• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface

It appeare that a whole section was removed by accident when I edited the post...

A calculated improvement in jitter of up to 60 dB...
It may not be measurable by more than a few dB´s..
But I expect it would affect the fidelity...

This was not completely accurate...

60dB is a calculated maximum possible improvement on the bit clock as a theoretical worst case scenario.
A 1ps jitter clock vs a 2ns variation of the GMR´s,
but as an example with a ES9018 chip this would have little or barely no effect at all as only the jitter on the word clock would matter as long as the correct "0" and "1" data bits are clocked in..
What matters on a ES9018 are the word clock.
Jitter on the word clock will be mostly removed by the ES9018 jitter removal circuit.

Also on a PCM1704 the bit clock are only used to shift the data into a serial buffer and it is the word clock that would be sensitive for jitter.
The word clock latches the data from the serial buffer into a parallel buffer for further processing.

The word clock will only be affected of 1/64 times of the jitter a GMR isolator might introduce compared to the bit clock.
With a PCM1704 without any jitter removal circuit this may make a difference compared to a ES9018 where any jitter will be greatly reduced.

Last edited:
I wonder if I can get some opinions about a nutty idea I just had.

Is there any merit in feeding my stereo DAC that has eight DA chips with eight I2S streams via the exaU2I?

I have the Audio-gd REF7 ºÍ§Ó*µ响. I really like the sound signature of this eight piece PCM1704 R2R mono chip but it does seem to be very sensitive to jitter.

The REF7 is fed by SPDIF and has a jitter reducing DSP module ([FONT=&#26032]http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DSP1/DSP1ENspecs.htm Two-channel Digital Interpolation Filter and data in-phase processor for digital audio),[/FONT]that takes I2S, upsamples if you like and splits I2S into left and right channels for the mono PCM1704's (four on each side).

I guess Foobar can use VST (Virtual Studio Technology) and DSP's to create four left only channels and four right only channels.

If these were taken out of the exaU2I by identical wires to feed each chip discreetly would it work?

If it makes music I wonder if you might care to speculate which will sound better.
A)a single I2S stereo signal to the DSP-1
B) Eight discreet I2S mono signals - one per PCM1704

Cheers

Hello Kazap,
I will speculate that it will sound better without the DSP-1. You will know for sure after you try it both ways and ask your wife for a blind test :).
It is easy to assign 4 left and 4 right channels with the exaU2I ASIO driver. Later today I will read about PCM1704 to see if a little firmware modification is required to have a clean solution and to make your life simpler.

Cheers,

eha065

At the risk of being told that I shouldn't be posting here, my experience (& others) is that these GMR isolators do have a negative sonic impact & it's best to leave them out. I don't find any noticeable noise issues from the laptop/PC/Mac that warrants isolators.

Do you have empirical evidence of this or are you just believing the ESS marketing department? Have you heard any difference between GMR isolator in circuit & out of circuit?

I was trusting in your statement in the first "quote" was empirical evidence :eek:

Maybe the "negative sonic impact" you states are caused by something else than "jitter" when YOU experience the phenomenon :D:D

Even if you states
I don't find any noticeable noise issues from the laptop/PC/Mac that warrants isolators
I would recommend that you evaluates what USB galvanic isolation will do first....

Last edited:
Sorry EXA but RayCtech has to be answered!

What? I'm not switching arguments? Maybe you don't understand?

As I sated before - GMR isolators in the I2S lines degrade the sound, probably as a result of their added jitter & the jitter reduction of the Sabre DAC will not negate this (no matter what ESS marketing says). No different from what I said before except for the ESS bit added in.

Sorry EXA but RayCtech has to be answered!

What? I'm not switching arguments? Maybe you don't understand?

As I sated before - GMR isolators in the I2S lines degrade the sound, probably as a result of their added jitter & the jitter reduction of the Sabre DAC will not negate this (no matter what ESS marketing says). No different from what I said before except for the ESS bit added in.

Hi John,

I don't want you to abandon the thread. I just need to avoid opening again topics where we agreed to disagree. There are plenty of devices without GMRs. People can also remove the GMR's from the exaU2I and decide for themselves if there is more gain or more loss.

Regarding the ESS advertising, I am amazed how silly are the attacks against the capabilities of their jitter removal technology. I speak here as a DIY person. ES 9018 is one of the best things that happen to my personal system for the past 20 years. Perhaps people have disappointments with their product because they don't have the specifications and the knowledge to use it properly.

The real exaU2I jitter is less than the calculated about 100ps. And there is more to exaU2I than jitter. It is a fine package that delivers clean, dynamic and detailed sound. We haven't had a single user saying that the for the improvement it brings the board is too expensive. I fact all of our users are enthusiastic about exaU2I.

Regards,

exa065

Hi John,

I don't want you to abandon the thread. I just need to avoid opening again topics where we agreed to disagree. There are plenty of devices without GMRs. People can also remove the GMR's from the exaU2I and decide for themselves if there is more gain or more loss.
Sure, & maybe some users of the EXA will try bypassing the GMR device & reporting their sonic findings?

Regarding the ESS advertising, I am amazed how silly are the attacks against the capabilities of their jitter removal technology. I speak here as a DIY person. ES 9018 is one of the best things that happen to my personal system for the past 20 years. Perhaps people have disappointments with their product because they don't have the specifications and the knowledge to use it properly.
Maybe you missed this post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...g-new-ess-vout-dac-es9022-13.html#post2550015
And the extract by some ex-design engineers of the ESS
"The clock (timing source) is critical. Although the Sabre DAC has on-chip re-synchronization to its master clock, higher performance can be achieved by controlling the relative phase of the system and the DAC clocks."

