exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 68 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2011, 01:36 AM   #671
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

So you have tested the EXA with the TDA1541 I2S input? What is the bck rate on the exa? The max bck for TDA1541 is 6.4 MHZ.
Old 4th August 2011, 03:16 AM   #672
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default 64*fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
So you have tested the EXA with the TDA1541 I2S input? What is the bck rate on the exa? The max bck for TDA1541 is 6.4 MHZ.
It is 64*fs. You shouls be able to go up to 96kHz. 96000*64=6.14MHz. Sorry, I haven't tested TDA1541.

Cheers,

exa065
Old 4th August 2011, 07:57 AM   #673
diyAudio Member

Isn't the data format from the exaU2I the same as any other USB->I2S interface? The TDA1541 supports the standard 24-bit I2S signal, and converts only the first 16 bits of the data stream, so there's no need for glue logic. Other R2R dacs like the PCM63 or AD1862 would need additional cirquitry.

I know people are running the TDA1541 at 192 kHz sample rate (Audial, ECdesigns). The TDA1541 is more sensitive to jitter at higher sampling rates though. It's hard to predict how good it will be. You could be a pioneer. Be the first to try out the exaU2I + TDA1541 combo.

I'm running the Wolfson WM8741 myself, which is less jitter tolerant than the Sabre chip. The exaU2I + WM8741 combination is fantastic.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:04 PM   #674
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like it should work.

I have a clue from another Asynchrous USB converter on how to deal with the jittery galvanic isolation issue for you guys using the WM8741 (which I will try when I can select all the filters via software mode without needing a course in programming) and the ESS dac.

I have a few clues on how to get rid of the isolators and deal with the grounded by looking at my higher end commercial asynch USB-SPDIF transport.

I guess what I am saying is the EXA has a lot of potential. Obviosly I don't want to hack up my 3ps USB device, but the EXA looks like a nice platform to build from, I am hoping that software/firware support goes beyond the WM and ESS dac's, with the programming knowledge of the designer the flexibility is there to have compatibility with many more well thought of DAC's, just a suggestion. As an engineer (in an entirely different industry) never rest on your laurels Can you imagine all the AudioNote devote's who would jump on this if it supported the AD1865?

I will probably take one for the team with the TDA1541, in shear magnitude there are probably 10,000 to 1 TDA154x DIY audiphile owners to ESS owners.

Hoping that once the OSX driver is made there will be support for more DAC's. Features like true Left and Right channel data output (not Lx2 Rx2), little things like that could make this thing sell off the charts.

Another would be a selectible USB2.0 12Mbits/s mode, wherein you lose a the highrez but you can easily galvanically isolate on the USB side. You could literally build a NOS DAC with as low of Jitter as the SD players yet still retain all the wonderful luxuries of computer playback (VST's, dither, decoding HDCD, instant playback from 3TB HDD archives.) This is the future, not some SD card player that is limited to spitting out a few flac's or a wav's.

Isn't it ironic how we have two camps: one with near perfect timing SD transports feeding old DAC's and only RBCD but with practically no jitter, the other camp where low jitter/rf digital design fundamentals are sacrificed for ultra hirez but it has all the computer luxuries and flexibility. This product could do both and be a real advancement for a lot of DAC builders. It would be a mistake let the design stagnate with only ESS and WM (basically TP modules.)
Old 4th August 2011, 01:25 PM   #675
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Isn't it ironic how we have two camps: one with near perfect timing SD transports feeding old DAC's and only RBCD but with practically no jitter, the other camp where low jitter/rf digital design fundamentals are sacrificed for ultra hirez but it has all the computer luxuries and flexibility.
Hi regal,
Let's talk about the sacrificed fundamentals. I am interested to participate in discussion backed by facts. For example what is the 3ps USB-SPDIF device? How was 3 ps measured? Was that 3 ps on the device output or on the input of the DAC with the jitter caused by the cable and the receiver end taken into account?

Let's also make the jitter discussion factual. What else is out there? We need both independent measurements and subjective tests.

