exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 75 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2011, 07:45 AM   #741
diyAudio Member

Hi you found the exa U2I ! I am wondering if its possible to mount a Hdmi/Usb adapter at the input ?
Old 11th September 2011, 04:11 PM   #742
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOON3876 View Post
Thank you,
Console: looks like stopped at 2008.
ableton: expensive..
foo_vst: oh, it can not contain multiple instance of same VST.
Reaper 32bit: Thanks I can see exaU2I ASIO DB. but I can not select any input, when exaU2I driver is selected.
maybe I should keep current player-VAC-Reaper-VAC-exaU2I configuration.

Attached "pass-through" VST source code. (I will add filter function here)
did you look at LIVE intro? theres a free demo of it which is probably just time limited, so you can check to see if its useful. It says it supports 6 vst plugins, its a cutdown version of ableton LIVE and costs 99 bucks, limited to 32/192 though.
Old 11th September 2011, 06:34 PM   #743
diyAudio Member

Hi qusp,
I could make 3 way FIR crossover by Reaper (60 bucks) / Rearoute / ReaFIR, and programming / debugging my own VST.
Routing is ASIO only, it's simple now without VirtualAudioCable.
but thank you for the information.
Old 14th September 2011, 07:40 PM   #744
greggp is offline greggp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to greggp
Now that the developer version of Windows 8 is out, has anyone downloaded it? Does it have native support for USB Audio 2.0?
Old 15th September 2011, 02:13 PM   #745
zoka959 is offline zoka959  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Did anyoune tried combination CPLAY - THUNEAU ALLOCATOR - EXA U2I - BUFFALO DAC
Old 20th September 2011, 07:45 AM   #746
diyAudio Member

So now I've had the chance to try the exaU2I with the AD1865. I bought this dac kit off e-bay: DAC kit AD1865N-K NOS 1.0J NOS. This dac is ridiculously cheap, even though the build quality is very high. The PCB is huge, there are discrete circuits all over the board. Separate discrete regulators for the dac and the analog stage, and a very good discrete I/V stage. It runs perfectly at 192 kHz. The sound is really good. Plenty of detail, good timbre, very dynamic and with powerfull bass. And at this sample rate there is no problem with the typical NOS dac early rolloff.

I have encountered two problems with this dac. Perhaps some of you can help? First of all Jriver Media Center stopped playing sound on movie files. I get sound with audio files only. This has never been a problem before.

The next problem is that the exaU2I drives the AD1865 to clipping really early. The digital output is extremely loud, and I have to attenuate the signal by 80 dB in Jriver to get a normal input level. Why could this be? The signal goes through a 74HC2n flip-flop before going to the dac, so perhaps the digital signal from the exa is amplified in some way? The flip-flop runs on 5 V.
Old 20th September 2011, 08:14 AM   #747
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
The AD1865 doesn't accept I2S so what interfacing logic are you using? Sounds like there might be a problem with that. The 74HC02 on the raindrop board isn't a flip flop, just a quad gate. The CS8414 on that board can put out a choice of formats, only one of which is I2S.
Old 20th September 2011, 08:35 AM   #748
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I'm sorry, I see that flip-flop wasn't the correct term. The 74HC02 is connected so that it puts out the left channel data in phase with the LRCK, and the right channel data in phase with the inverted LRCK. No other glue logic than inverting the LRCK for one of the channels.

The AD1865 accepts 2s compliment MSB first, similar to the I2s format. It will only convert the 18 last bits in the stream though, so it's limited to a 16 bit signal, and the two most significant bits will be "empty". So it's definitely not a bit perfect solution. But it works. Only the input of the AD1865 starts clipping unless the input signal is attenuated.

I'll try to find out what kind of output format the CS8414 is configured for in this circuit.
Old 20th September 2011, 08:46 AM   #749
Marek is offline Marek  Poland
diyAudio Member

Painkiller you have to delay DATA line x clock cycles depending on exa I2S bit depth and mode bacause AD1865 will latch only last 18bit inserted into internal register until LRCLK goes down.
Old 20th September 2011, 08:51 AM   #750
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Painkiller you have to delay DATA line x clock cycles depending on exa I2S bit depth and mode bacause AD1865 will latch only last 18bit inserted into internal register until LRCLK goes down.
I know. I'm working on that. It's gonna be a train of 74HC164's.

The CS8414 is configured for 18 bit left justified output, so it's a bit different. None of this should result in clipping though.

Hide this!Advertise here!