The real exaU2I jitter is less than the calculated about 100ps. And there is more to exaU2I than jitter. It is a fine package that delivers clean, dynamic and detailed sound. We haven't had a single user saying that the for the improvement it brings the board is too expensive. I fact all of our users are enthusiastic about exaU2I.

Regards,

exa065
Sure, Exa, I don't doubt about what you say.

Last edited:
I wonder if I can get some opinions about a nutty idea I just had.

Is there any merit in feeding my stereo DAC that has eight DA chips with eight I2S streams via the exaU2I?

I have the Audio-gd REF7 ºÍ§Ó*µ响. I really like the sound signature of this eight piece PCM1704 R2R mono chip but it does seem to be very sensitive to jitter.

The REF7 is fed by SPDIF and has a jitter reducing DSP module ([FONT=&#26032]http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DSP1/DSP1ENspecs.htm Two-channel Digital Interpolation Filter and data in-phase processor for digital audio),[/FONT]that takes I2S, upsamples if you like and splits I2S into left and right channels for the mono PCM1704's (four on each side).

I guess Foobar can use VST (Virtual Studio Technology) and DSP's to create four left only channels and four right only channels.

If these were taken out of the exaU2I by identical wires to feed each chip discreetly would it work?

If it makes music I wonder if you might care to speculate which will sound better.
A)a single I2S stereo signal to the DSP-1
B) Eight discreet I2S mono signals - one per PCM1704

Cheers

Kazap,
Unfortunately it is impossible to connect exaU2I directly to PCM1704. PCM1704 expects data in "Standard Format (Sony Format), right justified". The exaU2I output is I2S. You need to use DF1704 as in intermediate step. DF1704 accepts one stereo I2S feed and supplies two PCM1704 mono DACs.

Last edited:
Kazap,
Unfortunately it is impossible to connect exaU2I directly to PCM1704. PCM1704 expects data in "Standard Format (Sony Format), right justified". The exaU2I output is I2S. You need to use DF1704 as in intermediate step. DF1704 accepts one stereo I2S feed and supplies two PCM1704 mono DACs.

Yes, its true, but it is possible with some simple glue logic. Look here: Creating a DIY non oversampling DAC with PCM1704

All you have to do is to delay DATA line properely for each PCM1704 chip. Universal and the most elegant solution is use of variable delay flip flop chip (eg CD4557) for every DAC chip. This solution can be used with every ladder DAC - 16,18,20 and 24-bit - you only have to set right delay using dip-switches.
Another advantage of this solution is that the circuit works on DATA line only so its intristic jitter do not apply to clock lines - there is absolutely no performance degrade.

(...)
Also on a PCM1704 the bit clock are only used to shift the data into a serial buffer and it is the word clock that would be sensitive for jitter.
The word clock latches the data from the serial buffer into a parallel buffer for further processing.
(...)

In case of PCM1704 it is not true.The clock which is sensitive for jitter is BCLK because analog value is updated on SECOND rising edge of BCLK after WCLK goes down.

Last edited:
Yes, its true, but it is possible with some simple glue logic. Look here: Creating a DIY non oversampling DAC with PCM1704

All you have to do is to delay DATA line properely for each PCM1704 chip. Universal and the most elegant solution is use of variable delay flip flop chip (eg CD4557) for every DAC chip. This solution can be used with every ladder DAC - 16,18,20 and 24-bit - you only have to set right delay using dip-switches.
Another advantage of this solution is that the circuit works on DATA line only so its intristic jitter do not apply to clock lines - there is absolutely no performance degrade.

This is an interresting approach. I have two AD1862 20-bit dac chips which I intend to make into a DIY project. The AD1862 seems to clock in the last bit one bitclock cycle earlier than according to the I2S specification. So the data has to be delayed by (wordlength - 20 - 1) number of bitclock cycles.

Does the exaU2I wordclock run at 64xFs regardless of the chosen bit depth? In that case the data would have to be delayed 11 cycles for both channels and an additional 32 cycles for the right channel.

This is an interresting approach. I have two AD1862 20-bit dac chips which I intend to make into a DIY project. The AD1862 seems to clock in the last bit one bitclock cycle earlier than according to the I2S specification. So the data has to be delayed by (wordlength - 20 - 1) number of bitclock cycles.

Does the exaU2I wordclock run at 64xFs regardless of the chosen bit depth? In that case the data would have to be delayed 11 cycles for both channels and an additional 32 cycles for the right channel.

Yes you're right.
I'm using this circuit with NON-OS DAC based od AD1865 (18-bit) and I play high sampling freq. tracks in non-os mode. Sweet :D

Yes you're right.
I'm using this circuit with NON-OS DAC based od AD1865 (18-bit) and I play high sampling freq. tracks in non-os mode. Sweet :D

That sounds like a real treat. :) But won't the chip be more susceptible to jitter when running a higher sampling frequency?

How do you wire the CD4557 chip to achieve the right amount of delay? I have to admit I didn't understand much from the datasheet. :eek:

I was wondering, on your website you note "Resolution (bits) 16 to 32"
For my application i need word widths of 16, 18, 20 and 24 bits.
Is this not possible ? :confused:

Word widths on the ASIO input can be anything from 8 to 32bits packaged in a standard ASIO 32bit envelope. The ASIO driver asks the player application for data packaged in 32bit envelope. The I2S output is always 32bit.