• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

cool, ok i was just waiting for someone to tell me i was ot. and btw although logic pro would be ideal, as its mixer channel strips and eq is functional enough by itself to do a good job, but for a cheaper solution, logic express would suffice if you used third party plugins. there are probably cheaper programs again, but logic being an apple product these days is integrated at the core level. hell you could even use a rudimentary mixer control surface, to tweak values in a tactile manner.

btw ipad can be used as a control surface for logic

Logic is cool, for sure, but also Bidule might be interesting to host effects, AU or VSTs.

it needs to be more than a host though, for what you describe for using it on cds and streaming audio, it has to be able to tap any stream that is playing and bounce it through the mixer, there are other programs that do this and only this, like hijacker pro, but you would still need a host.

i wonder if all of these things are resolution independent by operating at system level, or whether they also need to be able to deal with high res audio. at least there is no issue with logic there, the mixer and most decent plugins for it (waves certainly) are floating point 64bit

Native Windows Driver for exaU2I

I am pleased to announce that exaU2I now works with native Windows players like Windows Media Center, VLC, and MPC-HC. Support for native playback is achieved by using a third-party WDM driver - the Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) from NTONYX.

The Beta version of the new software - exaU2I Dashboard is available for download to registered exaU2I owners on our support website. Detailed installation instructions and screenshots are posted on the exaDevices Blog.

Attachments

• exaU2ItrayWMC.jpg
    exaU2ItrayWMC.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
I am pleased to announce that exaU2I now works with native Windows players like Windows Media Center, VLC, and MPC-HC. Support for native playback is achieved by using a third-party WDM driver - the Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) from NTONYX.

The Beta version of the new software - exaU2I Dashboard is available for download to registered exaU2I owners on our support website. Detailed installation instructions and screenshots are posted on the exaDevices Blog.

That's great news. How do you handle volume control? If you adjust the volume with the app (WMC, VLC, MPC-HC, etc.) does it adjust all channels simultaneously? Can you also adjust each channel individually?

It would be great if a future generation of your product were to support the internal volume control of DACs like the ESS9018 and when you adjust the volume using the app, it actually controlled the DAC's volume.

With MPC-HC, you can configure it to use specific audio decoders and filters, like ffdshow and other DirecShow splitters/decoders. Some of these decoders have a GUI that provide features like bass management. Do these still work with Virtual Audio Cable?

After reading the adjusting sampling rate section of your installation and configuration guide, I noticed you recommend setting the sampling rate for watching movies to 48KHz. Is that just to match the sampling rate of DVDs? What about Blu-rays, which might have a sampling rate of 96KHz or 192KHz? I've ripped my Blu-rays to MKV and converted the audio to FLAC and kept the audio at the original bitdepth/sampling rate of 24/48, 24/96 or 24/192. Will I need to remember the sampling rate and adjust accordingly before playing any blu-ray movie?

Congrats on getting this to work with native Windows players!!! and Thanks!

-Gregg

Last edited:
That's great news. How do you handle volume control? If you adjust the volume with the app (WMC, VLC, MPC-HC, etc.) does it adjust all channels simultaneously? Can you also adjust each channel individually?
When using the Windows native driver you have the choice to enable the Windows volume control. It will adjust all channels just like any soundcard. You can use the Balance control under Levels in the Control Panel to adjust individual channels.
With MPC-HC, you can configure it to use specific audio decoders and filters, like ffdshow and other DirecShow splitters/decoders. Some of these decoders have a GUI that provide features like bass management. Do these still work with Virtual Audio Cable?
Yes, you can do anything at the player and it will work like with a normal soundcard.
After reading the adjusting sampling rate section of your installation and configuration guide, I noticed you recommend setting the sampling rate for watching movies to 48KHz. Is that just to match the sampling rate of DVDs? What about Blu-rays, which might have a sampling rate of 96KHz or 192KHz? I've ripped my Blu-rays to MKV and converted the audio to FLAC and kept the audio at the original bit depth/sampling rate of 24/48, 24/96 or 24/192. Will I need to remember the sampling rate and adjust accordingly before playing any blu-ray movie?
When using the Windows sound system under Windows 7 you don't have automatic sampling rate switching the way you do with ASIO. You have several choices:

• You can have VAC and exaU2I Dashboard set to 192 kHz. All sources will be up-sampled by Windows
  • You can set VAC and exaU2I Dashboard configured for the sampling rate that is most-important for you in terms of quality. All sources with different sample rates will be re-sampled
  • You can keep changing the configuration manually
  • You can use ASIO for fine listening and VAC for movies :)
Congrats on getting this to work with native Windows players!!! and Thanks!
-Gregg
Thank you for your support!

I just got mye exaI2C a week ago, and I must say that this is by far the best USB Audio implementation I've ever listened to. I'm currently using this towards my Buffalo II DAC, the setup is easy and it sounds great too :) This is it, there's no turning back after this unit showed up!

Thanks George :)

Is it now possible to enable 5.1 / 7.1 for movies in windows mediacenter?

It will take time to try all media formats in all players. So far I've tested 5.1 WMA audio both in Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player 12 running on Windows 7 64 bit. I've also tested MKV video with 5.1 sound with VLC.

Attachments

• wmp5.1.jpg
    wmp5.1.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 414
Is it now possible to enable 5.1 / 7.1 for movies in windows mediacenter?

