exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2011, 08:23 PM   #531
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenjer View Post
Is it now possible to enable 5.1 / 7.1 for movies in windows mediacenter?
So far I've managed to test exaU2I / VAC with the following players:
  1. Windows Media Center on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio (WMA, WAV)
  2. Windows Media Player 12 on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio
  3. MPC-HC x86 on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 MKV (AC3, DTS, FLAC)
  4. VLC on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, audio, 2,0, 5.1 MKV (AC3, DTS, FLAC)
  5. Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Trial - Bluray - Mono (Center Channel )
So far, the player that can do all formats is MPC-HC x86, VLC is lacking 7.1 support. MCE is doing great if you can limit yourself to Microsoft media file formats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCE-DVD5.1.jpg (56.8 KB, 430 views)
Old 19th May 2011, 09:51 PM   #532
greggp is offline greggp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to greggp
Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
So far I've managed to test exaU2I / VAC with the following players:
  1. Windows Media Center on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio (WMA, WAV)
  2. Windows Media Player 12 on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio
  3. MPC-HC x86 on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 MKV (AC3, DTS, FLAC)
  4. VLC on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, audio, 2,0, 5.1 MKV (AC3, DTS, FLAC)
  5. Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Trial - Bluray - Mono (Center Channel )
So far, the player that can do all formats is MPC-HC x86, VLC is lacking 7.1 support. MCE is doing great if you can limit yourself to Microsoft media file formats.
You can get MC7 to play everything MPC-HC can play if you have the right codecs installed. Just follow these instructions:

Playing MKV with Windows 7 Media Center using the internal player.

If this doesn't work for you, you can also use MPC-HC as an external player with 7MC.

And follow the instructions on this link to play a Blu-ray disc using MPC-HC with bit-perfect audio.

Recently, there's been a lot of excitement about LAV Splitter, a new set of audio codecs and filters, that might make some of this easier. I haven't had a chance to test this out, because what I currently use works and I'm in no hurry to mess with it, but if I were starting out, it might be worth trying. Here are a couple links for those that are interested:

LAV Filters - DirectShow Media Splitter and Decoders

LAV Splitter - Free Multi-Format Media Splitter (including Bluray!)
Old 26th May 2011, 07:30 AM   #533
supra is offline supra  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've just imported the first exaU2I USB-I2s device into Australia. Very nice unit and great backup from exadevices.
I'm using it with a Twisted Pear Sabre 2 dac, and using the I2S connection of course.
However I cant get a constant lock on to the dac with any freq over 96K. Works fine at 44, 48, 96 but drops out every 2 secs with 176,192.
I've determined it's not the exadevice, as the same thing happens when using an Evo and Teradak I2S connection.
Even when there is no track selected the "Lock" led on dac flashes every 2 secs when connected via I2S.
It's fine with spdif at all freqs, works very well. Tried all the switch positions, very short 1 inch connections, etc.
Very capable laptop with windows 7, tried JRiver and Foobar, same result, no joy over 96K.
It seems there is an issue with the I2S structure in Sabre chip.
Can anyone confirm this, and is there a fix?

Last edited by supra; 26th May 2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: More info
Old 26th May 2011, 09:40 AM   #534
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Certainly, but I cannot find any AU crossover...
If you want to emulate a passive analog crossover made with capacitors and inductors, then Apple provides low-pass and high-pass AudioUnits for free - with the operating system. You just need an application that can host them.
Old 26th May 2011, 09:59 AM   #535
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra View Post
I've just imported the first exaU2I USB-I2s device into Australia. Very nice unit and great backup from exadevices.
I'm using it with a Twisted Pear Sabre 2 dac, and using the I2S connection of course.
However I cant get a constant lock on to the dac with any freq over 96K. Works fine at 44, 48, 96 but drops out every 2 secs with 176,192.
I've determined it's not the exadevice, as the same thing happens when using an Evo and Teradak I2S connection.
Even when there is no track selected the "Lock" led on dac flashes every 2 secs when connected via I2S.
It's fine with spdif at all freqs, works very well. Tried all the switch positions, very short 1 inch connections, etc.
Very capable laptop with windows 7, tried JRiver and Foobar, same result, no joy over 96K.
It seems there is an issue with the I2S structure in Sabre chip.
Can anyone confirm this, and is there a fix?
The possible causes can be many...
But from what you are describing it can simply be caused by your connections to the inputs combined with the firmware used.

Normally the firmware are set up to allow the Sabre to automatically detect PCM / DSD / SPDIF..
If you have any other connections to the Sabre inputs when you play from I2S the Sabre might sense something on the inputs and simply switch between the internal input circuits and this causes unlock during this switch.

Try to physically disconnect (also GND) all other input sources...
Old 26th May 2011, 11:49 AM   #536
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
The possible causes can be many...
But from what you are describing it can simply be caused by your connections to the inputs combined with the firmware used.

Normally the firmware are set up to allow the Sabre to automatically detect PCM / DSD / SPDIF..
If you have any other connections to the Sabre inputs when you play from I2S the Sabre might sense something on the inputs and simply switch between the internal input circuits and this causes unlock during this switch.

Try to physically disconnect (also GND) all other input sources...
Thanks for that, but only input is I2S, from a bit of googling it does seem that there is an issue with the Sabre chip and I2S, but do I take it that you have the exadevice working with Buff2?
Do I have any options with firmware?
Old 26th May 2011, 11:57 AM   #537
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Thanks for that, but only input is I2S, from a bit of googling it does seem that there is an issue with the Sabre chip and I2S, but do I take it that you have the exadevice working with Buff2?
Do I have any options with firmware?
No Buffalo experience as I use my own Sabre32 setup with my own firmware..
There are several that uses Buffalo and exaU2I that may be able to help you...
Old 26th May 2011, 12:30 PM   #538
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you using Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo II DAC of 100 MHz oscillator version?
Old 26th May 2011, 02:34 PM   #539
diyAudio Member

Not sure- I will try to find out. Something is definitely not right with the dac as there are problems with 3 USB-I2S devices. As I said ok under 96K , so I gather you are saying oscillator not right for higher sampling ?
Old 26th May 2011, 03:03 PM   #540
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Are you using Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo II DAC of 100 MHz oscillator version?
Hi Bunpei,
Do you have any suggestions about this case? 176.4 kHz is the first frequency that fails. It appears to be unrelated to the clock even if it is 80 MHz. The first drop-off comes after about 10 secs of playback. It happens all the time. It is not an intermittent problem related to random power noise issues. I haven't seen this with any other exaU2I - Buffalo II user.

Thanks,

exa065

Hide this!Advertise here!