exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2011, 12:27 AM   #571
supra is offline supra  Australia
diyAudio Member

As an exaU2I owner, i dont used DSD, because I dont know much about it, maybe I'll use it in the future, but only if it becomes a reliable source for high quality STEREO sound.
My immediate interest is in finding a dac that can utilise the 352.8Khz capability of the U2I.
(even if there are no files yet)
Old 17th June 2011, 03:19 AM   #572
greggp is offline greggp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to greggp
Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
I wander how many people are interested to play with exaU2I and DSD? I haven't heard back form Flemming and I have no further details on the player ->ASIO wrapper setup that was used for his experiment. There are two options to enable DSD with exaU2I:
  • Short term - develop alternative ASIO driver or enable alternative mode for the current driver. This solution will benefit current exaU2I users
  • Develop alternative FPGA implementation / diver - this option is justified if there is enough interest in the DSD playback capability
Additionally, there must be an ASIO player capable of DSD playback. The first thing that comes to mind is a Foobar plug-in. There is a plug-in out there capable of near-real-time DSD->PCM conversion. I will contact the developer to see if he is interested to alter the existing plug-in for native DSD output.
I think the only software for playing DSD on a Windows PC is Korg's AudioGate. Sony also has a DSD Direct Player, but it may only install on certain Vaio laptops.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:11 AM   #573
diyAudio Member

Default Native dsd playback comments

Hello George

I mailed you my code June 15 at 17:26 (GMT + 2hours). Take a look in your spam filer.
I attached a zip file renamed to zi_

And back to why i will like native dsd support.

I have ripped my 700+ sacds to dff files, and will like to have the possiblity to play them in the native format, and on my main system as I can on my Korg MR2/JH16Pro portable system.
At the momemt I use the foobar2000 pluging and resample to 176.4kHz.
I am not aware og any windows player except professionel daw's (10000$++) that can play native dsd. They all downsample.
Last Time I looked Foobar2000 only supported sample frequencies up to 1000kHz in the main core. DSD is wav with a one bit wordlength, so in principle it is just to increase the max sample frequency

Until now it has been difficult to rip sacd's, but now there is a simpler solution using a PS3:
SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2) | Computer Audiophile

So I think more people will have access to dsd/dff files, when they start ripping their sacds : there are 7000+ sacd made but how many 352.4kHz files is it posible to buy.

To comparision i have somthing like
3000 cd's
700 sacd's
200 dvda's and high res downloads

Flemming
Old 17th June 2011, 11:29 AM   #574
diyAudio Member

I have a Lite Dac 83 and i want to put inside it an I2S input ,I got this email off John kenny about his I2S- Both I2S Hiface solutions won't work, as-is.
The Lite uses + & - for each of the four I2S signals instead of the standard + & ground for each signal i.e. LRCLK+ & LRCLK- instead of LRCLK & GND.
Now I'm looking at
exaU2I So has any one put one into a Lite dac83 or know of, as the wiring seems not the norm

Last edited by michael58; 17th June 2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:59 AM   #575
diyAudio Member

this is the Lite dac 83 I2S pinout is below:

1 : GND
2 : GND
3 : -LRCK
4 : +LRCK
5 : -SDATA
6 : +SDATA
7 : -SCLK
8 : +SCLK
is this compatable with the exaU2I wiring
Old 18th June 2011, 10:48 PM   #576
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no, you would have to process the signal in some way. i guess they didnt have in mind anyone using the dac with another input, i do not think you will find another unit that uses this mode as standard
Old 18th June 2011, 10:51 PM   #577
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

flemming, my balanced jh13 sound amazing with sabre at 32/384, nice 'trans-portable' setup with the Korg
Old 18th June 2011, 11:22 PM   #578
diyAudio Member

qusp i got an email from exaU2I saying
If you are interested to experiment with it, you can try to connect the exaU2I outputs to the corresponding positive inputs of the DAC. Additionally you have to apply Ĺ of the negative voltage (-2.5V) to the negative inputs. This should work but of course it is not the proper way to do it.
Exa Team
so there is a way maybe
Old 19th June 2011, 04:18 AM   #579
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=exa065;2608599]I wander how many people are interested to play with exaU2I and DSD? I haven't heard back form Flemming and I have no further details on the player ->ASIO wrapper setup that was used for his experiment. There are two options to enable DSD with exaU2I:

This is exactly what I have been waiting for, I really hope you can make it happen!
Old 19th June 2011, 03:43 PM   #580
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael58 View Post
qusp i got an email from exaU2I saying
If you are interested to experiment with it, you can try to connect the exaU2I outputs to the corresponding positive inputs of the DAC. Additionally you have to apply Ĺ of the negative voltage (-2.5V) to the negative inputs. This should work but of course it is not the proper way to do it.
Exa Team
so there is a way maybe
The proper way is to use something like SN65ALS176.

Hide this!Advertise here!