So far I've managed to test exaU2I / VAC with the following players:

1. Windows Media Center on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio (WMA, WAV)
  2. Windows Media Player 12 on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio
  3. MPC-HC x86 on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 MKV (AC3, DTS, FLAC)
  4. VLC on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, audio, 2,0, 5.1 MKV (AC3, DTS, FLAC)
  5. Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Trial - Bluray - Mono (Center Channel :))
So far, the player that can do all formats is MPC-HC x86, VLC is lacking 7.1 support. MCE is doing great if you can limit yourself to Microsoft media file formats.

Attachments

• MCE-DVD5.1.jpg
    MCE-DVD5.1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 477
So far I've managed to test exaU2I / VAC with the following players:

1. Windows Media Center on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio (WMA, WAV)
  2. Windows Media Player 12 on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio
  3. MPC-HC x86 on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 audio, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 MKV (AC3, DTS, FLAC)
  4. VLC on 64bit Windows 7 - 2.0, 5.1 DVD, 2.0, 5.1, audio, 2,0, 5.1 MKV (AC3, DTS, FLAC)
  5. Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Trial - Bluray - Mono (Center Channel :))
So far, the player that can do all formats is MPC-HC x86, VLC is lacking 7.1 support. MCE is doing great if you can limit yourself to Microsoft media file formats.

You can get MC7 to play everything MPC-HC can play if you have the right codecs installed. Just follow these instructions:

Playing MKV with Windows 7 Media Center using the internal player.

If this doesn't work for you, you can also use MPC-HC as an external player with 7MC.

And follow the instructions on this link to play a Blu-ray disc using MPC-HC with bit-perfect audio.

Recently, there's been a lot of excitement about LAV Splitter, a new set of audio codecs and filters, that might make some of this easier. I haven't had a chance to test this out, because what I currently use works and I'm in no hurry to mess with it, but if I were starting out, it might be worth trying. Here are a couple links for those that are interested:

LAV Filters - DirectShow Media Splitter and Decoders

LAV Splitter - Free Multi-Format Media Splitter (including Bluray!)

I've just imported the first exaU2I USB-I2s device into Australia. Very nice unit and great backup from exadevices.
I'm using it with a Twisted Pear Sabre 2 dac, and using the I2S connection of course.
However I cant get a constant lock on to the dac with any freq over 96K. Works fine at 44, 48, 96 but drops out every 2 secs with 176,192.
I've determined it's not the exadevice, as the same thing happens when using an Evo and Teradak I2S connection.
Even when there is no track selected the "Lock" led on dac flashes every 2 secs when connected via I2S.
It's fine with spdif at all freqs, works very well. Tried all the switch positions, very short 1 inch connections, etc.
Very capable laptop with windows 7, tried JRiver and Foobar, same result, no joy over 96K.
It seems there is an issue with the I2S structure in Sabre chip.
Can anyone confirm this, and is there a fix?

Last edited:
I've just imported the first exaU2I USB-I2s device into Australia. Very nice unit and great backup from exadevices.
I'm using it with a Twisted Pear Sabre 2 dac, and using the I2S connection of course.
However I cant get a constant lock on to the dac with any freq over 96K. Works fine at 44, 48, 96 but drops out every 2 secs with 176,192.
I've determined it's not the exadevice, as the same thing happens when using an Evo and Teradak I2S connection.
Even when there is no track selected the "Lock" led on dac flashes every 2 secs when connected via I2S.
It's fine with spdif at all freqs, works very well. Tried all the switch positions, very short 1 inch connections, etc.
Very capable laptop with windows 7, tried JRiver and Foobar, same result, no joy over 96K.
It seems there is an issue with the I2S structure in Sabre chip.
Can anyone confirm this, and is there a fix?

The possible causes can be many...
But from what you are describing it can simply be caused by your connections to the inputs combined with the firmware used.

Normally the firmware are set up to allow the Sabre to automatically detect PCM / DSD / SPDIF..
If you have any other connections to the Sabre inputs when you play from I2S the Sabre might sense something on the inputs and simply switch between the internal input circuits and this causes unlock during this switch.

Try to physically disconnect (also GND) all other input sources...

The possible causes can be many...
But from what you are describing it can simply be caused by your connections to the inputs combined with the firmware used.

Normally the firmware are set up to allow the Sabre to automatically detect PCM / DSD / SPDIF..
If you have any other connections to the Sabre inputs when you play from I2S the Sabre might sense something on the inputs and simply switch between the internal input circuits and this causes unlock during this switch.

Try to physically disconnect (also GND) all other input sources...

Thanks for that, but only input is I2S, from a bit of googling it does seem that there is an issue with the Sabre chip and I2S, but do I take it that you have the exadevice working with Buff2?
Do I have any options with firmware?

Thanks for that, but only input is I2S, from a bit of googling it does seem that there is an issue with the Sabre chip and I2S, but do I take it that you have the exadevice working with Buff2?
Do I have any options with firmware?

No Buffalo experience as I use my own Sabre32 setup with my own firmware..
There are several that uses Buffalo and exaU2I that may be able to help you...

Are you using Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo II DAC of 100 MHz oscillator version?

Hi Bunpei,
Do you have any suggestions about this case? 176.4 kHz is the first frequency that fails. It appears to be unrelated to the clock even if it is 80 MHz. The first drop-off comes after about 10 secs of playback. It happens all the time. It is not an intermittent problem related to random power noise issues. I haven't seen this with any other exaU2I - Buffalo II user.

Thanks,

exa065