exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2011, 02:24 AM   #621
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Are there any DSD128 samples available for download? The only one that I could find with Google turned out to be a high-res movie file, not high-res music .

I need to test exaU2I with DSD128. For quick test I faked the header of a DSD64 file. It plays fine but it is off by 1,000,000 ppm.
Old 9th July 2011, 07:41 AM   #622
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi Exa065

Thanks for the quick answer/comment.
As an answer too, to an another comment about my clock subject, I have to repeat that I have not heard yet the sounds of the system including Exa board. But I will do soon...
I understand the Exas explanation and I agree to that point of view. My pointing on this subject is not an asking for hardware changing to the present board, but more as an discussion. As I said before, my "ppm observation" is based on my own experience, when changing of the original stock clock oscillator on an sound card with a better one (stated as be 0,3 ppm), was by it self a very big improvement in sound quality. The explanation of this improvement was only the highest precision of that new clock.
Many peoples think that finding on Ebay good components could be a joke. Sometimes it happens... After a Google search, I found it this (there is many frequencies offered):
Vanguard Ultra precision Golden TCXO, 0.3ppm 11.2896MHz | eBay UK

Maybe what is print it (0,3ppm) on this oscillator is not exactly as it is. I did not measured my self. But the very good result after using this clock was enough for my conclusion.
Anyway, I will feedback based on experiments with better ppm clocks on Exa board. I just bough an oven controlled oscillator (50 ppb) which I intend to use it on Buffalo (when I will get one...).
Anyway, I appreciate very much that ExaDevices developing strategy is to use the collective experience to make things better (or best...).

About that LED indicators is not so important. It was more as an observation. I got your explanation on this. Most important is that it works...

Thanks and keep the good work! The "collective experience" will be beside you...
Old 9th July 2011, 08:05 AM   #623
diyAudio Member

Default DSD128 files

Hi George

The Korg Audiogate software can generate a DSD128 files from a DSD64 or wav file

You can download from - KORG - Learning Center.
Audiogate is free but you need a Twitter acount

But the way, the es9018 Dac will accept up to DSD512 (with a 80+ MHz clock), so for the fun of it, you should add support for all DSD formats between DSD64 and DSD512.

Flemming
Old 9th July 2011, 08:18 AM   #624
diyAudio Member

Default sorry for the fault name (Exa88)...

sorry for the fault name (Exa88)...
Old 9th July 2011, 12:59 PM   #625
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
sorry for the fault name (Exa88)...
No problem, I look forward to find out about your experiments with exaU2I.

exa065
Old 9th July 2011, 02:17 PM   #626
diyAudio Member

Default the firsts experments....

As I said before, I have no DAC at the moment to connect ExaU2I to. But I connected it to USB... I previous installed the dedicated ASIO driver. Exa is recognized.
I have already installed Audio Gate from Korg. This work well to convert and play DSD files (converted in real time to PCM). Exa ASIO driver have been listed in the option of Audio Gate. So, I just used it with the Exa connected, and YES! They work well together. FIFO is ON and I have sample rate 192khz ON too.
The Audio Gate player shows that is about an DSDIIF file, 2 ch, 1 bit, sample rate 5,6Mhz. And seems to work well... I mean nothing crashes...
The only problem is that I can see accordingly to the file sample rate, all the corresponding LEDs on, up to 192Khz... I know that AudioGate can play upper sample rate than 192, but not any sample rate upper than 192 Khz I can see in his options... And the player is sett now on ExaASIO out...I`ve recorded something and sampled the file at 384Khz with Reapear. I`ve played that file, and I still have only the 192 Khz LED on.
I`ve used Foobar to play different files for make the 352Khz LED to light up, or none LED for 384Khz. No chance!
What I`m doing wrong? Or how to do to see that 352Khz LED lighting up?
Old 9th July 2011, 02:44 PM   #627
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up I`ve done it!

It is working! The 352Khz Led is on. I found at last the right file to play it...
Old 9th July 2011, 05:59 PM   #628
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemming3520 View Post
Hi George

The Korg Audiogate software can generate a DSD128 files from a DSD64 or wav file

You can download from - KORG - Learning Center.
Audiogate is free but you need a Twitter acount

But the way, the es9018 Dac will accept up to DSD512 (with a 80+ MHz clock), so for the fun of it, you should add support for all DSD formats between DSD64 and DSD512.

Flemming
Thanks, I created successfully DSD64 and DSD128 stereo files with Korg Audiogate. They work fine with the exa DSD Player and exaU2I. I am still having clicking sound issues at playback start with files downloaded from 2L.
Old 10th July 2011, 04:40 PM   #629
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
I am still having clicking sound issues at playback start with files downloaded from 2L.
Which DAC chip are you using for playing DSD? Buffalo II with ES9018?
The default register setting of Buffalo II might be "SPDIF_AUTODETECT Enabled". (There is no explicit selection method of DSD on ES9018.)
The SPDIF_AUTODETECT would sometimes cause a mis-detect of DSD as SPDIF.
If you set the "SPDIF_AUTODETECT Disabled", you may solve the clicking sound issue.
Old 10th July 2011, 07:48 PM   #630
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Which DAC chip are you using for playing DSD? Buffalo II with ES9018?
The default register setting of Buffalo II might be "SPDIF_AUTODETECT Enabled". (There is no explicit selection method of DSD on ES9018.)
The SPDIF_AUTODETECT would sometimes cause a mis-detect of DSD as SPDIF.
If you set the "SPDIF_AUTODETECT Disabled", you may solve the clicking sound issue.
Thank you, Bunpei.
I am having a software problem. I am not reading properly the file header. Some files are decoded without click and some play fine. Once I get the header decoding class right I will experiment with the SPDIF_AUTODETECT setting.

exa065

Hide this!Advertise here!