exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2011, 02:28 AM   #521
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
cool, ok i was just waiting for someone to tell me i was ot. and btw although logic pro would be ideal, as its mixer channel strips and eq is functional enough by itself to do a good job, but for a cheaper solution, logic express would suffice if you used third party plugins. there are probably cheaper programs again, but logic being an apple product these days is integrated at the core level. hell you could even use a rudimentary mixer control surface, to tweak values in a tactile manner.

btw ipad can be used as a control surface for logic
Logic is cool, for sure, but also Bidule might be interesting to host effects, AU or VSTs.
Old 16th May 2011, 02:55 AM   #522
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

it needs to be more than a host though, for what you describe for using it on cds and streaming audio, it has to be able to tap any stream that is playing and bounce it through the mixer, there are other programs that do this and only this, like hijacker pro, but you would still need a host.

i wonder if all of these things are resolution independent by operating at system level, or whether they also need to be able to deal with high res audio. at least there is no issue with logic there, the mixer and most decent plugins for it (waves certainly) are floating point 64bit
Old 18th May 2011, 12:01 AM   #523
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Native Windows Driver for exaU2I

I am pleased to announce that exaU2I now works with native Windows players like Windows Media Center, VLC, and MPC-HC. Support for native playback is achieved by using a third-party WDM driver - the Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) from NTONYX.

The Beta version of the new software - exaU2I Dashboard is available for download to registered exaU2I owners on our support website. Detailed installation instructions and screenshots are posted on the exaDevices Blog.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg exaU2ItrayWMC.jpg (135.4 KB, 439 views)

Last edited by exa065; 18th May 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 18th May 2011, 03:47 AM   #524
diyAudio Member

Any news on OSX support?
Old 18th May 2011, 04:41 AM   #525
greggp is offline greggp  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to greggp
Quote:
Originally Posted by exa065 View Post
I am pleased to announce that exaU2I now works with native Windows players like Windows Media Center, VLC, and MPC-HC. Support for native playback is achieved by using a third-party WDM driver - the Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) from NTONYX.

The Beta version of the new software - exaU2I Dashboard is available for download to registered exaU2I owners on our support website. Detailed installation instructions and screenshots are posted on the exaDevices Blog.

That's great news. How do you handle volume control? If you adjust the volume with the app (WMC, VLC, MPC-HC, etc.) does it adjust all channels simultaneously? Can you also adjust each channel individually?

It would be great if a future generation of your product were to support the internal volume control of DACs like the ESS9018 and when you adjust the volume using the app, it actually controlled the DAC's volume.

With MPC-HC, you can configure it to use specific audio decoders and filters, like ffdshow and other DirecShow splitters/decoders. Some of these decoders have a GUI that provide features like bass management. Do these still work with Virtual Audio Cable?

After reading the adjusting sampling rate section of your installation and configuration guide, I noticed you recommend setting the sampling rate for watching movies to 48KHz. Is that just to match the sampling rate of DVDs? What about Blu-rays, which might have a sampling rate of 96KHz or 192KHz? I've ripped my Blu-rays to MKV and converted the audio to FLAC and kept the audio at the original bitdepth/sampling rate of 24/48, 24/96 or 24/192. Will I need to remember the sampling rate and adjust accordingly before playing any blu-ray movie?

Congrats on getting this to work with native Windows players!!! and Thanks!

-Gregg

Last edited by greggp; 18th May 2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 18th May 2011, 05:22 AM   #526
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggp View Post
That's great news. How do you handle volume control? If you adjust the volume with the app (WMC, VLC, MPC-HC, etc.) does it adjust all channels simultaneously? Can you also adjust each channel individually?
When using the Windows native driver you have the choice to enable the Windows volume control. It will adjust all channels just like any soundcard. You can use the Balance control under Levels in the Control Panel to adjust individual channels.
Quote:
With MPC-HC, you can configure it to use specific audio decoders and filters, like ffdshow and other DirecShow splitters/decoders. Some of these decoders have a GUI that provide features like bass management. Do these still work with Virtual Audio Cable?
Yes, you can do anything at the player and it will work like with a normal soundcard.
Quote:
After reading the adjusting sampling rate section of your installation and configuration guide, I noticed you recommend setting the sampling rate for watching movies to 48KHz. Is that just to match the sampling rate of DVDs? What about Blu-rays, which might have a sampling rate of 96KHz or 192KHz? I've ripped my Blu-rays to MKV and converted the audio to FLAC and kept the audio at the original bit depth/sampling rate of 24/48, 24/96 or 24/192. Will I need to remember the sampling rate and adjust accordingly before playing any blu-ray movie?
When using the Windows sound system under Windows 7 you don't have automatic sampling rate switching the way you do with ASIO. You have several choices:
  • You can have VAC and exaU2I Dashboard set to 192 kHz. All sources will be up-sampled by Windows
  • You can set VAC and exaU2I Dashboard configured for the sampling rate that is most-important for you in terms of quality. All sources with different sample rates will be re-sampled
  • You can keep changing the configuration manually
  • You can use ASIO for fine listening and VAC for movies
Quote:
Congrats on getting this to work with native Windows players!!! and Thanks!
-Gregg
Thank you for your support!
Old 18th May 2011, 07:20 AM   #527
Koenjer is offline Koenjer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Is it now possible to enable 5.1 / 7.1 for movies in windows mediacenter?
Old 18th May 2011, 09:14 AM   #528
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Ludomaniac
I just got mye exaI2C a week ago, and I must say that this is by far the best USB Audio implementation I've ever listened to. I'm currently using this towards my Buffalo II DAC, the setup is easy and it sounds great too This is it, there's no turning back after this unit showed up!

Thanks George
Old 18th May 2011, 02:38 PM   #529
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
space charged
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludomaniac View Post
....., and I must say that this is by far the best USB Audio implementation I've ever listened to. I'm currently using this towards my Buffalo II DAC, ................
Thanks George
What other USB devices have you heard?

Old 19th May 2011, 02:15 AM   #530
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenjer View Post
Is it now possible to enable 5.1 / 7.1 for movies in windows mediacenter?
It will take time to try all media formats in all players. So far I've tested 5.1 WMA audio both in Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player 12 running on Windows 7 64 bit. I've also tested MKV video with 5.1 sound with VLC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wmp5.1.jpg (168.5 KB, 371 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!