• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

and so the advertisement goes on. i get you wanted to rebut, but do you not recognise that as a manufacturer to be not only announcing product info in here against the rules, but even though a number of people have voiced concern over the handling of this thread and your product, you fly in the face of all of it by posting audiophile lingo rich, carefully chosen catchphrase saturated, emotionally charged subjective assessments of your product in a diy forum?

can you not see what this says to people and how it rubs them the wrong way? can you not see you are basically raising your middle finger to the sponsors?

there is no doubt this is a very useful and topical product for the diyaudio community, nothing wrong with the execution there. does it work for everyone? no but it doesn't have to, KOON jumping onboard was pure win as well and the software continues to develop. don't offset all of that positive stuff.

Last edited:
and so the advertisement goes on. i get you wanted to rebut, but do you not recognise that as a manufacturer to be not only announcing product info in here against the rules, but even though a number of people have voiced concern over the handling of this thread and your product, you fly in the face of all of it by posting audiophile lingo rich, carefully chosen catchphrase saturated, emotionally charged subjective assessments of your product in a diy forum?

can you not see what this says to people and how it rubs them the wrong way? can you not see you are basically raising your middle finger to the sponsors?

there is no doubt this is a very useful and topical product for the diyaudio community, nothing wrong with the execution there. does it work for everyone? no but it doesn't have to, KOON jumping onboard was pure win as well and the software continues to develop. don't offset all of that positive stuff.

I don't see you trumpeting about Acko's thread...

do you see him doing this? he's hardly here and it was a project thread that was actually developed here starting from a VERY different design and taking input from members of the community with BOMs blank pcbs etc supplied in most cases for those who wanted that. Only the dac board and mcu isn't public but was shared among most of us privately who had nda and blank pcbs supplied of that too to anyone but you had to get your own chips and thus sign the nda. that was the only way such a project with the sabre could be done. i knew someone would meantion that, but its not really the same thing (and you know it), he also does most business by email and only answers direct technical questions in the thread.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Let me get back to the Stereo vs Multichannel discussion. Personally, I listen to music sources in their original format - I don't derive rear channels from stereo recordings and I don't downmix multichannel sources. I try to minimize processing throughout the signal chain - analogue and digital - and to listen to recordings as they are made. To me multichannel should be given as much attention as stereo. There are enough audiophile grade multichannel recordings to justify the experiment. Ideally I want to be able to listen to any sampling rate / any lossless format / any number of channels the way they sounded in the recording studio. As a DIY person I want to do this on my terms. This is the only way to be in control, to eliminate unnecessary clutter, to get indulged in the exciting stuff.

To achieve audiophile grade multichannel is more difficult than doubling the speakers and the amplifiers. However the payback is really exciting.

Now that the Pink Floyd Immersion bluray disks are out, what would you do to listen to the Alan Parsons 96 kHz Quad mix of the Dark Side of the Moon? Have you listened to the Brothers in Arms 20th Anniversary edition in 5.1DSD? Both recordings utilize all channels at full rage. To get the complete experience you need at least four fully potent speakers and amplifiers. To me a fancy receiver and a subwoofer won't be able to get you there.

Should we reject multichannel because it is mostly occupied by movie sound tracks and gaming effects?

Personally I hunt for high-end multichannel recordings and I enjoy the "within-the-orchestra" experience.

exa065

It's great to hear your enthusiastic support for multichannel music. I agree!! I also prefer music in the original format - no upmixing/downmixing, but can also understand that some people enjoy upmixing stereo sources to multichannel since there isn't a lot of multichannel music to listen to.

Does anyone know of any websites, etc. that promote multichannel/surround music?

I'm familiar with a Google group: SurroundSound | Google Groups

and

The Surround Sound Discography: Surround Sound Discography

Is there anything else?

do you see him doing this? he's hardly here and it was a project thread that was actually developed here starting from a VERY different design and taking input from members of the community with BOMs blank pcbs etc supplied in most cases for those who wanted that. Only the dac board and mcu isn't public but was shared among most of us privately who had nda and blank pcbs supplied of that too to anyone but you had to get your own chips and thus sign the nda. that was the only way such a project with the sabre could be done. i knew someone would meantion that, but its not really the same thing (and you know it), he also does most business by email and only answers direct technical questions in the thread.

