exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > exaDevices

exaDevices World-class audio devices for do-it-yourself projects from exaDevices

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2011, 03:03 AM   #261
exa065 is offline exa065  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Sorry exa, for the interruption with sort of unrelated disscussion, but I am positive I will be plugging exa device to a LP/Thunderbolt pretty soon.
This is all very exciting. I am looking for alternatives that will allow me to overcome the limitations of the device. There are 3 possibilities. (1) Develop new drivers (2) Develop new hardware (3) Both .
Old 5th April 2011, 08:05 AM   #262
Marek is offline Marek  Poland
diyAudio Member

I can't understand why you guys talk about FW again and again. From technical point of view there is no difference what kind of interface you use - USB, FW, Ethernet, Bluetooth etc. The fact that pros use FW has nothing to do with level of output jitter.
If you want FW because you like this name or you like to feel like pro because you use the same interface go ahead but this won't give you nothing more than that. Understand it.
If you disagree post firm advantages of FW or leave this FW talk.

P.S. I'm not fan of exa2UI and I do not have it - its to expensive for me because of currency relation.
Old 5th April 2011, 08:28 AM   #263
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
I can't understand why you guys talk about FW again and again. From technical point of view there is no difference what kind of interface you use - USB, FW, Ethernet, Bluetooth etc. The fact that pros use FW has nothing to do with level of output jitter.
If you want FW because you like this name or you like to feel like pro because you use the same interface go ahead but this won't give you nothing more than that. Understand it.
If you disagree post firm advantages of FW or leave this FW talk.
I agree with this. Further, Firewire ports on many consumer motherboards are already becoming an afterthought. The drive now is towards adding in USB 3 ports (using NEC's controllers) and I suspect Thunderbolt will pick up a lot of interest when made available to more platforms.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:10 AM   #264
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1 View Post
I agree with this. Further, Firewire ports on many consumer motherboards are already becoming an afterthought. The drive now is towards adding in USB 3 ports (using NEC's controllers) and I suspect Thunderbolt will pick up a lot of interest when made available to more platforms.
Regarding USB 3 - I have tested the exaU2I on various USB hardware implementations including USB 3 with NEC controller.
All tested USB implementations I have tried works without problems,
and I will in a day or two check if there are any differences in the Fidelity performance between the various USB hardware implementations (on the PC).
Old 5th April 2011, 10:22 AM   #265
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
Regarding USB 3 - I have tested the exaU2I on various USB hardware implementations including USB 3 with NEC controller.
All tested USB implementations I have tried works without problems,
and I will in a day or two check if there are any differences in the Fidelity performance between the various USB hardware implementations (on the PC).
Yes, the NEC controller handles USB 2.0 compliant devices fine in my experience. In essence it might be better to place the exaU21 by itself on the NEC controller as it is bridged directly to the PCIe bus rather than relying on the master USB hub. Looking at the datasheet, clock modifications are possible, although tricky.

Last edited by Raj1; 5th April 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:37 AM   #266
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdio View Post
But, again, if you are using a USB-reclocker then you are misunderstanding the proper solution. Reclocking is different technology than having the DAC run as master clock. USB-Audio offers too many options, I suppose, because this should not be so confusing.
The real problem is the asynchronous clocking scheme.

The best and most consequent clock implementation I came across is the EC-designs SD-card player.
One clock for everything. No intermodulations of any kind.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:03 AM   #267
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
The real problem is the asynchronous clocking scheme.

(..)

One clock for everything. No intermodulations of any kind.
you really should learn more about asynchronous USB-I2S solution before you write here more statments like this
Old 5th April 2011, 11:17 AM   #268
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
you really should learn more about asynchronous USB-I2S solution before you write here more statments like this
You should read what I wrote. I'm not talking about asynchronous USB.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:45 AM   #269
diyAudio Member

It seems I missed your point. Please clarify what issue are your statments regarded to.
Old 5th April 2011, 02:17 PM   #270
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1 View Post
Yes, the NEC controller handles USB 2.0 compliant devices fine in my experience. In essence it might be better to place the exaU21 by itself on the NEC controller as it is bridged directly to the PCIe bus rather than relying on the master USB hub. Looking at the datasheet, clock modifications are possible, although tricky.
I have now compared the Fidelity of the exaU2I when connected to the standard USB 2.0 hub and the NEC USB 3.0 controller.

In my setup the differences are easily detected and the exaU2I stays connected to the NEC USB 3.0 controller

When I received the exaU2I the first thing I checked was that the exaU2I was recognized by the NEC USB 3.0 controller running OSX 10.6.7..
So if the OSX drivers become available I expect the NEC USB 3.0 controller can be used with exaU2I also when running OSX.

Hide this!Advertise here!