exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 84 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 12:39 AM   #831
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOON3876 View Post
If someone want to make something like exaU2I..
DLP-HS-FPGA2 DLP DESIGN USB

it has FT2232H + Xilinx XC3S400A + RAM + Dip50 pins.
FT2232H has Windows/Linux/Mac driver.

There is FIFO to I2S x 4 VHDL

I think exaU2I is nice product, cheap enough
If you're going to make something 'like' the exaU2I, then why not just buy the exaU2I? As far as I can tell, the designs you suggest have exactly the same limitations as the exaU2I, so why bother building the same thing by hand?

As was suggested earlier, start your own thread if you want to talk about something other than the exaU2I. There are also other existing topics that are generic that you can reply to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 01:31 AM   #832
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOON3876 View Post
just FYI,

If someone want to make something like exaU2I..
DLP-HS-FPGA2
DLP DESIGN USB

it has FT2232H + Xilinx XC3S400A + RAM + Dip50 pins.
FT2232H has Windows/Linux/Mac driver.

There is FIFO to I2S x 4 VHDL here.
https://sites.google.com/site/koonau...ti-channel-i2s

I think exaU2I is nice product, cheap enough
Do please start a thread. I think many may find it educational to develop something for themselves.
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 02:46 AM   #833
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Do please start a thread. I think many may find it educational to develop something for themselves.
Hi Russ, Since we have you here and the topic is exaU2I alternatives, I would like to ask about the progress with your USB to I2S project. Are you still pushing the XMOS design after considering the new VIA chips?

I did a number demos in several countries this summer. On several occasions experienced audiophiles congratulated me for achieving better sound in subjective tests compared to various XMOS solutions. I believe that this success is the result of using superior concept, superior drivers and specialized hardware.

There are other benefits of the proprietary solution. Is there another device under $1000 that can deliver asynchronous-jitter-free-galvanic-isolated-32bit-384kHz-8-Channels-PCM+DSD performance?

Regards,

exa065
__________________
exaDevices.com | exaSound.com

Last edited by exa065; 17th October 2011 at 02:53 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 03:08 AM   #834
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Hi Russ, Since we have you here and the topic is exaU2I alternatives, I would like to ask about the progress with your USB to I2S project. Are you still pushing the XMOS design after considering the new VIA chips?

I did a number demos in several countries this summer. On several occasions experienced audiophiles congratulated me for achieving better sound in subjective tests compared to various XMOS solutions. I believe that this success is the result of using superior concept, superior drivers and specialized hardware.

There are other benefits of the proprietary solution. Is there another device under $1000 that can deliver asynchronous-jitter-free-galvanic-isolated-32bit-384kHz-8-Channels-PCM+DSD performance?

Regards,

exa065
I am only seeking to learn something myself.

To what end do you ask your questions? Aren't you happy with what you have? Are you thinking you might do better?

I like to keep an open mind. I am quite happy with XMOS so far. There is nothing there that brings me any concern that it cannot achieve excellence. Though honestly I am not convinced theirs is the only suitable approach, nor even the best. VIA's chip is very well done but I am not sure it is something I will pursue - for many reasons.

I am glad you are enjoying your congratulations, but that means nothing to me. I only care about music and learning something.

Cheers!
Russ
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.

Last edited by Russ White; 17th October 2011 at 03:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 03:14 AM   #835
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member
 
pinnocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Clash of the Titans!
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 03:15 AM   #836
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Clash of the Titans!
No need for that. After all this is not a commercial thread so there should be no commercial interest involved. Personally I am just looking to learn more about the DSP etc.
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 03:17 AM   #837
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member
 
pinnocchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
No need for that. After all this is not a commercial thread so there should be no commercial interest involved.
I know Russ, I was just kidding!

Knowledge is power and it is always good to learn more!

Ciao!
Do
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 03:18 AM   #838
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
I know Russ, I was just kidding!

Knowledge is power and it is always good to learn more!

Ciao!
Do
I know you are. I was just making the broader point. Cheers!
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 03:18 AM   #839
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default TPA USB to I2S Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
I am only seeking to learn something myself.

To what end do you ask your questions? Aren't you happy with what you have? Are you thinking you might do better?

I like to keep an open mind I am quite happy with XMOS so far. There is nothing there that brings me any concern that it cannot achieve excellence. Though honestly I am not convinced theirs is the only suitable approach, nor even the best. VIA's chip is very well done but I am not sure it is something I will pursue - for many reasons.

I am glad you are enjoying your congratulations, but that means nothing to me. I only care about music and learning something.

Cheers!
Russ
Perhaps I can offer a little bit of both - you can learn from exaU2I while listening to good reproduction of music. It am also glad that we can talk on a thread that is not moderated.

What multichannel USB to I2S device would you recommend for use with the TPA line of DACs?
__________________
exaDevices.com | exaSound.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 03:26 AM   #840
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
What multichannel USB to I2S device would you recommend for use with the TPA line of DACs?
None yet...

The reason is I want a solution that conforms to the USB audio class 2 spec. I don't want custom drivers if I can avoid it.

In the case of windows one has little choice. But in the professional audio (recording and mastering) arena where I get most of my music from - that fact matters little as almost all the studios use Macs anyway.

That is what I hope to achieve. A standard based approach to USB audio.

But honestly, in this context, who cares about my solution, or any off the shelf solution (like yours)? I was looking at a way for people to possibly come up with their own. That what the DIY section of the forum is all about. If you have some commercial interest that is fine. Just call it what it is.

Cheers!
Russ
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultimate USB to I2S interface sampler Digital Source 206 30th January 2012 03:45 PM
High Resolution Multi-Channel Digital Interface Brian Brown Digital Source 34 15th January 2008 06:48 PM
interface I2S with USB mermoz Digital Source 0 21st February 2003 10:34 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:54 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2