exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 84 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2011, 12:39 AM   #831
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOON3876 View Post
If someone want to make something like exaU2I..
DLP-HS-FPGA2 DLP DESIGN USB

it has FT2232H + Xilinx XC3S400A + RAM + Dip50 pins.
FT2232H has Windows/Linux/Mac driver.

There is FIFO to I2S x 4 VHDL

I think exaU2I is nice product, cheap enough
If you're going to make something 'like' the exaU2I, then why not just buy the exaU2I? As far as I can tell, the designs you suggest have exactly the same limitations as the exaU2I, so why bother building the same thing by hand?

As was suggested earlier, start your own thread if you want to talk about something other than the exaU2I. There are also other existing topics that are generic that you can reply to.
Old 17th October 2011, 01:31 AM   #832
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOON3876 View Post
just FYI,

If someone want to make something like exaU2I..
DLP-HS-FPGA2
DLP DESIGN USB

it has FT2232H + Xilinx XC3S400A + RAM + Dip50 pins.
FT2232H has Windows/Linux/Mac driver.

There is FIFO to I2S x 4 VHDL here.
https://sites.google.com/site/koonau...ti-channel-i2s

I think exaU2I is nice product, cheap enough
Do please start a thread. I think many may find it educational to develop something for themselves.
Old 17th October 2011, 02:46 AM   #833
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Do please start a thread. I think many may find it educational to develop something for themselves.
Hi Russ, Since we have you here and the topic is exaU2I alternatives, I would like to ask about the progress with your USB to I2S project. Are you still pushing the XMOS design after considering the new VIA chips?

I did a number demos in several countries this summer. On several occasions experienced audiophiles congratulated me for achieving better sound in subjective tests compared to various XMOS solutions. I believe that this success is the result of using superior concept, superior drivers and specialized hardware.

There are other benefits of the proprietary solution. Is there another device under $1000 that can deliver asynchronous-jitter-free-galvanic-isolated-32bit-384kHz-8-Channels-PCM+DSD performance?

Regards,

exa065

Last edited by exa065; 17th October 2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 17th October 2011, 03:08 AM   #834
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Hi Russ, Since we have you here and the topic is exaU2I alternatives, I would like to ask about the progress with your USB to I2S project. Are you still pushing the XMOS design after considering the new VIA chips?

I did a number demos in several countries this summer. On several occasions experienced audiophiles congratulated me for achieving better sound in subjective tests compared to various XMOS solutions. I believe that this success is the result of using superior concept, superior drivers and specialized hardware.

There are other benefits of the proprietary solution. Is there another device under $1000 that can deliver asynchronous-jitter-free-galvanic-isolated-32bit-384kHz-8-Channels-PCM+DSD performance?

Regards,

exa065
I am only seeking to learn something myself.

To what end do you ask your questions? Aren't you happy with what you have? Are you thinking you might do better?

I like to keep an open mind. I am quite happy with XMOS so far. There is nothing there that brings me any concern that it cannot achieve excellence. Though honestly I am not convinced theirs is the only suitable approach, nor even the best. VIA's chip is very well done but I am not sure it is something I will pursue - for many reasons.

I am glad you are enjoying your congratulations, but that means nothing to me. I only care about music and learning something.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 17th October 2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 17th October 2011, 03:14 AM   #835
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Clash of the Titans!
Old 17th October 2011, 03:15 AM   #836
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Clash of the Titans!
No need for that. After all this is not a commercial thread so there should be no commercial interest involved. Personally I am just looking to learn more about the DSP etc.
Old 17th October 2011, 03:17 AM   #837
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No need for that. After all this is not a commercial thread so there should be no commercial interest involved.
I know Russ, I was just kidding!

Knowledge is power and it is always good to learn more!

Ciao!
Do
Old 17th October 2011, 03:18 AM   #838
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
I know Russ, I was just kidding!

Knowledge is power and it is always good to learn more!

Ciao!
Do
I know you are. I was just making the broader point. Cheers!
Old 17th October 2011, 03:18 AM   #839
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default TPA USB to I2S Solution

Quote:
I am only seeking to learn something myself.

To what end do you ask your questions? Aren't you happy with what you have? Are you thinking you might do better?

I like to keep an open mind I am quite happy with XMOS so far. There is nothing there that brings me any concern that it cannot achieve excellence. Though honestly I am not convinced theirs is the only suitable approach, nor even the best. VIA's chip is very well done but I am not sure it is something I will pursue - for many reasons.

I am glad you are enjoying your congratulations, but that means nothing to me. I only care about music and learning something.

Cheers!
Russ
Perhaps I can offer a little bit of both - you can learn from exaU2I while listening to good reproduction of music. It am also glad that we can talk on a thread that is not moderated.

What multichannel USB to I2S device would you recommend for use with the TPA line of DACs?
Old 17th October 2011, 03:26 AM   #840
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
What multichannel USB to I2S device would you recommend for use with the TPA line of DACs?
None yet...

The reason is I want a solution that conforms to the USB audio class 2 spec. I don't want custom drivers if I can avoid it.

In the case of windows one has little choice. But in the professional audio (recording and mastering) arena where I get most of my music from - that fact matters little as almost all the studios use Macs anyway.

That is what I hope to achieve. A standard based approach to USB audio.

But honestly, in this context, who cares about my solution, or any off the shelf solution (like yours)? I was looking at a way for people to possibly come up with their own. That what the DIY section of the forum is all about. If you have some commercial interest that is fine. Just call it what it is.

Cheers!
Russ

Hide this!Advertise here!