Jitter is one of many dimensions. It cannot be taken out of context, except in marketing talk. A third party not affiliated with vendors should compare the overall performance of the competing devices.

Let's also be factual about what is sacrificed for ultra high-resolution. I often hear that multichannel is sacrifice, hi-res is sacrifice... Please give me the facts and please base your subjective evaluation on first-hand experience with exaU2I.

Regards,

exa065
Old 5th August 2011, 03:34 PM   #676
diyAudio Member

Just got a friend's feedback on the ExaU2I and he says it is better than all the other USB converters he has used, including his own 2707 designs, hiface and hiface Evo and some unnamed ones. Not much comment on the sound, just saying it has a much wider soundstage, better separation between instruments and music sounds flowing. I do not know what that means, he just says he is not giving it back to me 'cause "it is in a different league than all the rest". But what he was most excited about was how stable that device is - plug/unplug/start/stop - it just works which for him is quite impressive. he had all sort of trouble with the other devices and my Young DAC and the software playing tricks and crushing - he loves the ExaU2I and says that now he believes me that computer audio is the future And one thing that is important for him - he says that the Exa is very easy on the processor which for him has two big positive sides - his silent computer does feel better and requires less energy and his software is more stable, personal thanks from him on that. Just sharing, I still expect to hear it at home with the ESS9018, hopefully that will happen soon as I am dying to hear it myself
Old 5th August 2011, 04:48 PM   #677
tuyen is offline tuyen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tuyen
hrmm v tempting.. so what is the recommended/most preferred way of powering the module?

does the module use the power from the usb input to operate anything directly related to the conversion?
Old 5th August 2011, 05:55 PM   #678
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuyen View Post
hrmm v tempting.. so what is the recommended/most preferred way of powering the module?

does the module use the power from the usb input to operate anything directly related to the conversion?
Hi tuyen,

There are several stories about powering the exaU2I and they are all true. The relaxed and careless attitude of the developers left the board with only two power sources by default. The USB, FPGA core and the clocks are powered from the USB cable with applying purification using linear regulators and capacitors. The exaU2I output must be powered by the DAC power supply. We thought two power sources with galvanic isolation is stare of the art.

Demanding DIY skeptics questioned the conventional wisdom and removed the linear regulators to provide independent power to the FPGA core and the clocks. These mods are illustrated here in this thread and on our blog on www.exaDevices.com.

One should start with the default configuration, develop his own experiments and hopefully share his experience. I think it is important to compare the impact of more independent power sources with the baseline configuration. In my own environment I use and like the default configuration.

Maybe I am missing the action .

exa065

Last edited by exa065; 5th August 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 5th August 2011, 08:29 PM   #679
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Stable I2S USB digital playback & DSD playback (Watch out Mytek!)

Audio Friends:

I have posted a performance review following a seven week evaluation of the ExaU2l I2S USB interface for I2S USB playback. During my evaluation ExaDevices introduced DSD USBDAC playback utilizing ExaSound loTech DSDDIFF (proprietary) player which I also review. The beta version is a free upgrade.

The full review is posted here:
ExaDevices exaU2l USB-I2S interface: stable next generation I2S USB digital playback and DSD playback (Watch out Mytek!)

Summary:
The ExaU2l I2S USB interface is my new reference for digital playback, providing stable I2S USB playback with a meaningful performance improvement. ExaU2l plays WAV 32 bit 192Hz files (and much higher) with I2S. (Note to current users!) My experimentation confirms DSD playback provides additional musical enjoyment. With the ExaU2l audio enthusiasts are closer than ever to embracing digital playback without a need to continually compare Analog playback to Digital playback.

(BTW, Nikola I agree with your friend, "it is in a different league than all the rest"; I wouldn't give it back either.)

Best,

Bob
(drspence)
Old 5th August 2011, 09:14 PM   #680
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What is the price?
If I have a DAC that have a SC8416 before the Dac chip,must I remove the 8416 then?

Hide this!Advertise here!