exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 67 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 07:16 AM   #661
Takaji is offline Takaji  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Without having any knowledge of transport bandwidth, I humbly ask... can someone tell me if USB 2.0 is fast enough to handle the highest sampling rate/bit depth that the exaU2I supports? What about multi-channel files? I assume this is not a problem at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 12:48 PM   #662
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takaji View Post
Without having any knowledge of transport bandwidth, I humbly ask... can someone tell me if USB 2.0 is fast enough to handle the highest sampling rate/bit depth that the exaU2I supports? What about multi-channel files? I assume this is not a problem at all.
Yes, USB 2.0 has more than sufficient bandwidth to supply uninterrupted data stream at 4 channels / 384 kHz / 32bit. Multichannel files work fine - at 192 kHz/32bit you can listen to 8 channels. You can find customer experiences here.
__________________
exaDevices.com | exaSound.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 01:12 PM   #663
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
If I may... I hope Axa will not object that I like posting here

I feel need to update you on the latest I find out regarding the problem I outlined here before. The problem was that I could not find software crossover for OSX so I did it through the use of Jack and Logic. Crossover within Pure Music was fine but I needed something else in order to play streaming music or simply just to pop CD, since I was not able to do it in Pure Music.

Now life gets much simpler. Pure Music implemented play through option, which functions sort of like Jack. It allows you to select Pure Music as an output device. That way you could use any other player to play through Pure Music, where you might have set up crossover and Eq filters. That is much easier and simpler than what I was doing before with Jack and Logic. That way you could enjoy your digital files, streaming and CD all through the same set up on Pure Music player. We all do that, we enjoy our Flac files, but we also need simple background music as well.

So Axa, here is one more voice for OSX driver, hehe
AR2, thank you for the update. I will impingement your configuration in my test environment.

exa065
__________________
exaDevices.com | exaSound.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 05:41 AM   #664
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MD
I read the thread, its an interesting product but so geared toward the latest S-D DAC's at the exclusion of the more popular. I know its I2S but not really at only 32 bit output.

A huge segment of DIY DAC builders concerned about highest SQ don't use S-D DAC's, even the most famous DAC the TDA1541 has no support with this USB-"I2S" device. I mean I2S basically came to fruition around the TDA1541 and you can't use the Exa with the most popular I2S input DAC ever built?

Last edited by regal; 3rd August 2011 at 05:59 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:32 AM   #665
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
even the most famous DAC the TDA1541 has no support with this USB-"I2S" device. I mean I2S basically came to fruition around the TDA1541 and you can't use the Exa with the most popular I2S input DAC ever built?

What!? Really? Why couldn't you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:40 AM   #666
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I know its I2S but not really at only 32 bit output.

A huge segment of DIY DAC builders concerned about highest SQ don't use S-D DAC's, even the most famous DAC the TDA1541 has no support with this USB-"I2S" device. I mean I2S basically came to fruition around the TDA1541 and you can't use the Exa with the most popular I2S input DAC ever built?
As far as I know, the exa USB2I2S is not limited to only 32-bit output. Also, there are many converters which are not Sigma-Delta which work with I2S.

Are you certain that the TDA1541 does not work?
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:51 AM   #667
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MD
Hopefully I am missing something, but my copy of the TDA1541A datasheet says data must be 16 bit. Reading thru this thread and the EXA webpage says that the exa will only output 32 bit data, this makes sense as this is how windows handles audio. A 16 bit flac would spit out of the exa as 16bit +16 zeros (per channel).

Now maybe after the 16th bit the TDA1541 would truncate the zeros spilling in until wordclock shifts, I don't know but the datasheet is pretty clear about a max 16 bit. And I would be concerned with how the LSB is handled if it is followed by 16 zeros. The TDA also has a max data input rate of 6Mbits/s.

Can't believe no one has tried this Exa with the grand father of I2S DAC's

Screw home theater, and digital crossovers, speakers too, I want jitter free TDA1541 conversion for my Grados ( I have a family that is alergic to loud music.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:50 AM   #668
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: HK
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Hopefully I am missing something, but my copy of the TDA1541A datasheet says data must be 16 bit. Reading thru this thread and the EXA webpage says that the exa will only output 32 bit data, this makes sense as this is how windows handles audio. A 16 bit flac would spit out of the exa as 16bit +16 zeros (per channel).

Now maybe after the 16th bit the TDA1541 would truncate the zeros spilling in until wordclock shifts, I don't know but the datasheet is pretty clear about a max 16 bit. And I would be concerned with how the LSB is handled if it is followed by 16 zeros. The TDA also has a max data input rate of 6Mbits/s.

Can't believe no one has tried this Exa with the grand father of I2S DAC's

Screw home theater, and digital crossovers, speakers too, I want jitter free TDA1541 conversion for my Grados ( I have a family that is alergic to loud music.)
You play a 16bit file, then the output is 16bit, all depend on your file, except you set your player to up-bit/upsampling.

By the way, if you want 24bit to 32bit and over 44.1K, it is already nothing should related to TDA1541 or any famous old chips like also PCM63, it is non-sense to compare current HD CAS requirement together with typical CD (16/44,1) specifications.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 01:22 PM   #669
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MD
The exa data is always 64fs, so the word length is always 32 bit package per channel, it may contain only 16 bits of data but as I said earlier there will be 16 bits of zeros that I am not sure how the IS2 input TDA1541 will handle, probably just waits till the next latch and has no harmful effects as data isn't timing. However it would be nice to hear experience of success from someone or Exa before purchasing.

Also you mentioned the PCM63K, this will not interface directly with the PCM63K unless you accept setting up a separate L and R channel and the resulting upsampling since the EXA is sending 32 bit Lchannel-32-bits L channel-... and 32 bit Rchannel-32-bits Rchannel, instead of the non-upsampled method of inversion of wordclock and required datashift (much preferred for NOS builders.) I would think this could be fixed with the software driver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 02:45 PM   #670
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
The I2S standard allows for the use of different bit depth on the transmitting and the receiving end. The standard takes care of maximizing the amount of information delivered.

Specifically for exaU2I, the transmitting end is always 32bit. A 16 bit source will be extended with zeros. (assuming pure source - no volume control or other software processing is used and the LSB extension feature of the driver is off) On the receiving end, the 16 bit DAC will receive the first 16 bits, and than it will wait for the next word.

The 32bit envelope size has nothing to do with Windows. With the ASIO driver we bypass the entire Windows sound system. It is simply one size fits all - and without compromising anything.

exa065
__________________
exaDevices.com | exaSound.com
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultimate USB to I2S interface sampler Digital Source 206 30th January 2012 03:45 PM
High Resolution Multi-Channel Digital Interface Brian Brown Digital Source 34 15th January 2008 06:48 PM
interface I2S with USB mermoz Digital Source 0 21st February 2003 10:34 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2