• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

@ rsdio: i guess you missed this part of my post? yes i missed the word audio in my second post, but not in my first.
Did you read my response? I was suggesting that you use more precise terms, both because you sounded confused and also because the industry seems to be throwing around these terms in confusing ways. For the readers of this thread, it doesn't help to continue this confusion. I merely wanted to clarify the situation. If my comments did not help you, then I hope they helped others.

i'm pretty clear on the details, i had just assumed that the exadevices unit was class 2.0 compliant as others i have seen using the xmos chips are. but then tbh i'm not even clear whether xmos is used, i haven't really been following the technical discussion on this board
Why would you assume that the exaU2I is based on some XMOS chip? There are quite a large number of chips out there capable of USB 2.0 High Speed operation, some with USB Audio Class capabilities, others without. Which XMOS chip in particular were you thinking of? The exaU2I photos show the FTDI Chip # FT2232H, which has nothing to do with the XMOS company.

as i have another that is USB AUDIO 2.0 compliant, so has worked on my mac for some time. but my thinking doesn't really make sense, as if it was usb audio 2 compliant there would have been no need for a driver on mac
Right. It's perfectly fine if you were confused. I simply wanted to set the record straight for the many people following this full thread, since it has become sidetracked many times by discussions of competing technologies which have nothing to do with the exaDevices product.

Oh, and by the way I do not work for exaDevices. I am merely a circuit designer and firmware developer with experience in USB and audio, and I have been following the exaU2I for quite some time.

EDIT: The exaU2I also includes an FPGA between the FTDI Chip and the outputs. But it is not directly connected to the USB, which is why I had not mentioned it. I'm not actually sure which FPGA model is used, so I will not comment in any detail.

Last edited:
i should have known you would just carry it on, complaining of people sidetracking the thread, while making your best efforts to do so on a regular basis in order to carry on argument and in efforts to bolster your ego

don't bother replying, i'm bored.... I just stuck my fingers in my ears

Last edited:
i should have known you would just carry it on, complaining of people sidetracking the thread, while making your best efforts to do so on a regular basis in order to carry on argument and in efforts to bolster your ego

don't bother replying, i'm bored.... I just stuck my fingers in my ears
Wow.

There is nothing I could say that could possibly make you look any more childish that what you just wrote.

Touché. You win!

Last edited:
just FYI,

If someone want to make something like exaU2I..
DLP-HS-FPGA2
DLP DESIGN USB

it has FT2232H + Xilinx XC3S400A + RAM + Dip50 pins.
FT2232H has Windows/Linux/Mac driver.

There is FIFO to I2S x 4 VHDL here.
https://sites.google.com/site/koonaudioprojects/usb-to-multi-channel-i2s

I think exaU2I is nice product, cheap enough :)

You have some very cool projects on your site and I really like your work. However your last post is out of place here. Your own, dedicated, threads are a better place for promoting your usb to i2s solution :) Could you please move the conversation there?

Thanks! Sorry I couldn't come to BurningAmp 2011. I'll make it next year for sure. What was the hottest amp at the event?

Looking forward for the next year :)
I really liked Nelson's SIT amp. Listened Beast of a thousands jFets, but when he switched to SIT, I melted. Very liquid, everything was right. Little bit stronger in base. Both amps were exceptional, but in my mind SIT was little bit better rounded. Both exceptionally reveling and detailed in the most natural way. SIT is Silicon Carbide power jFet designed and manufactured by Nelsons specs.

If someone want to make something like exaU2I..
DLP-HS-FPGA2 DLP DESIGN USB

it has FT2232H + Xilinx XC3S400A + RAM + Dip50 pins.
FT2232H has Windows/Linux/Mac driver.

There is FIFO to I2S x 4 VHDL

I think exaU2I is nice product, cheap enough :)
If you're going to make something 'like' the exaU2I, then why not just buy the exaU2I? As far as I can tell, the designs you suggest have exactly the same limitations as the exaU2I, so why bother building the same thing by hand?

As was suggested earlier, start your own thread if you want to talk about something other than the exaU2I. There are also other existing topics that are generic that you can reply to.

Do please start a thread. I think many may find it educational to develop something for themselves.

Hi Russ, Since we have you here and the topic is exaU2I alternatives, I would like to ask about the progress with your USB to I2S project. Are you still pushing the XMOS design after considering the new VIA chips?

I did a number demos in several countries this summer. On several occasions experienced audiophiles congratulated me for achieving better sound in subjective tests compared to various XMOS solutions. I believe that this success is the result of using superior concept, superior drivers and specialized hardware.

There are other benefits of the proprietary solution. Is there another device under $1000 that can deliver asynchronous-jitter-free-galvanic-isolated-32bit-384kHz-8-Channels-PCM+DSD performance?

Regards,

exa065

Last edited:
Hi Russ, Since we have you here and the topic is exaU2I alternatives, I would like to ask about the progress with your USB to I2S project. Are you still pushing the XMOS design after considering the new VIA chips?

I did a number demos in several countries this summer. On several occasions experienced audiophiles congratulated me for achieving better sound in subjective tests compared to various XMOS solutions. I believe that this success is the result of using superior concept, superior drivers and specialized hardware.

There are other benefits of the proprietary solution. Is there another device under $1000 that can deliver asynchronous-jitter-free-galvanic-isolated-32bit-384kHz-8-Channels-PCM+DSD performance?

Regards,

exa065

I am only seeking to learn something myself.

To what end do you ask your questions? Aren't you happy with what you have? Are you thinking you might do better? :D

I like to keep an open mind. I am quite happy with XMOS so far. There is nothing there that brings me any concern that it cannot achieve excellence. Though honestly I am not convinced theirs is the only suitable approach, nor even the best. VIA's chip is very well done but I am not sure it is something I will pursue - for many reasons.

I am glad you are enjoying your congratulations, but that means nothing to me. I only care about music and learning something.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
TPA USB to I2S Solution

I am only seeking to learn something myself.

To what end do you ask your questions? Aren't you happy with what you have? Are you thinking you might do better? :D

I like to keep an open mind I am quite happy with XMOS so far. There is nothing there that brings me any concern that it cannot achieve excellence. Though honestly I am not convinced theirs is the only suitable approach, nor even the best. VIA's chip is very well done but I am not sure it is something I will pursue - for many reasons.

I am glad you are enjoying your congratulations, but that means nothing to me. I only care about music and learning something.

Cheers!
Russ
Perhaps I can offer a little bit of both - you can learn from exaU2I while listening to good reproduction of music. It am also glad that we can talk on a thread that is not moderated.

What multichannel USB to I2S device would you recommend for use with the TPA line of DACs?

What multichannel USB to I2S device would you recommend for use with the TPA line of DACs?

None yet... :)

The reason is I want a solution that conforms to the USB audio class 2 spec. I don't want custom drivers if I can avoid it.

In the case of windows one has little choice. But in the professional audio (recording and mastering) arena where I get most of my music from - that fact matters little as almost all the studios use Macs anyway.

That is what I hope to achieve. A standard based approach to USB audio.

But honestly, in this context, who cares about my solution, or any off the shelf solution (like yours)? I was looking at a way for people to possibly come up with their own. That what the DIY section of the forum is all about. If you have some commercial interest that is fine. Just call it what it is.

Cheers!
Russ