exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 83 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2011, 08:16 AM   #821
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
@ rsdio: i guess you missed this part of my post? yes i missed the word audio in my second post, but not in my first.
Did you read my response? I was suggesting that you use more precise terms, both because you sounded confused and also because the industry seems to be throwing around these terms in confusing ways. For the readers of this thread, it doesn't help to continue this confusion. I merely wanted to clarify the situation. If my comments did not help you, then I hope they helped others.

Quote:
i'm pretty clear on the details, i had just assumed that the exadevices unit was class 2.0 compliant as others i have seen using the xmos chips are. but then tbh i'm not even clear whether xmos is used, i haven't really been following the technical discussion on this board
Why would you assume that the exaU2I is based on some XMOS chip? There are quite a large number of chips out there capable of USB 2.0 High Speed operation, some with USB Audio Class capabilities, others without. Which XMOS chip in particular were you thinking of? The exaU2I photos show the FTDI Chip # FT2232H, which has nothing to do with the XMOS company.

Quote:
as i have another that is USB AUDIO 2.0 compliant, so has worked on my mac for some time. but my thinking doesn't really make sense, as if it was usb audio 2 compliant there would have been no need for a driver on mac
Right. It's perfectly fine if you were confused. I simply wanted to set the record straight for the many people following this full thread, since it has become sidetracked many times by discussions of competing technologies which have nothing to do with the exaDevices product.

Oh, and by the way I do not work for exaDevices. I am merely a circuit designer and firmware developer with experience in USB and audio, and I have been following the exaU2I for quite some time.

EDIT: The exaU2I also includes an FPGA between the FTDI Chip and the outputs. But it is not directly connected to the USB, which is why I had not mentioned it. I'm not actually sure which FPGA model is used, so I will not comment in any detail.

Last edited by rsdio; 16th October 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:39 PM   #822
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i should have known you would just carry it on, complaining of people sidetracking the thread, while making your best efforts to do so on a regular basis in order to carry on argument and in efforts to bolster your ego

don't bother replying, i'm bored.... I just stuck my fingers in my ears

Last edited by qusp; 16th October 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 16th October 2011, 01:13 PM   #823
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
i should have known you would just carry it on, complaining of people sidetracking the thread, while making your best efforts to do so on a regular basis in order to carry on argument and in efforts to bolster your ego

don't bother replying, i'm bored.... I just stuck my fingers in my ears
Wow.

There is nothing I could say that could possibly make you look any more childish that what you just wrote.

Touché. You win!
Old 16th October 2011, 03:58 PM   #824
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
Hi Alan,
I've just posted a new release of the exaU2I driver that should work on OS X Leopard 10.5, Snow Leopard and Lion. Unfortunately I don't have PowerMac G4 to test it properly.
The Mac recognises the exau2i device but not the driver! The Dashboard is not recognised either. May be best to upgrade to an Intel based mac.
Old 16th October 2011, 04:07 PM   #825
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanElsdon View Post
The Mac recognises the exau2i device but not the driver! The Dashboard is not recognised either. May be best to upgrade to an Intel based mac.
Hi Alan,
I can try to connect to your computer to troubleshoot the driver. Send me a support request from www.exadevices.com > Contact > Technical Support
Old 16th October 2011, 04:42 PM   #826
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Alan,
I can try to connect to your computer to troubleshoot the driver. Send me a support request from www.exadevices.com > Contact > Technical Support
Request sent!
Old 16th October 2011, 05:20 PM   #827
diyAudio Member

just FYI,

If someone want to make something like exaU2I..
DLP-HS-FPGA2
DLP DESIGN USB

it has FT2232H + Xilinx XC3S400A + RAM + Dip50 pins.
FT2232H has Windows/Linux/Mac driver.

There is FIFO to I2S x 4 VHDL here.
https://sites.google.com/site/koonau...ti-channel-i2s

I think exaU2I is nice product, cheap enough

Last edited by KOON3876; 16th October 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 16th October 2011, 10:07 PM   #828
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOON3876 View Post
just FYI,

If someone want to make something like exaU2I..
DLP-HS-FPGA2
DLP DESIGN USB

it has FT2232H + Xilinx XC3S400A + RAM + Dip50 pins.
FT2232H has Windows/Linux/Mac driver.

There is FIFO to I2S x 4 VHDL here.
https://sites.google.com/site/koonau...ti-channel-i2s

I think exaU2I is nice product, cheap enough
You have some very cool projects on your site and I really like your work. However your last post is out of place here. Your own, dedicated, threads are a better place for promoting your usb to i2s solution Could you please move the conversation there?
Old 16th October 2011, 10:30 PM   #829
diyAudio Member

Sorry this post is information for who wants something more than exaU2I, or something not generic.
(Linux, special clock, more output channels, input channels, etc)
you should concentrate exaU2I itself for main stream, and for other special requirement, people should DIY.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:10 PM   #830
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Thanks! Sorry I couldn't come to BurningAmp 2011. I'll make it next year for sure. What was the hottest amp at the event?
Looking forward for the next year
I really liked Nelson's SIT amp. Listened Beast of a thousands jFets, but when he switched to SIT, I melted. Very liquid, everything was right. Little bit stronger in base. Both amps were exceptional, but in my mind SIT was little bit better rounded. Both exceptionally reveling and detailed in the most natural way. SIT is Silicon Carbide power jFet designed and manufactured by Nelsons specs.

Hide this!Advertise here!