I have few core rules that if violated result in deleted posts:

1) Be respectful and not abrasive.
2) Remember where you are posting and follow the DIYAudio core forum rules.
3) Don't post support questions on module threads. This is mostly because they just tend to get lost this way. We have a support forum for that.

In the end, if I think it does not add value to the discussion I reserve the right to moderate it out of the discussion.

I wish both you and exa well.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 26th October 2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 26th October 2011, 12:53 PM   #864
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
If this was a product for DIY we would have 16 bit 44.1 separate L&R channels for the most DIY'd DAC in the world, the : TDA1541, I don't see this simple request ever being incorporated just the 32 bit LSB mismash, oversampled! LR data. No thanks. This is aimed squarely at the active driver/hometheater crowd and the few newbies smitten over S_D PCB's. Its like if Slim Devices started a thread here at DIYAudio when they developed the squeezebox.
Regal,
The world has changed. Multichannel is not synonymous anymore with home theater and movies surround. There are fine audiophile grade multichannel recordings out there. Once you listen to proper multichannel sound stage, there is no going back. Very few people continue to deny that 44.1/16 bit is a very constraining format. We've been there, done that. It is time for something better.

Setting up a room for multichannel listening is difficult. You will need at least four speakers capable of delivering full frequency spectrum and dynamic range at low distortion. You will need to organize the room around the speakers. You may want to make them equidistant to the listening spot to avoid DSP processing. Of course you need a bit-perfect low-jitter interface and this is what exaU2I is designed for.

http://www.2l.no/albumart_full/2L060_box.jpg

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2L60_stage_layout.pdf (121.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 26th October 2011, 01:01 PM   #865
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necplusultra View Post
Greetings,

I have been perusing this thread for quite some time now. Exa seems to have an excellent product to enhance our DIY dac projects. I for one was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the +$400 product they offer. Unfortunately, their unethical behaviour in our community has haunted me and I've decided not to buy the product.

Compared to the TPA commercial prodcuts where they publish most of their product's schematics, I have yet to see the details of the exa prodcuts so we can DIY ourselves. I have never even seen any BOM nor schematic, not even a partial one. This is why I have been looking into alternatives such as audio-widgets and others. (If other members can enumerate alternatives, it would be appreciative to the community)

As I said, exa has a great product but their ethics for DIY community is questionable. It is obvious they are here for $$$$ gain. Unless they open up a thread in the commercial section, I will unfortunately continue to boycott their product.

regards.
Do you expect to be given the VHDL code for the FPGA as well ??

The dude is doing you a favour by pre-assembling the surface mount and fine pitch components on a properly designed PCB !!

regards
Trev
Old 26th October 2011, 02:53 PM   #866
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
Seems like nothing would be lost if exa065 were to start a new thread in the commercial forum with a title referencing the exaU2I. I have no idea what it takes to start a commercial thread - are there requirements of some sort stopping anyone from doing this?

If there are no barriers, then the discussion of the exaU2I should continue there. Considering the cobwebs growing on this thread and the number of times it has been sidetracked, I actually think that a new thread would be preferred. Any stragglers who continue to follow this thread could be guided to the new thread via posted links. Not only that, but placement on the commercial forum could actually boost exaU2I sales again.

Everyone's happy!
Yes, it is about time for a new arrangement. I am considering several options.
Old 29th October 2011, 01:06 AM   #867
diyAudio Member

I think it is good that someone is doing something different other than the same old run of the mill chinese ebay DAC specials which seem to consume pages and pages of threads on this forum !! Nobody complains about the free plug that they get on those things but here we have a dude who has put together something which obviously has had a lot more effort put into it than the usual run of the mill DAC and then he gets bagged for talking about it

I don't think DIY audio or even audio is going to move ahead if people shun original thinkers
Old 29th October 2011, 01:42 AM   #868
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor White View Post
here we have a dude who has put together something which obviously has had a lot more effort put into it than the usual run of the mill DAC
Indeed, and that's laudable. +1 exa065

Quote:
and then he gets bagged for talking about it
Nope, he gets bagged for flogging it while keeping it on the non-commercial threads. Soundcheck is right, its overdue for a move.

Quote:
I don't think DIY audio or even audio is going to move ahead if people shun original thinkers
Indeed not, moving the thread is by no means shunning it.
Old 29th October 2011, 02:22 AM   #869
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Indeed, and that's laudable. +1 exa065

Nope, he gets bagged for flogging it while keeping it on the non-commercial threads. Soundcheck is right, its overdue for a move.

Indeed not, moving the thread is by no means shunning it.
IMO he's providing technical support more than flogging it which is more than I can I say about the numerous threads on the ebay chinese dac specials which get a leg up without providing any support whatsoever !! I think there is an inequity here.

regards
Trev
Old 29th October 2011, 02:31 AM   #870
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Fortunately the rules of the forum aren't based on anyone's opinion, they're set out clearly.

Hide this!Advertise here!