And now it's a business with a full product line. Exactly the same thing.

qusp, did you get a free Titan board?

i'm evaluating one yes, helping with some user feedback. I've been pretty straight up about that around here or anyone that asks (i mentioned it plain as day in the AVX thread a couple of days ago, so given KOON's link to this project i'm hardly hiding it, its no secret. but i have no arrangement for kickbacks for recommendations, its not even available for sale yet afaik and once i had it, as that was not always going to be the case, but once i did i made sure not to mention it in here out of respect for a vendor thread, even though it isn't one and there is nothing stopping me from posting pics and a review of it here (another reason to get a thread)

once i'm done evaluating it in my system among others, which has only just started as i only just got a mac that supports >macOS10.6.1; i'll take it from there whether i get involved in the project/product or not. if that happens, at that point i'll cease to talk about it in open forum, but until then i'm just an enthusiastic beta user as until recently mac users were out in the cold for hirez usb multichannel. so thats on record, save this post if you like and afaik i'm well within the rules. mods if you're reading this let me know if i'm not

i initially thought you had designed it, i thought it was one and the same thing when i just heard about it as the spec was so similar (hadn't seen it, nor any documentation); if you remember my confused posts in your thread, the ones that some probably thought was subversion, because i had received the offer to evaluate it out of the blue, like 1 or 2 days after i had sent off my expression of interest for the exadevices board

Last edited:
It's great to hear your enthusiastic support for multichannel music. I agree!! I also prefer music in the original format - no upmixing/downmixing, but can also understand that some people enjoy upmixing stereo sources to multichannel since there isn't a lot of multichannel music to listen to.

Does anyone know of any websites, etc. that promote multichannel/surround music?

I'm familiar with a Google group: SurroundSound | Google Groups

and

The Surround Sound Discography: Surround Sound Discography

Is there anything else?

Another one is the QuadraphonicQuad Forums - QQ Home. I found there plenty of information about the early quad recordings.

I've contacted rigisystems too to evaluate their unit (like literally buy one of the evaluation boards), although i'm not actually sure if its available to individuals. first and foremost in this whole thing is finding myself the usb-2s card that best suits my usage for native mac based crossover duties. i have too much on my plate as it is with my own business already.

i would have got the exa board straight away back then if it had mac support

And now it's a business with a full product line. Exactly the same thing.

haha, no it isn't, although maybe that would be convenient for your argument.

anyway this is all getting rather predictable and i know you'll just go on forever

so see ya

why is it that you only took the negative out of my post exa? do you really think this is productive? did you really not notice the genuinely positive things i had to say about the product?

I don't know, typical guy comes to this forum spends $50 on a near datsheet DAC PCB from ebay and mods away with the group, that's DIY.

What is DIY about the EXA? The price we are paying for software and firmaware programming, the hardware certainly doesn't cost what he is asking. Is the software and firmware being modded by the group? Is it shared? Is it held secret?

I wish EXA the best, but its funny you mention the AVS board, much more appropriate peddling spot.

I'll get off my soap box, time to unscubscribe anyhow, Exa ain't bending on programming for the TDA1541 or R2R's. Just a S-D device , if thats what you need great.

But it's not a finished product and he is not just peddling it. I don't see him talk about any prices at all. It is a pre-assembled pcb which doesn't do anything unless it is connected to an external DAC with an I2S interface. Hardly the sort of product you would see in a shop offered to the general public !!

Maybe if he offered it on ebay from china it would be ok with you !!

splitting hairs are you ??

Hi guys, Let me get back to the Stereo vs Multichannel discussion.

Please excuse me if I add remarks to “Stereo vs Multichannel”
1) Stereo [Ref:#1]
2) Multichannel [Ref:#2]
The fundamental concept of sound propagation for a single source (e.g. pure music broadcasting from a singer or orchestra) is “stereo”. It is impossible to hear the sound of a singer from the back (i.e. rear speaker). But, the technique of “surround sound” can be used to reproduce it from multichannel via side and rear speakers. However, I personally regard it as not a natural of sound propagation. The real application of multichannel is for 3D sound propagation such as to stimulate you at battle of war who is listening an airplane moving from rear to front at certain height. My preference is:
1) Pure music – Stereo via HiFi system
2) Movie – Multichannel via AV system
3) Live music concert - Multichannel via AV system
My audiophile requirement of stereo is higher than multichannel. But, AV system has achieved audiophile grade nowadays which proved technology advancement.

A Technical Question!

I now have my exau2i / ess9022 dac running from my cMP2 computer and from a MacMini; the cMP2 by definition is running in 'Hog-Mode' - it is after all the only this left running on the pc!

However I cannot get hog-mode working with any of the music players on the MacMini - they shut off exau2i as well as everything else.

So is there any possibility of getting some player (e.g. Pure Music or Fidelia) to recognize that the exau2i dashboard is running and to allow it to continue running in hog-mode?

Alan

A Technical Question!

I now have my exau2i / ess9022 dac running from my cMP2 computer and from a MacMini; the cMP2 by definition is running in 'Hog-Mode' - it is after all the only this left running on the pc!

However I cannot get hog-mode working with any of the music players on the MacMini - they shut off exau2i as well as everything else.

So is there any possibility of getting some player (e.g. Pure Music or Fidelia) to recognize that the exau2i dashboard is running and to allow it to continue running in hog-mode?

Alan

Hi Alan,
We are working on the 'Hog-Mode'. OS X Lion has introduced changes in this area and we are in communication with Apple development support. Actually 'Hog-Mode' is implemented in the driver, not the dashboard. The driver is open source and we welcome help from other developers.