exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2011, 03:53 AM   #61
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggp View Post
That sounds great, but I'd still try to develop a multichannel WDM driver so users can play audio/video files with Windows 7 Media Center. With plugins like Media Browser or My Movies, users have a very nice interface for playing DVDs and Blu-rays. In my family, I don't think my wife and daughters would be as enthusiastic about our HTPC if they had to navigate to use the file or folder open function with MPC or VLC and navigate to the folder to find their movies. It's a lot nicer to browse the coverart, which is laid out alphanumerically.

7MC is also great for watching and recording live TV. It's too bad it falls short for playing music. I prefer JRMC for playing my ripped CDs, DVD-As, SACD and BD files (stereo and surround; 16- and 24-bit; 44.1 to 192 kHz). If only JRMC would include a 7MC plugin that would provide Theater View in 7MC.
Agreed, WDM driver is important. There is also an open source ASIO output plug-in which is supposed to work with Windows Media Center. It is unstable. I wish it will be fixed soon.
Old 22nd February 2011, 04:38 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRa View Post
This kit should really make the most out of some 192Khz multichannel recordings I have. But I must admit that I am even more curious about the 384Khz, 32 bit setting. I actually have a master file at this sample rate (24 bits though) and I never got to hear it, so this might be my chance .
The top frequency is actually 352.8 kHz. I don't have any 384 kHz files. Where would I find one?
Old 22nd February 2011, 05:01 AM   #63
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRa View Post
This kit should really make the most out of some 192Khz multichannel recordings I have. But I must admit that I am even more curious about the 384Khz, 32 bit setting. I actually have a master file at this sample rate (24 bits though) and I never got to hear it, so this might be my chance .

So to answer your question, I would have two uses for this: a) high resolution multichannel playback and b) high resolution digital crossover. Maybe the usb 3.0 version will be able of doing both of these at the same time
If your recordings are with Gypsy brass bands from Romania, man I would like to hear that.
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:09 AM   #64
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If your recordings are with Gypsy brass bands from Romania, man I would like to hear that.
Actually it's some piano piece by Beethoven

I don't recall owning or even knowing about any gypsy/world music hi resolution recordings unfortunately. Anyway, as I am aware of, the better gypsy music recordings with bands from the Balkans are made abroad, in studios in the west.

I'll check if I can find the link with the 384Khz studio master file again.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:20 AM   #65
Account disabled at member's request

Keep up the good work and give priority to the OSX drivers.

You can use Saracon (Weiss) to make the 384k/32bit test files.

One question / requirement:

To be able to play DXD in surround (352.8k/24bit in all channels) two of the USB cards need to used...

The two cards then needs to be identified as two separate identities to be able to map the surround channels to the correct USB card etc...
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:22 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

@exa065

1. Can the I2S bus of that board be slaved by a precision clock from the DAC side?

That would IMO be one of the key features. That's what most known PC interfaces and solutions are lacking.

2. Would you guys claim that all applications sound equal as long as the stream is delivered bit-perfect?

3. Would you claim that you managed (at least close) to 100% isolate from PC induced distortions?

Last edited by soundcheck; 22nd February 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:39 PM   #67
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately the 352.8 (not 384k) 32bits(!) files were available below, but not anymore.

Complimentary High Resolution Downloads Courtesy of First Impression Music (24/88.2, 24/176.4, 32/352.8) | Computer Audiophile
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:40 PM   #68
Marek is offline Marek  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi,

to exa065:

what is the jitter of onboard XOs used for I2S generation?

What do you think about integrating Bluetooth (eg. cheap 2$ BT dongle from ebay) into your interface to use it (ofcourse only low sample rates) wirelessly? My fiend has a rather low cost home cinema system with Bluetooth sound gateway function - it is very convinient for laptop users.

Thanks
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:21 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
@exa065

1. Can the I2S bus of that board be slaved by a precision clock from the DAC side?

That would IMO be one of the key features. That's what most known PC interfaces and solutions are lacking.

2. Would you guys claim that all applications sound equal as long as the stream is delivered bit-perfect?

3. Would you claim that you managed (at least close) to 100% isolate from PC induced distortions?
1. No, the I2S bus needs to use one of the build in oscillators. We have your request on the to-do list for future versions. The built-in clocks are very good and we take care to minimize jitter. ES9018 based DACs are not going to benefit from the use of external reference clock. Other DACs will.

2. Yes, we claim that. What may be the concern here? Our philosophy is that the original bits should be delivered to the DAC without any processing. Every user should have the option to decide what make-up should be applied to the sound. We had already a discussion about alternatives ways to involve DSP. For now there are two options: player DSP plug-ins or ASIO VST hosts.

3. Yes. We use ASIO to completely bypass the Windows sound system. We have nothing to do with the Windows mixer, the Windows volume control, Kernel Streaming, Control Panel etc. Some people manage to put some of these technologies under control. It is hard to verify that all issues are resolved when Windows drivers are used. Our preference was to start with a clean solution and than to try to expand it gradually. This way we will know what is lost when compromises are made. The only harm that Windows can do is to be busy for too long and to have no spare CPU time for the player software.
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:30 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Hi,

to exa065:

what is the jitter of onboard XOs used for I2S generation?

Thanks
About 2.9ps

Hide this!Advertise here!